MMA I think I'm getting bored with training

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by FrankieSixxxgun, Sep 13, 2007.

1. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun New Member

I've been in for 2-3 months now and it's the same routine day in and day out. One trainer wants to basically just have me do situps, no other workouts, and another trainer thinks it's funny to train my 200lb ass like his 95lb ass trains, so I just end up getting hurt. I've only learned how to block a jab so far, yet they talk about throwing me in the ring to spar. Is it maybe time to get out of boxing and maybe into another type of more structured training? Am I just being a punk?

2. FrankieSixxxgun

Should I do that before or after I do crunches with the fat chicks? Cause I tell you, I'm a lean mean fighting machine after I do toe touches next to the hefty chick in the unitard. :rofl:

3. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

that doesnt sound very fun

4. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Learning to fight isn't fun for the most part. Its repetitive and boring.

5. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

Overworking you and making you do a ton of situps.

read between the lines.

6. FrankieSixxxgun

Overworking you or making you do a ton of situps, not and. It also depends on the trainer I get. It's either 1000 leg lifts with one guy or I get to do an hour of squats followed by atomic drops and other slam-me-with-heavy-objects exercises. There seems to be no medium ground. After the leg lift session or death by squats, that's it. Nobody says, "Okay, so here's how you block this," or, "Here's how you counter that." I get a, "Let's go hit the bag for a couple of rounds." I've literally had one session in the ring working defense since I signed up and I think I've hit the pads with a trainer 3 or 4 times.

I didn't come to the place out of shape and I'm not out of shape now. Prior to boxing training I had been strength training and body building. I came up from 160lbs to ~200lbs, so I'm not a tub of shit or anything. I just don't feel like I'm getting what I wanted out of this. I wanted to learn to punch properly and defend myself from punches, not do 8 minute abs or squats. I have a normal gym membership for that shit.

Are martial arts any different? I've sat in on a few classes and the whole time seems to be more concentrated on the form of punches, kicks, and throws. There's not a whole lot of dilly dallying and fitness crap going in, or at least it seems.

7. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

you need to say exactly that to the trainers.

To me it sounds like the kind of place that has huge classes, tons of people who are in it for fitness, not to train seriously, and a small handful of serious boxers.

If you ask me, you shouldn't be sparring at 3 months, but you should be learning defense and working mits.

If they dont give you what you want then bounce. But every gym is different, you should go to a few others and see what the people getting 1:1 training are doing.

8. FrankieSixxxgun

I'll try saying it again, but what I've told them in the past, verbatim, is, "Hey, I'm not here for the fitness, I'm already in pretty good shape. I'm here to learn to fight, and if I end up being good at it, I'd like to rep the gym in some upcoming competitions. I always wanted to say I had a boxing record, even if it's something like 0-3-0."

The only person to take me seriously so far is the coach's son, and I tell you, he punched me up good the one time we training defense. One of his jabs actually busted my lip. My fault for telegraphing a parry, he faked me out. Sadly, the coach's son is young, and is typically busy with high school. It might be time for be to bounce, but not time for me to stop training. I do want to know how to fight properly still, which is why I now have to entertain martial arts.

9. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

haha, if you don't know feints they are very tricky. I love throwing feints all the time.

I say just leave. this place sounds like even if they start training you they will take their pretty little time.

research different martial arts and see if any sound appealing to you.

10. FrankieSixxxgun

I did pretty good. Out of all the jabs he threw, I only took 5 of them to the head. I did dips, or whatever they're called, where you duck under and into the jab with both single and double jabs, and then I did parrys. I only palmed at him a couple of times to let him know I was gonna parry.

I'm gonna go again tonight, I haven't gone all week, and see what's up. If it's another hour of jumping rope and playing medicine ball catch, I think I'll bounce.

11. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I was being sarcastic

12. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

sounds like you need to find a boxing gym that smells horrible that women in spandex wouldn't even consider stepping foot into.

13. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

It can be repetitive, but I wouldnt call it boreing

14. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

i like to train but just not lately.. but in a week i will

15. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

poor emo chechen

16. Titus

Titus New Member

17. tkluu

tkluu New Member

im 3 months into MT and love every min of it

18. Ricey McRicerton

Ricey McRicerton New Member

I'm sidelined for like 2 weeks from having a mole on my back removed.

19. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

I think the thread title should be "I think I'm getting bored with not training"

20. FrankieSixxxgun

:rofl:

I didn't even go last night, I just went to Ballys and worked shoulders and abs. It's gonna cost me $100 to break this contract, which is weak, but I guess it beats the $60 a month I'm paying to do situps.

21. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

$100 to cancel is not bad at all in the grand scheme of things. I say hurry up and shop around while you are still a member and use that as bargaining power to waive sign up fees at another gym.

let them think you're happy and think they are selling you on leaving. make them waive fees cause you'd have to pay $100 to leave there.

then poop on their door step as you leave.

22. FrankieSixxxgun

Shit, I can do that anyway, the haggling thing. What are they gonna do, call my gym and verify that I'm still a member. So what kinda martial arts do you guys train in?

23. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

I do strictly Muay Thai. I do a little boxing and a smidge of jiu jitsu, but got hurt last time I rolled so I haven't been back.

what are you looking to get out of trianing and what has sounded interesting to you in the past?

24. Titus

Titus New Member

check my reply on the other page. i gave links to the best bjj/mma places around.

25. FrankieSixxxgun

I like standing up more than I do rolling on the ground, and I like aggressive more than I like passive, defensive fighting. I'm really just looking for the knowledge of fighting and maybe some mental discipline. I'd be nice to know how to properly throw a punch, or I guess now, a kick.