I think I'm ready to take strength training to a higher level

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by forum95, Oct 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. forum95

forum95 Come see bout us OT Supporter

Some quick background information:
    18 years old, been lifting for about 1.8 yrs. 6'1" took my body weight from approx. 155 - 210lbs. I've been on Bill Starr's 5x5/ modified 5x5 for close to a year now. I will be taking the whole following week off from the gym to give my body some well deserved rest. I feel my body has adapted, and it's time for a change. With the goal in mind of competing in Strongman I was thinking of following the guidlines of Linear Periodization. I understand the basic idea behind Linear Periodization, but is the philosophy behind the program more for the athletically minded? ie. football, rugby etc.
    Now if this indeed is the right routine for me, how would I go about setting it up? I was thinking of posting a topic similar to this on Marunde-Muscle, but I'd like to gather as much info before doing so....

Thanks

-Andrew

2. forum95

3. Huge Evil Robot

Huge Evil Robot Must not sleep, must warn others

I don't have much to say about linear periodization that hasn't been said before, but as for stongman stuff, it's fantastic. I have seen my best gains in overall strength by far doing the limited amount of work I have access to (farmer's walks, tire flip, sled dragging, overhead pressing). Just wish I could do it more often, but it's hard with school and work to make time : /

4. Huge Evil Robot

Huge Evil Robot Must not sleep, must warn others

Oh, and for what it's worth, your base level of strength seems somewhat low (I know mine is), though no one has ever put forth a decent quantitative measure of what a "good base" is. I would say 2x BW squat/DL, 1.5xBW bench would be a good place to start. I'd consider sticking with 5x5 if it is working.

5. forum95

Implementing strongman stuff in my routine would be just about impossible for me right now, but def. in the future. I'd like to build as much gym strength as possible, and hopefully compete this summer just as a learning expirience and in the teenage division just so the shit can be light ;)

6. forum95

yep strength is reletively low, probably around average for my age, but 5x5 is def not working anymore thats for sure, and to be honest i'm a bit tired of it.

7. Jam_Master_J

Jam_Master_J New Member

Hit it nigga, foos about to be like, "dammmnnnn that nigga strong". No, but seriously hit it hard, I am very proud. Wanna make out?

8. forum95

bump, maine, chris, gogz, ceaze get in here

9. GOGZILLA

GOGZILLA Double-Uranium Member

whatre your numbers? I know that most american OL programs are all about linear periodization but its usually used to peak for a meet/contest but I guess you could use it for whatever. Theres no point to doing anything "advanced" or "complicated" at your level. If 5x5 isnt working anymore switch to some high volume stuff for a while then do some low volume stuff for a while etc. Mix and match. You can do anything and still gain if you know how to push yourself which is most peoples problem. K.I.S.S. Also if you're looking to get into some sort of competitive sport with lifting just go for it. Find a group in your area and get in there. Theres no point in waiting to get to a certain level unless you've never touched a weight in your life.

10. forum95

thanks for the reply, I'm still not sure which direction I will take my training but maybe I will start hitting the compound lifts with some higher volume, like 3x8/3x10/3x12. I will try and learn which type of training my body responds to best.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.