GUN I think I'm going to build

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by KIDRR, Sep 6, 2008.

1. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

An LMT 18" MRP with this on it

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:wackit::wackit::wackit::wackit: There goes another 4 grand

2. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Funny. I had/have plans to someday build an 18" SPR with that same optic. Go us! :wavey:

3. TwistedMind

TwistedMind New Member

can I ask why?

4. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Why not an EOTech/Aimpoint w/ a magnifier instead?

5. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

While a very sexy looking set up you get murdered on height over bore issues when using the doctor. This opinion is based on experience from 3 gun shooting so it has some competition shooting bias.

The red dot mounted on top of the acog has one benefit and one disadvantage. The benefit is that you can use the doctor to find a long range target, then drop your head down into the scope. The disadvantage is that it sits almost 4" over bore. That means your short (very short) range shots are all going to be 4" high.

If it were me if I needed to find a long range target I would break cheek weld and look out of the scope. Since the doctor is a 1x optic it doesn't really offer an advantage my own eyesight doesn't. Meaning if I can see it with my own eyesight I swing the gun in the general direction and I can pick it out with my scope. Don't really need a red dot for this.

On the other hand often I'm called on to make a point blank head shot something like 6'. With that set up I have to hold over the head to get a center hit. With a side mounted optic like what I'm running it is only 2.5" over bore if even that. I can hold top 3rd and get a center hit. It is just easier for my brain to do the corrections without conscious thought. I've pretty much trained myself to aim top 3rd on every target. This gets you the best shot placement.

Regarding the dual aimpoint/eotech w/ magnifier. This set up is kind of pricey. To be honest it is not as good as a 1x4 variable in my opinion. Not as fast as also fixed power. In 3 gun it qualifies as 2 optics putting you in open class. Even still I think in the next few years you'll see the U.S military move away from the aimpoint/eotech + magnifier set up and go to a acog plus side mounted doctor set up. For a rugged set up for the battle field I think this will be the hot set up. The military unfortunately a few years behind but they have put this configuration out in iraq and other hot spots for evaluation. At least 1000 to my knowledge

6. THT

THT The easy way is always mined

Cheaper than a TA31DOC though.

7. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

I want something that can kick ass from 500yards and still be somewhat effective inside 50

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

seriously. 500 is not easy with a AR. The better NRA high power guys are doing it out to 600 but there is a lot of correction with the 223/5.56 On a windy day it is as much luck as anything else.

Even if you had the equipment you would need to be fairly skilled to pull it off with any kind of consistency.

If I were looking to do 500+ I would want a variable power 3x9 with a side mounted secondary dot sight. Actually that is what I'm doing. Should have my new scope early next week. Trijicon has charged my Credit card.

This is going to be one of the very first real range reports of the new 3x9 mil dot accupoint.