I think I need a rotary or a professional...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by 91RS, Nov 15, 2009.

1. 91RS

91RS If this flag offends you... you need a history les

Well. I traded the C230 in on a C55. It's black. I knew the paint was swirled up when I bought it, but the car was a little dirty when I looked at it and I told them I didn't want the car touched at al by "clean up." After I washed it, there is some acid rain spots, swirls, and halograms from their buff job before it went on the lot. I know they buffed it for sure because the reflection is great and the water beads nicely. I know I'm not going to be able to do any correction with my Porter Cable. So, I've come to the point where I either need to buy a rotary or find a good local professional to correct the paint. I'm OCD enough that I could probably work a rotary and not FUBAR anything, but I'm scared of one because I know it has the ability to mess up some stuff. If I bought one, I could also use it for my Trailblazer and my mom's Tahoe and the few outside details I do every once in a while. I've got some Meg's 105 and 205 I bought with my last AutoGeek sale coupon and some Optimum Polish II and Finish. What should I do? I know there isn't really a "beginners" rotary, so which would be a good one to buy? DeWalt or Makita?

Here's what I've got:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And a picture of said C55:

[​IMG]

2. BlazinBlazer Guy

BlazinBlazer Guy Witness to The De-Evolution of Mankind.

The DeWalt or Makita would both be good choices for a rotary. My personal choice between the two is the Makita, but that's only because I like the bale handle.

HOWEVER, since you say you're a bit nervous about using one, I would highly recommend looking into the Flex 3401VRG DA polisher. I have one that I use for about 95% of the details I do, and it gets the vast majority of defects out of paint that a rotary does, and is quite a bit easier to use (it's very similar to a PC in how it feels, but the additional power/torque is clearly evident). Just in looking at the pics you posted, I'm confident that it would be able to take care of the issues you have on that C55 when used with M105/205.

Nice ride, BTW... congrats! :bigthumb:

3. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

Let me guess, paint code C040, right? Ceramiclear black.

You *might* be able to get that out with a PC using the KB method (do a search on www.autopia.org ). Basically, you use a low profile orange cutting pad well primed with Meguiars #105, speed on 6 and heavy pressure using slow passes.

[y]s51LHJrXAK4[/y]

Full write-up on the car is here: http://www.autopia.org/forum/pro-details-before-after/124267-absolutely-hammered-335-pics-video.html

BMW jet black is definitely softer than Mercedes C040 paint so you might need the extra power of the Flex 3401. However, if you want to go rotary, Meguiars #105, #205 and 3M Ultrafina work very well on ceramiclear paint.

4. 91RS

Hell, it couldn't hurt to try the KB method. I think I have a heavy cutting pad for the 105 somewhere.

5. 91RS

I think I'm going to go with the Makita. Do I want to use the wool pads that come with it or use foam pads (like I already have) with it?

6. BlazinBlazer Guy

Toss those wool pads in the trash.

7. 91RS

That's what I thought, sounds like paint destruction to me. What pads and speeds should I use with the Meg's 105 and 205? Would I want to use the rotary for both of those products and then use the PC after for the wax? I think I may put Vanilla Moose on with a coat of Opti-Seal for extra shine/protection.

8. Scottwax

#105 at 1000-1200 rpms. Work time is short, about 60 seconds.

#205 at 1200-1500 rpms, finish @ 1000 rpms with light pressure.

9. 91RS

Alright. Should I use the orange light cutting pad with the 105 and the polishing pad with the 205? Or would it depend on the condition of the paint (meaning experiment)? I have these unused Lake Country Kompressor pads: red finishing, white polishing, orange light cutting, and purple heavy compound. Sorry if I'm asking too many questions, I just know I'll probably be nrevous as hell when it actually comes time to do this on my C55 (I'm going to try it on my Trailblazer first though for some experience).

Oh, and I know I need to stay away from sharp edges like body lines and such, but what about curved places like the tops of the fenders and the "buldges" in the hood behind the headlights? Just take it easy in those areas?

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  10. BlazinBlazer Guy

Just like any other polishing process, start with the least aggressive combination. Start off with the polishing pad/M205, move to the cutting pad if you need to. If that still doesn't do it, move up to 105 with the polishing pad.

Note that the paint on your Trailblazer is going to be MUCH softer than the paint on the C55 and will respond to less aggressive pad/product combos a lot faster, so don't get discouraged if what works for you in practicing on the TB doesn't work so well when you move up to the MB.

11. 91RS

I won't be worried so much about that but more so getting a technique down that won't ruin the paint on my new car! My Trailblazer is in fantastic shape, but it's an 02 with 100k of highway miles so it has it's share of road damage and it would be cheaper to repair if I happened to damage it. I doubt I will, but like I said just knowing I can makes me a little nervous.

Last edited: Nov 19, 2009
  12. Scottwax

[y]CwgDlY9QYJE[/y]

Burning paint is a lot harder than you think. When it comes to edges, I just throttle down and ease off the pressure a bit but I don't tape them off on factory paint unless it is obviously very thin. Keep the pad as flat as possible, and just like the PC, slow, even, 50% over-lapping passes. Let the machine do the work.

You will notice two things about the rotary right away vs a PC:

1. The rotary wants to pull you along especially over curved areas. You'll get used to it and learn to compensate pretty quickly.

2. The rotary overall feels very smooth, no tingly hands due to vibration.

13. 91RS

Alright, thanks Scott. I'll make a thread here when after the job is done!

14. 91RS

Well, the rotary will be waiting a little while. I tried to take my rear spoiler off to replace the adhesive that was letting loose on the sides and almost had the spoiler off and it broke in the middle. So that was $500. And I got a speeding ticket on the way to work yesterday (ironically not in the C55 though!). So, I'll be trying the KB method today. I washed and clayed the car yesterday, that took about 2 hours. The claying is a PITA (never done it before). I thought the car was pretty clean since I couldn't feel anything running my fingers across the paint, but it wasn't. So its ready to be polished later today when the sun puts my driveway in the shade.

I suppose I'll use the orange light cutting pad with the 105 and the white polishing pad with the 205. I have a purple heavy compounding pad I can use with the 105 if the orange pad doesn't get it. Other than that the only unused pad I have left a red finishing pad.

One more question, I think I'm spending too much time on the wax. When I'm doing the wax I just need to do enough to apply it right? I don't need to keep going over it until the wax breaks down, right? Should I do the entire car with the wax and then go back with the MF and buff it off or should I do each panel and buff it off?

Last edited: Nov 29, 2009
  15. 91RS

Oh yes, this is going to make me a happy boy. I'm not going to get a ton of work time since the sun is peeping out from behind the neighbors house already, but so far this stuff is amazing. It isn't getting rid of some of the deeper scratches, but so far the swirling is GONE! I'll definately be very happy with these results. My arms may fall off by then, but it'll be worth it!

16. Scottwax

Just spread a thin layer. What wax are you using? Some work fine if you apply and remove a panel at a time and others work best if you apply to the entire car, then go back and remove.

17. 91RS

I'm going to go with Vanilla Moose since that looks great on black. I may top that with Optiseal just for that added bit of protection/shine.

18. 91RS

Well, its finally finished! I've got about 8 hours total into it. I'm very happy with the results, especially considering I didn't think I would be able to do any correction with my PC! It isn't 100% corrected, but I didn't expect it to be. I'm thinking this car probably never saw a good hand wash. I wasn't able to take the car out and get some good pictures since it was getting dark when I finished, but when I do I'll post up a new thread. In the mean time, here are some close-ups of the paint. I tried to take an exact same after picture of the paint but I just couldn't figure out how I took the ones above. I can't wait to see this out in the direct sun light, it made me cringe before.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

19. Run N. Gun

Run N. Gun Active Member

That looks great. :bigthumb:

20. Scottwax

Looks much better in the after shots. :)

You use the KB method?

21. 91RS

Yes, the only thing I didn't do quite right was after the initial getting the pad primed, I think I used too much product. The pad started to get gummed up toward the end and kinda made removing a bit difficult. Kinda bummed it's supposed to rain today! Hopefully it'll be dry out Tuesday and I can drive it in the sun.

22. GammaRadiation

GammaRadiation Active Member

Nice car. Nice job on the paint, too!