SRS I think I am going to quit drinking.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Changed, Jul 12, 2007.

1. Changed

Changed Guest

I turned 21 in May, and have been drinking socially since I was about 15. Since I couldn't buy it before I was 21, I never had a problem. However, since May I have spent about 75% of my summer job income on alcohol and alcohol related activities. Since I turned 21 I have been much more social, probably as a result of the social lubricant known as beer. However, it has come at the cost of money and health. I run a mile a day approximately 3 to 4 times a week, but my weight has stabilized at 175 pounds because of all the shit I'm consuming.

I guess I had this notion that being an alcoholic meant you sat at home and drank 3 or 4 40's a night and passed out watching television. I rarely get drunk by myself, but going out to parties/clubs/bars is bad enough.

This post is more of a self realization than anything. If the only thing bonding me with people is alcohol, how much substance can our relationship really have?! Plus, my family has a few alcoholics already.

There is a huge grad party tomorrow night, and I've decided that tomorrow will be a test. I'm going to go, not drink a single drop of alcohol, and just observe people. It should be a sobering experience. :hsugh:

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Yeah see the thing is being an alcoholic is not so much about when/how you drink.....it's all about how alcohol affects us. Being an alcoholic it affects me differently than non-alcoholics but sometimes this is really difficult to understand.

You may not be an alcoholic. If you find that you are having difficulty staying away from alcohol or that you're constantly obsessing about it when you're "on the wagon" it might be an indication of addiction.

I know plenty of people that struggle with the question of whether or not they're an alcoholic and many are not. Yes they've been heavy/binge drinkers and yes they've gone through times where they drank a lot. But for many people these are just phases and they go on to live happy/productive lives.

For me...this was never a phase as I really didn't see any value in "social drinking....I really just never understood why people would say things like, "I'm going to stop drinking because I'm starting to feel it." HUH??? Isn't that the whole point of drinking??? To feel it??? Why would you stop once you started to feel it??? If 2 drinks is good, imagine how 10 drinks will feel. There were many more thoughts but that's some of them.

Here's a link to some questions that may help you decided whether or not you're an alcoholic.
    http://www.alcoholics-anonymous.org/en_is_aa_for_you.cfm?PageID=71

And keep in mind....you are always welcome at an AA meeting/group. The only requirement for membership in AA is a desire to stop drinking....you don't have to admit you're an alcoholic or even make any sort of pledge to not drink for a period of time. You can simply say, "I'm X and I have a desire to not take a drink" and that's good enough for open and closed meetings.

Anyways, good luck with your plan. If you have any questions be sure to post em.

3. Changed

Changed Guest

I'm not sure whether I'm an alcoholic either. I don't sit around thinking about getting drunk, or feel shitty when I haven't had a drink. But, I do want to stop spending so much fucking money on a pointless/fruitless/self-destroying endeavor.

4. Coottie

Cool...good luck and I seriously hope you can.

Perhaps those questions I linked in my previous post can help you make up your own mind about whether or not you are an alcoholic. There are many people who aren't, in fact, I think there are probably more non-alcoholics than there are alcoholics so the odds are in your favor.

Anyways, good luck and God Bless.

5. Changed

Changed Guest

that link you posted didn't work

edit: never mind, I guess there were a lot of possible alcoholics clicking that link when I was

6. Changed

Changed Guest

not really.

Since this morning I've decided that drinking in moderation (and attempting to not pay for it :mamoru:) will be sufficient enough of a change.

7. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

if you are an alcoholic, this will fail;

if you are not, the good luck

8. Changed

Changed Guest

yeah I know...

9. ///M Pilot

///M Pilot New Member

I don't think you're an alcoholic.

You just drink a lot. It's typical of people your age.

The real test is... do you crave alcohol? When you're not drinking, do you desire to be drinking? Does that desire consume you? Can you remain sober for extended periods of time and (apart from the initial weirdness due to habit) not need a drink?

10. ///M Pilot

///M Pilot New Member

Oh, and kudos for realizing the negative health effects associated with alcohol.

Beer FTL for that reason alone. (It's too bad it tastes so damn good!)

I reduced my alcohol consumption 3 weeks ago and already I'm down 10lbs.

11. Changed

Changed Guest

yes, I've come to realize that I'm not an alcohol and I was just freaking out because of the financial strain it has put on me. I don't crave alcohol when I don't have it, I just drink a lot at parties. probably closer to binge drinking than alcoholism. I'm still going to cut back (only drink in moderation at parties, not at home anymore).

going out tonight, in moderation :wavey:

12. SpazHairlip

SpazHairlip New Member

Well the notion of being an alcoholic means a lot of things to different people. I go through 1-3 half pints of vodka and a few beers a day. The thing is, I drink at work everyday and need to drink daily. I don't get jitters, I function just fine, and people can't tell I've been drinking. But I know I have an addiction issue because even though I've been here in a training meeting all day, at 2pm when I get out, I'm going to go out to my car and chug a half pint. Then i'm going to clear my breath, and come back upstairs back to the grind.

How you handle your issue depends on you. I'm a vey highly functional alcoholic up until I've had more then 2 pints of vodka, other then that, you just can't tell I've been drinking.

I try to stop, and some days I do better then others, but I always end up drinking when I say I won't.

13. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

how sad
    there is a better way

14. Coottie

:werd:

There is a better way to live. SpazHairlip perhaps you should check out AA.

15. Expat Onlooker

Expat Onlooker New Member

I'm pretty sure I am an alcoholic, but don't drink everyday. I now limit my alcohol consumption to the weekends, but when I drink, I drink a lot. I'm curious to know what alcohol does to the neurological system. I feel that it (drinking) is affecting my nervous system even though the symptoms are hard to explain. I just don't feel in control of myself physically as much as before. Anyway, it is hard to explain. Any advice?

16. Expat Onlooker

How old are you? And also: Is it possible to get "the jitters" (as a result of being an alcoholic) even when you aren't drinking? I find that at this point (I'm 39) I often get "the jitters" when I'm around a crowd of people even though I haven't been drinking. Have you ever experienced this?

17. Coottie

You don't have to drink everyday to be an alcoholic.

I'm not exactly sure what alcohol does to the neurological system. I'm not a doctor and while this information may be interesting, for me this knowledge won't help me live my life without drinking.

I used to have a book on the effects of alcohol on the body but that's been many years ago and I dunno what happened to it. Perhaps googling will help.

Anyways if you are having trouble staying away from drinking or if you are depressed when not drinking, perhaps AA can help.

18. Expat Onlooker

Can you tell me about your drinking problem? How has it affected your personal life? I assume that is you in the pic, and you look healthy to me. How do you deal with your alcoholoism? Do you deal with it day to day? Here where I live (Thailand) there is no AA, and getting out and meeting people here means that you are putting yourself at risk of being pressured to drink. Thais are the 6th largest consumers of alcohol worldwide, and alcohol is a big problem for this country.

19. Coottie

no that's not me in the pic...I'm actually a dude but that chick was hot and a Sooner so she's my AV now. I had a pic of Adrian Peterson but since he's in the pros now....had to find another AV. I don't actually even know the woman in the pic.

For much of my life, my drinking was sporadic a/k/a binge drinking and I didn't always drink to get drunk. I usually did get drunk but there were plenty of times where I didn't and it wasn't an issue....in other words, I wasn't pissed cuz I wasn't drunk. As my disease progressed, I became less and less OK with being sober.

There were many times I drank cuz I was just bored but that's not all. I drank when I has happy and sad. I drank to celebrate and I drank to mourn. I drank to feel OK and I drank for confidence. Mainly tho, I drank to escape but even this escape is complex. I wanted to escape pain but at other times I wanted to escape the boring, ordinariness of life. At other times I wanted to escape as an adventure.

It has quite literally affected every aspect of my life. However, I was seriously unable to see that until I got into AA and dried up. I mean that's one of the goofy things about alcoholism, it's the only disease the tells you that you don't have anything wrong with you. I really didn't think I was THAT bad....I sure as shit didn't think I was an alcoholic....cuz everyone I hung out with and liked drank like I did. Non-drinkers were boring to me so I didn't get to know them or spend time with them. So everyone in my circle reinforced my lifestyle.

I deal with my alcoholism by applying the AA principles in my everyday life. So I had to go to AA to learn the principles, then I had to apply them. I had to learn a different way of living but that's not enough....I also had to learn how to deal with the crazy emotions that I experienced on a daily basis. It wasn't easy and I had to have help...AA was vital to me. Now in AA I try to reach out to newcomers and help others but I also want to help myself....so I listen carefully to what other share. YOu never know when you'll hear something that will help you....even from the newest of newcomers.

The nice thing about AA and recovery, I don't have to deal with tomorrows problems today. I just deal with life, one day at a time....sometimes a whole day is too long of a period of time. So sometimes I have to deal with life one moment at a time.

I try to stay from events where alcohol is going to be served but there's no reason to miss an event if I have reason to be there. I can and have been in bars and parties where large amounts of alcohol is being served. However, I didn't do this till I was well steeped in the principles of AA and had discussed these things with my sponsor. That's really important...so today, after many years of sobriety, I give myself permission to go to parties but at anytime, if I feel uncomfortable, I also give myself permission to leave.

Anyways, hope that answers all your questions. I could easily expand any one of these responses but then, this would be one of the longest posts in history. lol