I think i blew a fuse in my amp..

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by wongerbonger, Jun 13, 2004.

1. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

my amp is not running power to my subs right now, and on the remote the red light under "Protect" is on..

my friend said that I blew a fuse in my amp, but how do i fix it?

2. BlkX

BlkX New Member

Pull the fuse out of the amp, if its blown, then replace it. You can tell if its blown or not by looking towards the top of the fuse, if that little metal piece is separated its toasted.

If you're amp does not have external fuses then you've got a problem....you may have fried something on the amp itself.

3. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

yeah, forget about this problem..

smoke statrted coming out of the amp.. so i just need to get an ew one

4. 04

04 Guest

smoke just started coming out of the amp, or it has been coming out of the amp the whole time? :hsugh:

5. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

smoke just started coming out of the amp.. I think it was something internal and when i took it into the shop where i got it installed he made it worse..

because when i drove home and checked under the hood.. the fuse that connected the battery to the amp was busted.. so i replaced it and i smelt burning plastic or something and i looked back and the amp was smoking

luckily my amp is still under warranty by hifonics... but the dude said that I need a different brand of amp because mine isn't powerful enough for my subs.

is this true :dunno:

6. 04

04 Guest

I hope you didnt pay the guy at this "shop". You really should send it back to Hifonics if it is under warranty and have them fix it.

And no, there is no such thing as an amplifier that isnt powerfull enough that it would break, unless he meant that you were driving too low of an impedence load. If that is the case, that very well could be true, and could also explain why your amplifier is broken in the first place.

7. On_One

On_One Guest

you bought it from sounddomain right? It's hasn't been 30 days has it? Pretty sure you can get a direct replacement within 30 days as opposed to having to send it back for repair work..

8. On_One

On_One Guest

You bought the TI15D's right? If so the BX1500d is throwing 1500+ watts rms to the pair. Unless you have them in an insanely small enclosure it's more than enough power.

Can you get pics of the amp as it is currently installed, includin it's grounding point and the underhood wiring.

If it went into protect the thing should not be smoking.

9. On_One

On_One Guest

Now i feel bad as i reccommended that amp. :hs:

I've had mine installed for a month now with no problems though. :dunno: Really i haven't heard of many problems withe Brutus series. Could very well be an install related issue.

10. pharcyde183

pharcyde183 Nissan by nature

Prob install related issue. Obviously hifonics amps aren't the best but for the money they always seem to get the job done.

There's no way to run too low an impendence since those subs are DVC 4 i don't see what could have gone wrong unless the install was wrong or the amp was just bad

11. Bavarian3

Bavarian3 OT Supporter

i wouldve suggested it too. There are TONS of people running these hifonics mono amps with no problems. Definetly get a replacement as u did nothing wrong. or it doesnt sound like it...

12. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

yeah, if i get a replacement and then it shorts again.. it must be a install problem..

but don't feel bad On_One, when it was working i loved it!

i will have to get pics of the install wires for you eventually..

13. On_One

On_One Guest

I never even noticed you were from norcal. Where abouts do you live?

14. wongerbonger

wongerbonger New Member

he lives in the same area as me