SRS I think I have a problem with blushing

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by familyguy101, Jun 18, 2006.

1. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

Ever since 8th grade, if any major attention was brought to me, I would blush for unknown reasons. To this day, I have the same problem. If i'm confronted by an attractive girl, or if 2 or more people just give me attention, I suddenly feel overwhelmed and embarrased and severly blush. The blushing can last up to 2 minutes and it makes me stick out like a sore thumb. I've kept this condition to myself for that past 5 years, but it's really starting to fuck up my life. I can't get promoted at work, because the promotion would require speaking in front of groups. I can't date, because i'm way too paranoid to approach a girl because I know i'll suddenly blush.

The problem with the blushing is that when I do blush, or when I feel blushing coming on, my mind seems to disappear and I can't even make a simple sentence. I guess you could call it panic attacks. Another problem is the whole insecurity issue. When people see this, they can conclude that I must have no confidence or that I'm insecure. This conclusion probably makes them lose respect for me.

Now, I'm no rugmat. I do stand up for myself when I have to. I've got an athletic body and i'm good looking (what girls tell me). I'm just deathly afraid of public speaking. I don't get it. If I have confidence, why the hell can't I do that sort of thing. This condition has killed my dating life. Sometimes, I love being the center of attention when I'm in my comfort zone, but when I'm not, I absolutely dread it.

Does anyone know what I can do to stop myself from blushing? Are there any drugs I can take to calm my veins so they don't fill with blood? Are there any sort of meditation things I can do to learn to control it? I post in the asylum frequently, and I believe that this condition is the root of all my problems.

2. SpicyMcVoodoo

SpicyMcVoodoo New Member

there's a simple outpatient surgery that can be done that cuts off some nerve which stops blushing.

3. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

At least you don't have a problem with sweating....like me. Damn it sucks...when I get neverous I sweat. I'm not talking a little bead...I'm talking full on water works.

Then I hear that commercial going over in my head, "Never let them see you sweat" and it just gets worse and worse till I look like I've been running a marathon or having a heart attack. It's soo embarrasing.

I feel your pain even if it's not the same kind of pain. I usually just try to lighten up by telling a joke or focusing intently on what the other person is saying. Every time my mind wanders, I listen intently to each word out of their mouths....sometimes that works but when I'm doin the talkings....ugh.

4. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

Fear is a state of hell, what you must do is not being afraid that you will blush, even if you blush push thru to achieve what you want to achieve.

5. scaryice

scaryice New Member

I'm sure that there are plenty of girls out there who would find your blushing cute.

6. Doog

Doog New Member

perhaps you have social anxiety or perhaps a mild case of anxiety in general.

7. Arclight

Arclight Hypercube

8. sprayn99

sprayn99 New Member

you might have hyperhydrosis. it causes excessive blushing, sweating of palms, feet, arm pits and a few other places. there is a surgery for it but it isn't covered by most insurance companys. if you search the web you'll fine more info.

9. bitetobreakskinn

bitetobreakskinn Blinky the Christmas Ghost

It just sounds like you're getting overanxious when put into certain situations, so you get flustered. Try to keep telling yourself that you're stronger then the situation you're in, and it might help keep your blushing "down" a little bit.

Also, you could always try some sort of anti-anxiety medication, and see if it keeps you more relaxed in high pressure situations. I've debated going on them myself tons of times, but I don't show it in my face when I get the anxiety stuff.

10. familyguy101

familyguy101 New Member

are there any permanent olutions? Anti anxiety drugs are always an option, but I don't want to get hooked. The main problem regarding drugs is that I just don't believe in that sort of crap. I would feel way better knowing that I accomplished something by myself instead of with the aid of drugs. So again, are there permanent solutions?

11. discostu131

discostu131 Disco Stu doesn't advertise. OT Supporter

I had the same problem all through school. I would pretend I was sick to get out of public speaking because i would blush, and then i would be even more embarassed. Id never dated anyone really untill near the end of highschool. It was still happening, but think about what matters more. Your face being red or what your trying to acheive. Its all mind over matter. It stopped happening for a while (3 years or so), but a few months ago started happening again. It only took a few weeks before i realized that know one cares. There are some guys who have a red face 80 percent of the time. Whats the worst that can happen? NOTHING. no one cares. The worst that will happen is they will think, who's that guy? oh the one with the red cheeks? Sounds bad, but does it stop them from liking you or talking to you? nope. Learn to laugh at yourself, dont take it so seriously. Overthinking gets us into a world of trouble. Not saying im completely in control but id like to think im getting better. . . .

12. Gregsaidthat

Gregsaidthat "Individuality is the new conformity"

Alright.........I have a buddy who has the same problem. All he does it just makes the best about it kinda cracks jokes to ease the mood and just let everyone know that he knows it is happening and it doesn't bother him.

13. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

I sweat, too. In fact, in 30 minutes I'm teaching a class and I have to stuff my armpits with paper towels first.