SRS I think I'm depressed

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by epiphonist, Sep 9, 2007.

1. epiphonist

epiphonist New Member

Well, just as the title says. I'm 16 years old and don't see a purpose in living. I've had a problem with depression once before a few years ago, but then I had no friends in school and got picked on constantly. Now however, I have a group of close friends, I have people who care for me, and I have my music which I assume could take me places.

I don't know why I would be depressed, but anytime I think about my future, ie college, a job, etc, i don't see a purpose at all. I don't see a reason to spend my time building up to something that is just materialistic.

Am I depressed? I'm not sure what the textbook definition is. Also, should I talk to my doctor about this? My family doesn't have the kind of money for therapy so that would be out of the question. Just a regular physician. Please help out guys.

2. jmezz

jmezz layin in bed stretchin my pumped quads for hours

Posts like this piss me off.

mod edit: Post like yours piss me off too, if the OP could "Get Over It" he would have done it himself already, the fact that he's reaching out for help and gets instantly the 'get over it' ,being rejected by you and his complaint not being seriously taken in aspect, is exactly what makes your post so horrible. Your motivating him NOT to seek help for his problems, NOT to seek a theraphist , and for him just to keep on walking around with his problems so they can build up and make this individual only dive deeper into a depression, in other words your post wasn't helpfull at all.:hsnono:

You are 16 years old and you're complaining that life isn't what you expect it. You don't want to work for 'materialistic' things. That's bullshit. Our world is materialistic, you need to learn to deal with that. The computer you're using? Materialistic. The car's you drive in? Materialistic. The phones you use? Materialistic. Get over it.

You remind me of those pseudo-intellectual people in high school who think they're so much smarter and 'gifted' than everyone else and they're trying to seem like they're 'outside the box.'

When I was 16 the last thing I was thinking about was how depressed I was because I wanted to go against the grain and have sand in my vag about the current state of the world.

You haven't even seen the real world yet. If you are so against 'materialistic' things then pack up shop and go live in the forest where it's devoid of all things materialistic. We'll see how fast you come running back.

I don't think you need to see any sort of doctor or get prescribed any pills or anything like that. I think you need to get your head out of your ass and screwed on straight. You don't need any medicinal help for that.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2007
  3. yawgmoth

yawgmoth nine > ten OT Supporter

Yeah... jmezz, I dont' think you should post things like this.

threadstarter, you should talk to a therapist. I started feeling depressed when I was 11, and had no idea why. I told myself it was school, then missing my mom, then depression itself depressed me, it was insane how many reasons I tried to give myself why I felt like I did, in the end, it's just something inside you, a poor outlook, a chemical imbalance, you never know. People like the above poster told me the same thing when I was growing up and I'm 24 and still deal with cycles of depression. I say there is no harm in seeing someone and talking to them, go do it.

You don't have to worry about all the things you worry about.

4. Hellcat

Hellcat New Member

If you have to ask yourself repeatedly if you are depressed - you might be focusing on "having depression" so much that it could actually make you feel depressed. Focus on more positive things than trying to find fault with yourself or the flaws in your life.

Life does not have to be about materialism - life is what you make of it. You need to find your own purpose. Some choose materialism, others choose power, others choose to help others. No purpose is right or wrong, it just becomes what and how you choose to live by.

You could talk to a doctor or school counselor if you felt it necessary, but I don't think you are really depressed, just discouraged. You are at the stage where you start figuring out what to do with your life, but don't think you have to be forced into the search for material wealth.

5. Hellcat

Hellcat New Member

I think you're in the wrong forum. Go back to OT to rip on people, don't kick people while they are down.

Just because you were that way doesn't mean the poster is anything like you or your experience.

6. jmezz

Why, because it's not something he'd want to hear? Too bad.

I don't doubt that people get depressed. I truly believe depression is a problem. I completely understand people get depressed if they lose a loved one, or if they've been abused their whole life, or for whatever reason they have absolutely no self worth.

Then you get people like the above poster who are all "Woe is me" and who want to make their existence better than everyone else's by not conforming to the norm and going against the grain and in this case, revolt against being 'materialistic.'

mod edit: How have you helped the OP by saying all of these things? Seriously if you aren't going to help out, then don't bother to post at all, unless you can justify on how this is going to help the OP i don't see how this is contributing at all.

7. jmezz

I don't post in the OT section but thanks for the suggestion anyway.

I expect people to disagree with me. But just because people are going to disagree and get fired up about my opinion doesn't mean I'm not going to voice it.

8. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

jmezz. Some people can't help it. Some of them don't know where these feelings are coming from. it's not a choice that they make. Some people purposely try to be different and act like that, they piss me off greatly. But there are some serious cases. Imagine sitting on your couch and all of a sudden you get very confused and start to panic in your head. You close your eyes so it goes away but things just get worse. You can't help it, you can't explain it, your fucked up.

9. Ideotique

Ideotique Drinking on monday nights does not make me an alco

To be brutally honest...

The term "depression" gets tossed around far too much and far too easily. I've known/dealt with people with clinical depression, and it is vastly different from depression coming from anxiety about the future. You are 16, you probably don't know what is coming in the future. I feel it is something we all go through. I know I did, and from the sounds of it mine came from a similar source.

Depression to me is not something which you go "I'm not sure about which direction my life should take, or why it needs to go in a particular way, and this concerns me".mod edit: I rather have the term depression tossed around , then to start denying that this person doesn't have a problem, even if its a complete lie we have to take his case serious, i aknowledge that there are people who abuse it but its better to be safe then to be sorry IMO.

10. Seto Kaiba

Seto Kaiba Screw the rules I have money!

just because he's 16 doesn't mean he doesnt feel this way. i mean, he's not saying he's going to cut his wrists because the love of his life (whos 15) dumped him. he's saying a real problem that adults have too.

to the original poster, i'd say welcome to life :o it sucks

11. epiphonist

epiphonist New Member

I'm not against buying shit or owning items, thats not what I said. I said that I see my future and it has no real point, just make money to spend money to be able to make more money. No real point where I enjoy life.

I've tried talking to my school counselor but they're really only there for scheduling and college applications.

12. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

The real meaning of life is to love and help others, as you help to make other people happy,you will notice that life acts like a mirror, what you cast into it will be reflected back on you ,as this happyness flows back into your life. You will see that you are here on earth to learn valuable life lessons that are there to make your soul grow stronger.

So no you aren't here for no reason, the soul continues on to live after you die www.near.death.com , its essensial to understand that suicide is pointless, i did that in a previous life and you just get send back to complete the life up to the point that you failed to complete it, and have to surpass that point anyway. Even if you don't believe that, you are here. And while you are here you need to aknowledge that if your life goes down the drain, you are going to experience a lot of misery, and this is the goal of your life, to escape the misery that makes you unhappy. Thats where you work for.

There are only three directions in life, down where death lies, stay where you are and go in circles, or up where an improved life lies ahead, the first 2 are worthless and lead to nowhere, this is important because it means you can set the course of your life, to the only direction that is valuable ,namely upwards towards into progress. It doesn't matter from there on wether you win or lose in life, you simply keep on following the positive course, that way you can ALWAYS be confident no matter what happens, because you know that going for gold in your life is the only right way to live.

Life Is more of a test to challenge your abilities... set a goal and see if you can achieve it.pick a skill & stick to it.

Life is like a tool or hammer, you either use it to build your life in the best possible way, or you lay that tool down and do nothing. Of course you should do the best to build your life into all you can, because in the end you will grade and look back on your own life and when that happens you want to look back on good results instead of bad.So always continue on to Build the best life. Like to tackle things and be activly a part of life.

13. Ideotique

Ideotique Drinking on monday nights does not make me an alco

Fair point on the mod edit.

I wasn't saying that it is/is not depression in this particular case - just that it can appear that the term depression is often used for anxiety, to the detriment of those who are seriously suffering from depression, if that makes sense.

14. epiphonist

epiphonist New Member

So what should I start doing to get past this? I can't afford therapy and haven't ever found help in God, I stopped believing quite a few years ago. I don't want to seem overly negative, but don't know to what extent something like finding faith will help me.

15. illmaceyougood

illmaceyougood New Member

This is the guy who's modding this forum? :eek3:

16. ireland

ireland New Member

to be honest, you may not like what i have to say but i think i can relate to you a bit. i'm only just about 21 so i'm not gonna act like i have the answers to life, but i know that at your age you feel like you really know the world and what it's all about; and i ranted about the same things, working to be materialistic etc etc. to be honest, as stupid as it may sound. it's just a fad that certain people your age deal with, me included. you're 16, slow down a bit, your thinking is way ahead of yourself. you're still very much a kid, enjoy yourself and take life as it comes. theirs a reason you don't go into college at 13 and get married at 16. your mental state will change as you get closer to the different stages of life that you're obsessing about. theirs a TON of successful people that make lives for themselves without being "materialistic" so to speak, give it time you'll see.

17. keysmachine

keysmachine New Member

depression can be a very complicated thing however in my experience I've noticed a lot of people that were depressed and lost in their lives was due mostly because they were lonely.

Humans as a species are a social creature just like apes, parrots, dogs etc.. Ever notice that if you neglect any of the above animals they go insane and start self mutilating themselves. Its because they're depressed. Depression in animals has been linked to humans as well. Because all we are is "smarter" animals.

I'm not saying this is why your depressed but it could be a root cause. If not then I'm analyzing your condition in the wrong method and in that case. directly getting down the root cause of your depression would involve a little bit more of why you feel what you feel and when it kicks in the most.