SRS I think I'm addicted to being depressed

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by F.O.D., May 3, 2006.

1. F.O.D.

F.O.D. Guest

It's the only thing I've ever know...I need help

2. Trickypants

Trickypants OT Supporter

More details....

Have you talked to a professional about this? Taken an online quiz (at minimum)? Anything?

3. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

I suggest posting in the Asylum

4. soujiro

soujiro New Member

that is commonly known as coming up with an excuse for not facing the things that life throws at us everyday. or, in simpler terminology, being a lazy cry-baby.

5. MrInconsistant

MrInconsistant New Member

here's how i cured my depression

1. get off the computer
    2. go outside
    3. run until it hurts, then run a while longer

try that a few days and see how you feel

6. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

see a psychologist for that.

7. soujiro

soujiro New Member

. . .aaaaaand tell him to tell you, to stop telling yourself that you're depressed. Or for that matter skip the psychologist as a middleman between you and the person you should be dealing with(yourself) and save yourself a few bucks.

8. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

what is the source of your depression? somewhere inside you, you know the answer. you dont know how to deal with it, or you would have. depending on the nature of the issue, help will come in different ways.

9. Daria

Daria New Member

I used to think I was somewhat "addicted" to depression or that I couldn't get out of my depression, because I WANTED to be depressed. Any time some bad thought would come into my head (something bad that happened, or some self-esteem issue), I would dwell on the issue instead of taking steps to solve it or putting it out of my mind. Somehow, I just felt good to be negative about things, but then I would just become more and more angry and depressed the more I let the thought bother me. Anything that went wrong with my day was this HUGE issue and I ended up having problems with my anger.

I tried to read books and talk to friends and get involved in social activities. All of these things helped for a few hours or a few days, but in the end, every day was a struggle. Just to walk out the front door was a huge struggle with myself. I didn't want to, but you have to, so I had to force myself. EVERY morning. Even if it was to go do something fun on the weekends with friends.

After several years, and having talked with my parents, I finally admitted that trying to deal with my depression by myself just wasn't working. I went to go see my family doctor and she sent me to see a councellor. I spoke to this councellor every week about my past, and I realized that just talking about my past lifted this HUGE weight off my shoulders. Alot of my mental issues just disappeared. However, after about a year, school started becoming more stressful and I was taking on a part-time job. All of my mental problems returned with the new stresses of every day life, along with some new problems I hadn't had in the past (suicidal thoughts, feelings of hopelessness, having stupid arguments over little things with everybody, etc.).

I went to see my doctor again and she recommended medication, but I refused. I said I would only use medication as a last resort. The doctor sent me off to see a psychiatrist and he told me, "You seem to be trying hard, but you don't need to struggle like this. I will set up sessions with you, if you just want to talk, but I strongly recommend medication". So I tried the medication.

I figured that if the medication did not work, then a chemical imbalance in my brain was not the problem, and that it was my life that still needed reworking. After about a month of being on the medication and seeing the psychiatrist, I noticed that I finally felt NORMAL. I still had negative thoughts in my head, but I was actually able to rationalize with myself and say to myself, "You shouldn't be thinking about this; it will only make you angry", or something along those lines. Walking out the door was easy. Exercising was even easier, because it wasn't a struggle to force myself to do anything anymore. I could actually make up my mind and do something, instead of being tired and lazy all the time.

I'm not saying medication is the answer, however I would like to say that, through my experience, self-help can only take you so far. Seeking professional help can help you to pinpoint your mental disability, if you have one or the professionals can at least guide you in the right direction.

10. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Depression = The Asylum. Moved.

11. bitetobreakskinn

bitetobreakskinn Blinky the Christmas Ghost

If I read your post right, it seems like you've found a way to feel better for yourself. That's truly awesome, and I hope you keep it up :love: