I think I have a fundamental misunderstanding of windows 2000 server

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by crotchfruit, Feb 23, 2004.

1. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

We have a 25-client version of Windows 2000 server. I created a shared directory, but for some reason we can only have 10 simultaneous connections to that share. If more people try to connect, they are refused. How can I increase the number of max simultaneous sessions allowed?

2. 5Gen_Prelude

5Gen_Prelude There might not be an "I" in the word "Team", but

Buy more licenses? When you set it up you have two options - concurrent or seat licenses - which did you choose?

3. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

I chose concurrent (not per seat). The thing is that we only have like 15 computers in the office.. and when I check the "sessions" under computer management, it always shows under ten sessions open.. so I don't think we're ever hitting over 25 sessions at once.

Do I have insert a license disk or something to enable the 25 clients?

4. 5Gen_Prelude

That would be my guess - I use seat myself to avoid this situation. If you go into admin tools->Licensing, what's there?

5. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

On the main screen, under the Purchase History tab there is nothing listed. Under the Product Summary tab, it shows Windows Server. Windows Server has 0/0 for the "by seat". It shows 25 for "per-server purchased" and 11 for "per-server reached".

When I go to the server browser and look at the server, it says that it has 25 licenses purchased.

Would adding new licenses help this problem? It seems like I can just add new licenses without any sort of verification.

Since it doesn't seem to have hit the per seat limit, do you think it's just a " too many files open simultaneously" problem? (if that can happen..)

The scenario is this (just for more info): we have a file-based pervasive SQL database that needs to be opened by a bunch of people simultanously. Whenever too many people have it open (which doesn't seem like a lot.. maybe 5-6 at a time) new clients start to get weird error messages which seem to stem from not being able to open a file.

We had the exact same setup going on our old NT4 server w/o any access problems ever.. but those were running on old crappy slow computers and the speed was getting to be a issue.

6. 5Gen_Prelude

Wait a minute then - Pervasive is also licensed based - you know that right? My licenses came on a floppy that you had to add. When I've reinstalled the server I always forget to add the licenses back in and have the same problem with AccPAC (Perv-SQL)

Last edited: Feb 24, 2004
  7. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

Ya, we have a 10 user license. It prompts you upon installation of PSQL to put that disk in.. I used the same one we use for the NT4 setup.

It's entirely possible that I screwed something up there. Is there somewhere in the pervasive control center that I can check the # of licenses?

Do you think there's a difference in the way that 2000 server works, as opposed to NT4 server, that would cause the 10-user license to assign more than one "seat" to a client? i.e. if say 5 people connect to that share, it's eating up the 10 seat max instead of just 5?

8. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

MUAHAHAHAHAHA I HATE PSQL!!!!!!!!!1111111ONEONElc

But I figured it out..

In the PSQL control center, under the server options, there's an entry "Max Connections" or something. The default was set to 15. This whole time I was killing myself over win2k server but it was just that stupid option. I set it to 1000 :eek3:

Thanks for the help though, your ideas led me to the control center where I should have looked in the first place :o

9. 5Gen_Prelude

Ya I hate PSQL too. Our installation requires 3 different patches to be installed, and don't even get me started on AccPAC - what a piece of shit that thing is. When we moved from an NT machine, we had to upgrade to Perv 2000, and well - that wasn't pleasant either since database errors could be a problem with either piece of shit software.

BTW, I'm not aware of W2K caring about the licenses aside from the nag screen and of course the event log errors.

10. 5Gen_Prelude

Was it Number of Sessions?

11. crotchfruit

crotchfruit Guest

Ya, I think it might have been "Max Sessions". It was "Max" something :p In the server option tree, under "Access" (I think.. it's across the building and I've already walked back and forth 30 times today :o)

12. Slid.

Slid. I'm a guy.

Looks like you fixed it but I figured I'd toss this out. Maybe things weren't setup right and it saw the network as p2p.

PEER-TO-PEER is limited to 10 connections.

13. Jason

Jason Guest

That is what I was thinking as well.