SRS I think I have anxiety?

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by NoXeN, Mar 3, 2005.

1. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

Ok I guess some background info about me

20, Full time student, Work about 20-30 hours/week, Commute to school

Dont have many friends but it doesnt really bother me I guess.

Anyways I think I'm usually "ok" during most social situations but if I'm the center of attention or put on spot, I get extremely nervous. It was most obvious today, and it's ruined my day so far.

I had to make a Power Point presentation for my MIS class. I was the 5th person to go, I was confident in my presentation, but as soon as i got up there I could feel my heart RACING and my breathing was shallow you could say? I stumbled over all my words, I must've looked like an idiot. I had NOTHING to be worried about either but it seems this anxiety just ruined my whole presentation. I just needed to vent, I don't know what to do :(

2. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

Good description of performance anxiety. I got that, or had it...

Anxieties are often linked. Think you could have social anxiety?

3. NoXeN

NoXeN You can find me up on one

I'm confident in small groups but when theres more people I tend to clam up..or if im doing a presentation with other people I'm fine

I'm not sure what social anxiety consists of?

Anything I can do to overcome it?

I thought of taking a public speaking class but I still think I'll freak out :sad2:

4. knarxed

knarxed New Member

Relaxation techniques and repitition in speaking upon groups will help. It will take time but it will be worth it.

One relaxation method consists of listening to a relaxation tape 2-3 times a day. Relaxes your body and thoughts. Do it 4 weeks and you can tell at yourself at will to relax as if you were still listening to it.

5. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

social anxiety - http://socialanxiety.factsforhealth.org/

overcoming performance anxiety - try these

Tense your muscles as tight as you can gradually for 5 seconds until they are max. Hold it there for 5 long seconds, and release gradually over 5 seconds. This is sure to relax your body.

Deep breathing technique - Belly Breathing - North Americans dont breathe right, only use top part of our lungs. Inhale slowly for 5 seconds, intake should be smooth and equal. Then exhale slowly for 5 seconds " ". Keep on doing this, it gets lots of oxygen to your brain and really mellows your out.

Imaging - picture beautiful scenes in your mind and concentrate on them, while doing deep breathing. should relax you.

Get vitamin b6 stress tabs... aka vitamins

Fish liver oil, omega 3 acids allow better neural communication

Drink enough water

6. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

I just tried this and got a cramp.:mamoru:

7. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

i do it every day and have never gotten a cramp. the purpose of doing it is to get rid of excess acids that help muscles tense up.

8. Tall Andrew

Tall Andrew Guest

I'm a full time student as well (well i've always heard 4 classes a semester is full time for college) and also work 20-30 hours... It's really hard, especially with a gf... and i don't have many friends either. aside from my gf i've got like 2 or 3 friends who i actually hang out with, and even then it's only once every couple weeks because im so busy.

9. Tall Andrew

Tall Andrew Guest

also, right now i'm taking a volunteer class (i originally got into it as an alternative to this big group project for my poly sci class) where every tuesday night for 2 hours i go to a citizenship class in chinatown for the elderly. It's so great, i was so nervous the first day, and 2 nights ago was my second time, and i was much more friendly and not nervous at all.

I'll admit, i do have social anxiety. If i'm on the bus (public transportation is a lot easier in the city because theres nowhere to park usually) and it's packed full of people, i'll just feel so nervous like people are watching every move i make. When i walk down the street i'm always looking people in the eyes because i'm afraid if they look me down and i don't look back then i'll look like a pussy. One on one confrontation never bothers me much, but i just get nervous really easily just from walking around other people. I've never really adressed it until this post because i always figured that was normal, but now that i think about it, it really isn't. I had a presentation today in one of my classes and i choked up a little bit, but i was able to get my point across (was a really short presentation)

10. Sotangledup

Sotangledup Guest

IT sounds like anxiety. I go through the same things. I can't make any eye contact during school presentations.

11. DesignerAddic71

DesignerAddic71 RIP Luther Vandross 1951-2005

yeah i just bombed my public speaking presentation yesterday because of my anxiety. i worked so hard and had such kick ass visuals and i got up there and couldnt remember a thing. i kept fidgeting and talking a mile a minute and rambling all at the same time. i too am a full time student (5 classes) and i work 25 hours a week for a trial consulting firm. but i wasnt always like this...i've spoken at press conferences and statewide conventions and in front of other large audiences with no problem. but recently it hasnt been the same, my therapist has linked it to my depression, but i dont know how accurate that is....

12. Spiritus

Spiritus Active Member

dudes you have some good reading to do on performance anxiety.

if you dont read about it, you will never know how to cope, and hence you will live on with it.

13. _Kanwisher!

_Kanwisher! Guest

what he is talking about is slowly starting to ruin my life, I have many friends, I'm a good looking guys, junior year in highschool what he's talking about happened while just reading aloud of a book in history class. I never felt this before, sure I got nervous for speeches, but it NEVER prevented me from thinking twice about doing them.

I'm in college now, and I was on Celexa for depression (but it was prescribed for what i mentioned above by my doctor) I still felt nervous after a few months, but after a while of slowly doing more and more social outburts, volunteering to read, giving presentations, I started to feel like I used to. Then I had some weird side effects, it made my life feel like it was going by really fast, Icouldn't remember any day before the one I was in, it was almost like a happiness that I didn't like. I felt like I was out of it and not in control of my decisions sometimes, almost like there was a very vague blockage that just made me not myself.

I was on an extremely low dosage btw.

I stopped taking it, started working out, and I was completely off my medication by the start of college. I was nervous, but got in front of the class, introduced myself. Then read several times in class in front of people I didn't even know. I felt great.

Then one day, I was asked to read, and my old symptoms all came back, could it have been that my medicine hadn't completely worn off yet? I had stopped taking it only a month before the class started. Now i have no medical insurance, I have a presentation coming up in a week or so, and I don't know what to do, I literally feel like i CANNOT do it. I have an A in this class, and not doing the oral presentation would really hurt my perfect grade.

I hate it, i really do.

14. civicmon

civicmon got all my game from the streets of california.

That 'weird happiness' is best described as Mania.. you really should talk to a doc about that.

It also happened to me on celexa.. trust me on this.

15. *Ambiorix*

*Ambiorix* New Member

Last week I did an presentation in my marketing class. When I first started I was a wreck. I was fine until my turn came up. I kept staring at my paper and mumbling, my eyes would dart around, I felt like my hands were shaking, and my voice was trembling. I HATED being up there.

At that point I got so angry at myself that I sort of just slapped mysefl mentally. I just stopped and looked at the floor and imagined out the window that a giant mushroom nuclear bomb had gone off, we were all about to die. So who cares, I had a good life, had good times, had some laughs, cries, etc.

Because the mushroom cloud was about to hit us and destroy us all I relaxed, it didnt matter if my presentation sucked, good bye humanity. I dropped my paper on the table and didnt look back it, I looked everyone in the eyes happily and my shoulders eased up. I even bagan to walk a little and sometimes wave my hand and my voice was strong. I made a joke and the class laughed, my teamates nodded in approval. SUddenly befor eI knew it my time was up. I took my seat and watched the other people go. The hot girl next to me said "you did good, looked confident."

I think by just realizing that that small time frame in class was so insignificant to life I just chilled out and it helped me overcome my anxiety.

I beleive we get anxious becuase all eyes are on us and we all judge each other. But does that really matter if you are all about to be disintigrated?

:dunno: it helped me nicely.

16. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

They help. Tkae one at a community college if you really are worried about it. Everyone there is going to be worried about how they look, and won't even notice how stupid you might look ;)

17. scaryice

scaryice New Member

If it makes you feel any better (and it should), nobody in your class cares about your presentation, other than the professor. I know I just sat there and tried not to pay attention to everyone else.

18. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

Have you done a lot of presentations for classes? If not, perhaps it's just a matter of getting used to standing up in front of a group of people :hs: I like to be the life of the party around people I know, but ask me to stand up and make a presentation to a room full of strangers and I would like to disappear!

My first "public speaking" engagement was doing a eulogy at my father's funeral. My sister, who tried to take charge of things during the arrangements, laid this on me 2 days before the service was to take place. She, my brother and me were all supposed to talk about different things in his life. I was scared shitless, not only did I have to speak in front of friends/family/his coworkers/and Lord knows who else, but I would have to do this after I had been crying my eyes out and still dealing with the numbing shock of his death. There were probably 150 or so people there. I had always heard if you look just over the tops of people's heads and at the back corner of the room, it will still look like you are addressing the crowd but without having to make direct eye contact. It worked. And of the 3 of us, I was the only one who made it all the way through my part of the eulogy.

8 years later I took a graphic design class. The teacher, rather than give us assignments and just hand them in, treated the class like an art studio. She was the director and we were the team of artists. Each assigment we did had to be critiqued in front of the class. Once again I got the jitters because 1. I had to present something publicly, and 2. I also had to tell other classmates what they could do to improve their art to them and in front of everyone else. I was afraid of offending people. We had 15 assignments that semester/15 critques. With each one things got better. If anything it was definitely a valuable lesson in 1. facing a crowd (although 25 people might not be considered a crowd :mamoru: 2. accepting criticism and 3. how to criticize with tact. No it wasn't a "your art sucks" type of critiquing, but rather telling others what and how things could be improved and what reasons those improvements could be made.

3 days after the semester ended my mom got remarried and I had to speak once again at her wedding. This time before a crowd of 300+ people :eek3: But this time I sailed through smoothly, even got the crowd to chuckle a few times :big grin:

Unless you are a motivational speaker, or have some kind of job where you have to constantly give presentations, I don't think it's easy for many people to have to stand in front of others and present.

As mentioned the only person who cares will be the professor. Perhaps pretend you are having a one-sided (monologue) conversation with him and perhaps that will make things a bit easier.