i think i'm going to finance an 07 gsxr 600

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by samonkahonk, Oct 26, 2007.

1. samonkahonk

samonkahonk New Member

as my first bike ever. i'm really superstitious when it comes to buying used stuff, since i've really bad luck with used cars, and the only one i didnt was when i bought a new s2000 which got stolen anyway.

im taking the msf next week what else should i know? i walked into the store today and sat on a few and i liked this one the best.

2. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

you should know that its a lot of bike and it will be easier to begin with a older used bike and ride the shit out of it for a year and then sell it for approximately what you paid for it. you wont sweat it when you drop it and you wont be as overly protective of it. youll still get to ride and get a lot of useful experience from a less powerful bike that you can use when you get a new bike.

that being said coming from a person who bought an sv with most of ot and other forums recommendations, though i enjoy it, i wish i would have bought a supersport. and now with a purchase of a new home it might be a while before i get into a new bike, so its pretty useless to sell this one. in reality buy what you want to ride, its all going to kill you the same in the end.

ibbikecrewflames

3. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

As a person who just got one this summer, I'd say don't get it as your first bike. It's my third bike and it's still a lot of bike to handle (and I've been riding for 16 or 17 years now). If you're stuck on buying new, get a SV650, GSX650F, 599 Honda, EX500, GS500, something less stupid. I'm glad as hell I waited as long as I did to get a new 600, they can get scary sometimes.

4. samonkahonk

samonkahonk New Member

well the whole idea here is i really want a bike i can grow with. as of now i'm pretty terrified after hearing all these horror stories from people i know and online, and i'm hoping that should be enough to keep me under control.

i've signed up for the soonest msf class i could get (next week) and really just want something i'll appreciate for a long time. i also hear stories of people starting out with 250cc/500cc and then a month later regretting it and wishing they had bought a 600.

so i'm pretty set on doing this but its still good to hear where other people started out and how they feel about this, and i'm still open to hear your opinions

5. Vermincelli

Vermincelli Banned

wait until after the MSF course and you get some feel for bikes in the class. Buying a new bike with NO experience on a bike at all is a good way to get into a loan on something that you may not like, may not feel comfortable etc.

6. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

There's a reason the majority of the people who have been riding for a long time will tell you to get a beginner-suitable bike. It's because it's the safest and smartest way to get into riding, and you'll become a better rider. Ultimately you can do whatever you want, however I'll say after 6 years working in a motorcycle dealership that many if not most of the write-offs I see are caused by a combination of too much bike and not enough rider experience. A 2007 GSXR600 is simply not a suitable bike to start riding on. Buy something older and tamer (older 600 or any of the bikes I already mentioned if you're hell bent on buying a new bike to scratch up) and you'll be a lot better off.

Cliffs: I think you're a moron but it's your life and your money. Make sure you have good insurance.

7. bubbaZR2

bubbaZR2 i poop too much, then i get tired... OT Supporter

What he said...

And if you survive the crash, you're going to be making monthly payments on a broken pile of junk

I really wish people would quit trying so hard to be cool and just do the smart thing.

8. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

hit me up anytime when u get it

i should have my rr back soon. i live by sf state me and my roomie are always riding around the city and 1. Unfortunately some bitch backed up into it yesterday when it was parked and ran it over, so i dropped it off over at mission motorcycles today, her insurance will be covering everything.

i started on my rr, u just gotta be responsible about what youre riding, and be willing to accept what youre getting into if u make some dumb drops as a new rider being on a brand new bike. just see how u feel after the msf. i have friends who have started on "Starter" bikes and crashed/dropped numerous times, but me and my roomate both started on rr's and havent ever had a drop.

trying to learn in the city would really suck though, when i first had mine it was over in san jose for a while and i just cruised at night around the empty streets till i was completely comfortable with using the brakes well and slow speed cornering. now its all second nature jamming through the sf day traffic madness. man it makes getting around light years easier :o

9. samonkahonk

samonkahonk New Member

that is almost exactly how i feel..thats how i want to start out

this wont be my daily driver wherever i go, my car got stolen almost a month ago but i my mom is willing to let me beat around in her SUV (shes retired) so i can take that to work and back.

i want to get into this hobby slowly but i really want to make sure that i buy something that i can enjoy for a while and not end up making this purchase in a couple months after i'm done learnign how to ride on a 250

10. samonkahonk

samonkahonk New Member

i'm not worried about being cool i just really like the bike :greddy:

11. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

fixed ;)

12. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

DRZ400SM is a great bike for having fun on in the city, great for lanesplitting and fun on goat trails...

13. Original

Original OT Supporter

:werd: to the :werd: you'll cry :hs:

And it's not like these used bikes have been abused for 80,000 miles like some Honda Civic. SS's were made to ride fast, it won't fall apart at 10,000 miles.

14. beanolo

beanolo It does a body good!!!1

I don't see the point of this thread, as a noob I'm sure you'll get the bike you have your eyes on regardless of whatever anyone says. All you have to see is that it looks sick and you want it. Don't need to make up things like buying used vs new.. etc.

Fact of the matter is, if you wanna learn, start with a smaller 250 for like 1500-2000, a 95-99 Ninja sells for around there. Even if you practice for 3 months with it, I can almost GUARANTEE you can sell it for the same price.

Then go use that money that you just got back and go get the GSXR. But trust me dude.. you are gonna lay that new bike down and/or you will get it stolen. Either way thats lose for you as that bike won't be worth what you paid the second your friend helps you ride it off the lot.

I'm assuming you are taking the 11/8 MSF, I know someone who might be in the same class as you.

15. the_canadian

the_canadian New Member

supermotos look like a blast, my cousin is planning on getting some supermoto rims/tires and bigger discs for his 2000 wr400

16. Junkie

Junkie re-tarded OT Supporter

yeah, they're a lot of fun - i've ridden a friend's XR400R with an 18" front wheel (most supermotos have 17s, but I was nowhere near the traction limits of his 18s) and street tires - major wheelie machine, i can't imagine how it was with the 21" front. oh, CR250 USD forks on it too...

17. zxghostrider

zxghostrider Sometimes you gotta hop on two wheels

You've been riding for 17 years, and have a hard time handling a 600? :hsugh:

18. zxghostrider

MSF Course is a must, glad to hear you're doing that first. A 600 is fine as a starter bike, just take it slow at first. At least you will have more power to work with as you get more comfortable riding.

Just remember.......don't ride as fast as your guardian angel can fly.

19. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

I didn't say that I have a hard time handling it. I said it's a lot of bike. Learn to read, then come back to me ;)

20. zxghostrider

"It's my third bike and it's still a lot of bike to handle (and I've been riding for 16 or 17 years now)."

I can read just fine ;)

You said "it's still a lot of bike to handle", and you've been riding for 17 years. Anyone who rides for 17 years, and still thinks a 600 is a lot to handle, has not gotten a grasp on riding.

21. noxxs

noxxs New Member

this thread is made about 10 times a season. everyone always says you'll be fine on the turbo busa as your first bike, just dont ride it at full throttle. the other half says get a 50cc scooter.

you're going to do whatever you feel like, just know that riding isnt like driving a car. when you get going really fast and then realize you have to make that turn coming up, you cant just yank the wheel and have four tires of traction make the turn for you.

yes people have made it by having a race replica as their first bike, unfortunately the people who didnt make it are not here to tell you their story.

22. luxy

luxy OT Supporter

Note I didn't say "it's too much for me to handle" or "I can't handle it". It is a lot of bike, whether you've been riding for 1 day or 16 years. I've ridden everything from 125's to Busa's to H2's to 1000cc Superbikes, that's not going to change the fact that I think a 600 is too much for a beginner. Granted the 600 is probably tame enough if you keep it under 6 grand but who's going to do that?

23. dr.zed

dr.zed DR.ZED OT Supporter

You will love the bike. Mildly aggressive riding position.

Did you try and R6 and a CBR? If you have enjoy the bike.

Get frame sliders as your first mod. I've been riding a low mileage CBR600F4 as my first bike and I had to lay it down at a set of lights a few weeks ago. Can't tell you exactly what happened, other than I think I lost my footing in the city (Toronto) on a streetcar track. First and last time I'm riding in the city again.

It was in front of a ton of people in a bus shelter to. :(

24. Corky

Corky I lent Jesus $20

Of the new 600's, I say the Honda is the most beginner friendly, but a Gix isn't a bad choice at all. If you're not a total dumbass and understand how to ride and be smooth with it, you'll be fine with a GSXR. I actually support using new bikes as beginner bikes - the brakes are better, the ergos are better, the suspension and available tires are better, and they're lighter than air. You'll take better care of it, and have a real bike waiting for you after the break in period (which will break you in to riding without even thinking about the power on top).

Good luck man. Don't let the dealership beat you up, pay cash for warranties and accessories, and get some good fucking gear. No bullshit. Spend about a grand and do it right.

25. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

thats actually exactly what i did. kmy 600rr redlines at 15k and is plenty tame up until about 9k

this is why its all in the rider.