i think it is pretty gay...

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by victimizati0n, Aug 8, 2005.

1. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

that all of these car makers are coming out with cars with the same names as the old muscle cars.

Like the charger, GTO, ect ect.. (the camaro doesnt count here, because they kinda still made it untill 02)

Now there comming out with the challenger.. i think it is stupid.. they will never be muscle cars, unless you take all of the emissions shit off, put the big engines back in, in the styling that they were 35 years ago, and make them look like what they looked like bach then (the mustang does NOT count, because they just made everything round) but oh wait.. they would just be remaking the old muscle cars.....

2. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

:ugh: You realize that the new GTO has more power, better MPGs, lower emissions, and MUCH better handling than the original, right?

Or are you just bitching for the sake of bitching?

3. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

and all of that stuff makes the car NOT a muscle car.

4. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

5. Wolf

Wolf No one plans to take the path that brings you lowe

Enjoy getting beat in your "muscle car" by a family sedan then. :hsughno:

If you wanna drive an inferior product, that's your call.

6. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

the likely responce from someone who has never had a muscle car, and/or is afaraid of them.

A muscle car would beat the hell out of its new-age counterpart. They arent weighed down with a bunch of needless shit.

And i dont think any family sedan would beat my 400 HP camaro.. sorry to let you down.

I would be willing to race you anywhere, any day in your family sedan.. and i would like to see the look on your face when my taillights start to dissapear.

7. 67olds442

67olds442 uhhhh

as much as i love muscle cars, (i own a 67 442, dad owns a 65 GTO, brother owns a 70 chevelle and my other brother owns a 65 chevelle, so no i'm not "afraid of them") some of the newer ones (GTO, etc) will give some of the hottest stock muscle cars a run for their money.

Oh ya and if you want to get technical your camaro isn't a muscle car. its a *pony* car.

8. victimizati0n

victimizati0n New Member

you obvously didnt click the link someone provided.. did you?

9. adelacruz

adelacruz New Member

[​IMG]

:dunno:

Performance
    0-60 3.5 seconds
    Top Speed: 175 MPH
    Engine
    TurboCharged Inline-4
    405 Horsepower
    Torque: 355 lbs @ 5000 RPM

this family sedan might get you.

10. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Lets see, the old muscle cars had larger motors that put out less HP than their newer, smaller counter-parts. They pollute more, don't handle as well, don't launch as well.
    The newer ones boast better performance than the old ones.

Seems to me that the new class of cars coming out (GTO and Charger) are more muscle cars than the originals.
    The biggest disqualifier is the price tags.

11. TriShield

TriShield Super Moderator® Super Moderator

A muscle car is any RWD car that emphasizes acceleration.

It may or may not handle well, it may or may not be luxurious, it may even have six cylinders, five doors, or a tray at the back. The point is, it delivers the visceral thrill of RWD weight transfer planting you back in your seat and big smokey burnouts.

12. TriShield

I pity people like you.

As much as I enjoy favorites from yesteryear, none of them can run with modern muscle cars in any respect without serious modifications. Bone stock muscle cars are not a threat to most modern cars, even V6 Accords reach 60mph quicker than many of the rumbling classics.

The old cars are held back by things like engines that are prone to overheating, carbeurators that are difficult to tune, keep tuned and start when cold, valves that require leaded fuel for proper operation, horribly designed seats, utterly worthless steering systems, noodley frames and body structures with no rigidity, and subpar braking systems that are downright scary. Most of them are very poorly built with body panels that don't align, windows that don't seal, parts that will never fit correctly, and interiors that fall apart over bumpy roads. It takes high dollar restorations and real attention to detail to make them somewhat close to how cars are made today.

We all have our favorites, but your statement and sentiments shows a clear ignorance on your part and the lowest echelon of our hobby.

13. Fareo

Fareo New Member

whoa whoa whoa ... theyre are making a new challenger? link me plz...

14. JwM

JwM Guest

:bowdown: well put.

15. 67olds442

67olds442 uhhhh

Chevrolet Camaro Yes Pony car ( :fawk: ) Only SS and Z28 models are considered muscle cars.

generic term, they fit in as muscle cars but when you we are talking specifics i don't believe they qualify.
    Muscle car, at least to me is a *MID SIZE* car, with a large engine (for the time). not a small car with a large engine, not a big car with a large engine.

16. twistid

by that def., my 83 chevy impala is a muscle car. :p

17. TriShield

Put a hotter engine in it and you're in business.

My father had a 1979 Bonneville complete with rear wheel skirts that I always wanted to drop a built 455 in. :bigthumb:

18. TriShield

Pony cars are types of muscle cars.

19. twistid

but by your wordings, it already is a muscle car.

20. Fareo

Fareo New Member

thats argueable... i consider pony cars to be sports cars. my def of Muscle car is 2 door Performance Sedan basied off a mid sized 4 door sedan from 1964-1973.

lemme define this, the first muscle car was the GTO in 1964 and it was a 2 Door Lemans with a beefy engine and performace apeal. thus spawning more cars like the Chevelle witch is a 2 door mailbu with beefy engine and performance apeal or the Charger witch was a 2 door cornet with a beefy engine and performance apeal. granted the Mailbu, Cornet and Lemans all came in a 2 door body style they were just the Platform. the Chevelle, GTO and Charger were only offered as 2 Doors. it was a Fad in the late 60s and it spawned abunch of knock off cars that were all 2 door only versions of 4 door cars.

muscle car = 4 door platform
    Charger = Cornet
    Super Bee = Cornet
    Road Runner = Satilite
    Chevelle = Malibu
    GTO = Lemans
    ..and so on..

the Camaro, Firebird, Mustang, Challenger, and 'Cuda were all basied on there own platform and were lighter and smaller then the other mid sized cars. witch is the reason y most of them survived smog.. even though they still had V8s they could get by with a low out put small block and still sell. take away the big blocks the muscle cars are just family cars without the back doors. not that i think the camaro or mustang is any less muscle'y then a chevelle or charger its just a classification thing.

also the smaller cars , Nova, Dart, Duster, Falcon, thoughs are like the Cobalt, Neon, and Focus of thoughs days, they too were there own platform and only had sub names like R/T and SS... and were significantly lighter, they were just a different class all together.

.. in conculsion Muscle cars (in a wierd way) are just name plates. they are a 2 door version of another car thats ment to go fast and called something else. marketing wize it was genius, because to make a new car all they needed to do was take the 2 door verison drop the biggest motor they had in it and rename it and.. wah la .. you have a muscle car.

thats just how i see it.

21. Fareo

Fareo New Member

i am a 67 charger owner and mopar muscle fan but, i completly argee with this statment. they were awsome 40 years ago, but lets face it, most of them in the condion they are in couldnt keep up with alot stuff on the road now unless they are modified...

no worries though, with a lil new skool tech they can be awsome agian:bigthumb:

22. TriShield

Read what I said very carefully.

There is no high-performance intentions to a 1983 Caprice from GM, it's your average vanilla family sedan from the period. It does not have any emphasis on all-out acceleration bone stock. It does not meet the definition without being modified.

23. TriShield

I am sick of small-minded people who can't appreciate all sorts of different muscle, let alone different types of cars.

I love old muscle, I love new muscle, I love muscle period. Everything has it's pros and cons.

24. twistid

but my impala is still fun to drive daily, and it does fit these...
    "It may or may not handle well, it may or may not be luxurious, The point is, it delivers the visceral thrill of RWD weight transfer planting you back in your seat and big smokey burnouts."

25. edrox

edrox A good man, and thorough

I think that "old muscle" is a bit like "classic rock". They were kings in their day, and we still love them for the nostalgia of the hobby. I have owned over 20 MoPar muscle cars, and had a blast with every single one of them. But evolution forces the changes. Yes, I am one of the people unhappy about Dodge making the Charger a 4-door, but what are you gonna do?

I think its funny that the only way to sell the new merchandise is to either a) style it after a car built 40 years ago (mustang, GT40, Thunderbird) or (b) just give it a name from back in the day (GTO, Neon R/T, Dodge "Rumble Bee" truck, Charger). Really shows that the US manufacturers can't compete unless they stand on the shoulders of the giants of the 60s and 70s.

But the bastardization of the names did not occur recently. The names were ruined in the mid-late 70s through the 80s. Mustang II? 2.2L Charger? Remember the weak-ass 80s Camaros? Those are the ones you will seldome hear people reminiscing about.

And, I am sorry to say, but today's "muscle cars" will typically out-accelerate their namesakes if both cars are unmodified production vehicles.

But - drive to the store in a 69 Charger, and an 05 Charger, and see who gets more attention....