I think I may be looking at the dark side.

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Ivy Mike, Nov 1, 2005.

1. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

:noes:

I've really been considering a new bike lately and with winter coming (prices drop in my area around now) I've had my eye on a few prospects.

I almost had myself set on something with more of a sport touring bent. I've always reasoned that I'd ride longer distances if I could (my magna is NOT a distance machine) but I'd like to maintain a could sporty form as well.

The SV1000S always seemed like a great prospect but then again, so did things like the ZZR-600. I've just had a hard time choosing more comfort or more sport.
    Well, I've finally said that hell with it and realized that I'm not a one bike kinda guy.

So, I've been looking at sporty commuters. Things like the SV650S and the New Ninja 650R. The Yamaha FZ6 seems like an awesome value too. Then, a funny thing happened. I couldn't help it, but my fingers typed in
    www.buell.com and hit enter.

Low and behold, there was a few nice little clips of Erik Buell talking about the features that they incorporate into every Buell. I grinned as I noticed things that other manufacturers are just starting to incorporate like the underbike muffler. I then noticed the rear shock on the Lightning. I noticed how it is mounted at an angle between the frame and swingarm...just like it is on the new Ninja 650R (or the Euro ER-6n) Interesting.

One thing lead to another and I looked at the specs on an XB9R. Well well well, its more than I wanted to spend, but thats an 06 price...I'm sure I can find a nice 04 or 05 for less. Retail is for suckers anyway.
    Then I noticed that it makes more power but still claims to manage around 50mpg in the city. 65 on the highway :eek5:
    I then felt that feeling...you know, the one where you start hearing "I want" in your head. I still don't know if I can bring myself to buy one (that motor and the belt drive) but the compact chassis, the lighter front brakes (they explain that the front brakes are nearly 7lbs lighter than traditional dual disc setups)
    and the focus on mass centralization (not to mention the thing just looks cool) are really appealing to a guy who tends to focus more on the technical end of things rather than the looks.

So, I think I may actually have to include an XB9R in my search along with the Ninja 650R, FZ6 and possibly the Z750. I might try a new SV650S, but I'm not too sure...the seat doesn't seem to agree with me although a call to Corbin would probably solve that.

Check out the short vid clips on the Buell website and see what you think. I'll be praying that one day they get smart and call Rotax for an engine, but in the mean time...I feel the Dark Side calling me and forever may it dominate my destiny.

2. Frequency

Frequency New Member

come to the darkside, i had a feelign jsut from reading the title your thread would be about this.

as for the motor, i have power in the straights and can own the twisties with very little shifting and a nice powerband. I'll admit a updated motor would be nice, would be damn nice but its not as if this one is horrid.

Belt drive, i have not had a single problem with it i believe all the issues have been worked out but i've read if some reason it does everybreak you can keep a spare behind the windscreen and change it with the tools you have underseat.

brakes are insane, only problem i've had is me getting anxious and i locked the front at low speed 2x. and they are very sweet to look at

As for the mileage i get an avg of 50-55 per tank.

Only problem i've had/have is bad valves from 05, i'm burning oil as if it were gas, that will be fixed next weekend under warranty so no biggie.

anything else you wanna know let me know. I think im the only OT bike crew with a buell and you could check out www.BadWeatherRiders.com.

Funny thing is in my development the people i ride with once in awhile 3 of them have buells but i never noticed them until i got mine and my neighbor with the busa likes to switch bikes alot. Also if you have a g/f who's dad is into bikes hide the keys when he is around g/f's dad love to ride it everytime he gets a chance

Last edited: Nov 1, 2005
  3. Frequency

Frequency New Member

hehe looks like everyone else has abandonned you, don't worry i'll still be your friend

4. machine81

machine81 New Member

I love you too :gfight:

I'm a huge fan of the SV650. I'm planning on picking one up within the next three months. However, I'm also very curious about the Kawi 650R. The Seattle Motorcycle Show is the first week of December. I'm going to check that bad boy out there and see how it feels. If it feels good I might wait a couple months on my purchase and ride one before I settle on the Suzuki.

Concerning Buell: I'm a huge fan of theirs. They have some great technology and for some odd reason I like air-cooled engines. I like when a company still has at least one a-c engine in their bag of tricks. It makes me feel like they are serious about engineering when they still try to squeeze power out of it rather than just abandon ship and go for liquid-cooling. However, like all American bikes, they are just too expensive. I can't rationalize spending an extra $2500 when there are products out there that are equally as good. I've never ridden a Buell and that may be my problem. But especially since I've only had one bike thus far, I don't want to go out on a limb with a company that isn't as stable as the Japanese, German, or Italian manufacturers. I think after I've riden the SV650 for a few years and am looking to upgrade I'll definitely take a look at Buell, but until then I'm keeping my $$.

5. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

Air cooled motors kinda worry me.
    It gets VERY hot in Vegas in the summer...we're talking north of 110° in the summer. Heat really saps power out of hard working bike motors.

The seat on the SV just doesn't feel good.
    I like the Z750...more in fact, than the Z1000. Put a half-fairing on the Z1000 and it would probably be a done deal.
    The Ninja 650R looks really cool and I like the fully faired bikes.
    The FZ6 seems like a great value and offers the most comfy package although it is a bit more expensive than the twins from Suzuki and Kawasaki.

The 599 is out due to cost and carburetion. Too much for too little bike.

6. machine81

machine81 New Member

I sat on an FZ6 and FZ1 last year. They seemed cramped to me. My knees were pretty jammed into the tank contours. btw I'm 6' even.

7. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

I tend to hug the tank anyway.
    Kind of a holdover from my dirtbike days.

I thought the FZ6 was really comfy. I'm a long legged 5'11"
    The only one that seemed uncomfortable (and not very at that) was the SV650. The shape of the seat didn't agree with me. Felt like I was sliding off the sides. A new seat isn't that expensive relatively speaking.

8. noxxs

noxxs New Member

If you're thinking sport touring, which i may be wrong, i only skimmed the thread, you should try a yammy FJR 1300. they have the engine to put you were you want to be and they're pretty comfortable for those long trips...or maybe even a bmw??? but those are your more than two cylinder options

9. Imagine

Imagine New Member

Clean, I highly recommend finding a Buell to test ride.. They are a love it or hate it bike. The guy that just bought my Z1000 said he really wanted one, but then had a chance to ride one. He said he was extremely disappointed in it and was glad he could take a test ride before he forked out the money.

My vote still goes for the DL650 as the uber commuter. Right now its my only bike, but I may break down after I get some bills paid off and buy another sportbike (for a second bike) next year some time.

10. Ivy Mike

Ivy Mike New Member

I'll look for more of a dedicated sport-tourer later.

I wanted a bike that could do it all, tour, commute, play...but I keep coming to the conclusion that I'd be happier with multiple bikes.

I've decided to go with a sporty-commuter and later on, a more dedicated touring machine. I actually saw a website (hadn't been updated in a few years) that gave a nice write-up about the old Kawasaki KZ1000 police bikes and what great tourers they make.
    Some guy had actually bought one at auction and built it as a tourer. He had been all over the place on that beast. Its not the best handler or most modern, but its reliable as a rock, cheap to repair and competent enough to handle most roads at a decent clip.

I betcha I could find an old KZ1000P for a song and work that puppy over.

11. Peter Gibbons

Peter Gibbons OT Supporter

SV + corbin + double bubble FTW (+risers if you are so inclined)