I think I got a virus

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by guchiew, Feb 6, 2006.

1. guchiew

guchiew Increase your killing power.

I was installing some new software (see this link http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=2331818) and something called a Zegarag (I think) taskbar was installed so I uninstalled it. When I restarted the computer, all that shows up is my wallpaper and no programs are running. I'm posting this from my laptop.

What should I do now?

2. Sickening

Sickening Guest

Try rebooting in safe mode and running a virus scan for starters

3. Sickening

Sickening Guest

Oh! and go to run and type msconfig and then to startup and tell us what processes have a check mark before them

4. skelm

skelm New Member

Sounds to me like explorer isn't starting properly. Press ctrl+alt+delete go to task manager, click on the applications tab, click New Task and type explorer.exe and hit enter.

5. guchiew

I remember a window that says something about userexplorer or something not being found. I'll tell you guys in a couple hours when I get home. Thanks.

6. skelm

skelm New Member

No worries mate :)

7. guchiew

Ok, the window says "Explorer.EXE - Unable To Locate Component" at the top of the alert window and "This application has failed to start because BROWSEUI.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." in the window. I'm going to try to a virus scan.

8. guchiew

Tried this and it says the same thing "Explorer.EXE - Unable To Locate Component" at the top of the alert window and "This application has failed to start because BROWSEUI.dll was not found. Re-installing the application may fix this problem." in the window.

9. guchiew

Process SYSTEM.INI File checked
    Process WIN.INI File checked
    Load System Services Checked
    Load Startup Items Checked

10. Sickening

Sickening Guest

[​IMG]

11. Grelmar

Grelmar New Member

At a guess, I'd say whatever software you uninstalled took a few key drivers with it.

If you have access to a spare machine with a burner, ==>>go here<<== and get sav32, burn it, and then do a command line scan of your system to see if there are any bugs lying around, and clean accordingly.

Then take your Winblows CD and boot with that to see if you can repair your OS without having to re-install.

12. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Fucking spyware. Toolbars are the worst spyware ever. "Just download this nifty tool and enjoy its benefits! Oh, and if you don't want it anymore, we'll just break shit on the way out the door."

The only one I use is Google, because of the popup blocker and because Google has a reputation to maintain. Never, ever install optional extras made by third-party companies, unless you've heard of them before and you know they're safe. Even then, you probably still don't want them. What exactly is the reason the main software provider isn't just including the "extra" software in the main package, anyway? Ya gotta wonder.

13. guchiew

I tried this and I don't know if I'm doing it right because it just says that it is an invalid directory. I don't know if I burned the software correctly or I'm just not using the command prompt correctly.

I appreciate all the help guys.

14. skelm

skelm New Member

Ok mate, Just pop in your Windows XP cd again and see if you can repair the installation.

15. guchiew

My buddy helped me out. He took the missing file from my laptop and installed it on my desktop. Then he was able to salvage my music and picture files. He's going to come over tomorrow and format everything else. Update tomorrow. Thanks guys.

16. skelm

skelm New Member

Good to hear mate :)