I think I may have overtrained and burnt myself out

Discussion in 'Fitness & Nutrition' started by Accord, May 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm sure some of you guys will probably laugh and say things like "OMG you fitness newb low weight high reps is what you need to tone and fix your problem, I suggest benching the bar for 200 reps!!1!1one" or something, but this is serious.

I think I may have burned myself out, because i've been doing 5 sets of pullups 6 days a week Monday through Saturday for the past two months on the Recon Ron Pullup Program that my recruiter made me go on, it did honestly help get me from around 6 bodyweight pullups to 9, but now i've been stuck at 9 for a while and I think I may have burned myself out and/or overtrained myself but i'm not really sure.

When my recruiter first showed me the program and I saw it had you doing 5 sets of pullups every single day of the week except for Sunday, I was kind of shocked and thought it would definitely be overtraining, but my recruiter insisted that the program works and several other poolee's before me have had great success on the program, and who am I to question a Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeant who is an absolute physical stud? So I said okay and went on the program and this is the situation i'm in.

Two questions:

1) Am I overtraining?

2) If I am burned out/overtraining, what can I do to recover properly and get myself back to normal? Just take a week off?

2. kit99bar

kit99bar USPA Class 2, weak, old man!

Two months to go from 6 pullups to 9 pullups?

3. Accord

Accord New Member

:hsd:

4. y0gfx

y0gfx BURAAAJYANAII!!!

How much do you weigh/How tall are you? Have you been training anything else? Direct Lat Work, bicep work, forearm work? Squatting/benching/dling?

edit: Are you eating enough? Are you stressed...etc....

5. Accord

Accord New Member

I'm 5'10" 165 pounds (was 156, put on about 9 pounds of LBM so far). I'm training everything you mentioned once a week on top of my pullup program.

I'm definitely eating enough, i'm on a traditional bulking diet with tons of carbs and protein.

6. Ceaze

Ceaze https://hearthis.at/DoYouEvenUplift Moderator

well the more you weigh the harder they become

7. Elfling

Elfling New Member

FWIW, I usually can't work on pullups and deads at the same time- too much back fatigue. And if you've gained muscle mass, that's likely affecting it too.

8. Durk

Durk New Member

You're not using the adrenaline :uh:

9. Elfling

Elfling New Member

Oh and WRT overtraining:

Are you noticing any symptoms like decreased appetite, increased irritability, insomnia, general fatigue, achiness, decreased motivation to train? If not, it's likely not overtraining.

10. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Uhh, you shouldn't be working the same muscle two days in a row, let alone 6 days a week.

If you've only gone from 6 to 9 then you can see why.

I recently had surgery on my jaw and had it wired shut and etc for 2 months in which I lost 25 lbs... When I got all the shit out of my mouth I started working out a few days after being able to eat real food again...

When I started, I couldn't do a single wide grip pull up, and could do ~2 pull ups with my arms around shoulder width (this just means the workout focuses more on biceps than lats)....

Now I can do 20+ wide grips and do sets of 14 in my workouts... and it's been LESS thn 2 months since I started again. Much of it can be contributed to the fact that I was malnourished and chances are if I hadn't worked out, I still would have gained substantial muscle mass back to where I was originally, however before hte surgery when I started working out last year after ~1 year off, I made plenty of progress on pull ups...

That's just one reason why you shouldn't do the same thing every day. You won't gain strength nearly as well.

The better reason is that it is bad for your muscles. You need a minimum of 48 hours for them to heal last I checked.

I personally see better gains, even with calistenics and not using weights, when I have two days inbetween working out the same muscle.

In other words, I do a set of muscles on day one, a set of different muscles on day two, day three is rest, then I start over again at day one... I work everything 2 1/3 times a week, although lately I've switched to just twice a week, taking 3 days off a week for cardio or just pure rest from hard body stress.

You won't gain strength or size any faster just because you work the same muscle every day.

11. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

oh and marine corps trains soldiers every day like that because they have no concern for the long term health of the soldiers, their interest is making you big and tough, not necessarily of optimum strength.

If you want to make best gains with pullups do them 3 days a week max, no more, until you can do at least 30.... at that point they won't be that hard on your muscles and, if you really desire, you could do lower-rep sets daily with less trauma... I still don't see why you'd want to but :dunno: do what you want.

12. Fishbait

Fishbait New Member

have your Marine Corps Gunnery Sergeant stand behind you shouting obscenities in your general direction while you belt out a set of pullups.

amazing progress.. from 6 to at least 12 solid pullups!

:eek4:

13. Accord

Accord New Member

Well i'm eating about 3,500 calories a day and eat every 3 hours and get pretty hungry, so decreased appetite isn't an issue. I wouldn't say i've got increased irritability or achiness either, nor do I have a decreased motivation to train. Insomnia, not really, I go to sleep at like 3am but always get about 8 hours of sleep so that's not an issue.

14. Accord

Accord New Member

I don't care how I get to 20 pullups, I just want to be able to do 20 pullups as quickly as possible.

15. timberwolf

timberwolf New Member

That's what I did in april and for a total of 1000 for the month.

16. Ceaze

I'll point you to some information and you can decide to train how you want

CT's article on chinups:
    http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460273

using the Westside method for pullups and dips:
    http://www.powerdevelopmentinc.com/abstracts/pullup-dip-training.html

Martin Rooney on clapping chins

a post from another forum

17. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

then stop doing them every day. Every other day or twice a week will be optimal for gaining the strength to do more reps.

18. Accord

Accord New Member

Wow Ceaze, thanks a lot for those links and everything, it really helped me out, gave me a great idea of what I need to be doing, and I have a lot of new things to do. I'm going to buy the No. 1 and No. 2 Captain of Crush grippers by Ironmind immediately :eek4:.

19. Accord

Accord New Member

Just made a forearm roller :coold:

20. Limp_Brisket

Limp_Brisket New Member

when i started lifting i went from 1 pull-up to 15 in about 2 months, and i was a lifting noob. soooo, something is wrong with 6 to 9 i would say.

21. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

That's what I'm saying. You don't need to read 100 pages worth of Ceaze material to learn how to achieve stronger lats and do more pull ups.

Basic knowledge in working out is that, for most muscles, you don't work them two days in a row (48 hour rest period)... Apply that to pull ups, and you're set.

Also you won't need those grippers. Just squeeze the bar when you do pull ups and your grip strength will be increased. If you want to increase the other types of grip then go for it though. Unless you're a bodybuilder or powerlifter you won't really need it, and I'm sure they'll be doing plenty of shit in the marines to have you increasing strength in every part of your body.

22. Accord

Accord New Member

I think I was at a big disadvantage compared to most other people because I had to lose 80 pounds before I was able to do a pullup.

23. Accord

Accord New Member

I fully understand the basic principles of weight lifting and putting on mass and whatnot, but I was essentially forced into going on this pullup program. At first it really worked, I added 3 pullups in a matter of weeks but then I started to plateau and have been stuck at 9 for a while.

24. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

Hmm... well if you can unforce yourself out of the program then do that.

If not, then there are a few ways you could possibly get around it.

One way (keep in mind this is theoretical) is that on one day you can do them with a closer grip, and the next day with a wider grip... Day 1 will allow your back to rest a little and day 2 will allow your bi's/shoulders to rest a little.

But seriously, unless this guy is monitoring you while you do them, I don't see why you're forced into anything. If you plateaued a month ago and still haven't gotten out of it, you obviously need to switch up your routine. Rest will definitely do the trick, I'm tellin ya. Also, supplementing your protein is good too. As you know it's a key factor in muscle growth so that may lessen the damage and allow you to gain a little better.

25. Ceaze

Maximal strength is more important than strength-endurance

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.