MMA I think Gomi didnt train for his fight against Diaz

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by archangel, Feb 26, 2007.

1. archangel

archangel Active Member

He thought it would be a cakewalk so he decided not to train for it. He looked horrible!

2. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Gomi is a great fighter, but a terrible champion. If it isnt a title shot, he doesnt care

3. Teh Awesome!

Teh Awesome! Guest

Gomi's excuse list
    • Jet Lag
    • Didn't train properly
    • Broken finger
    • Not comfortable fighting on foreign soil
    • Quality of Air in Las Vegas
    • Nick Diaz cheated

4. HouseLing

HouseLing When masturbations lost its fun you'r fucking lazy

to me, it looked like he was out partying the night before, and it caught up to him. just what was going through my mind when i saw it and thought of vegas :o

5. archangel

archangel Active Member

I'm sure he thought of Diaz as low level fighter and wouldnt be any problem. So he went out on the town before his fight. Plus probably didnt even train hard so his cardio sucked

6. Civil Disobedient

Civil Disobedient "Die Biting The Throat" OT Supporter

If thats the case then he doesn't deserve to be a champion. I'm not a big fan of Diaz, but that guy has been in some wars, beat some pretty good fighters, and I don't think any of his losses have been stoppages; they all went to decision.

Even if you thought Diaz sucked, wouldn't you train hard so that you could kill him quick, demonstrate your excellence, and go to your after party?

7. DooDoobutter

DooDoobutter New Member

I agree, Gomi came in with a poor mental attitude and in my eyes is undeserving of being champion. Suffering 2 losses, althought non title, makes me question Gomi a lot.

8. Kuet

Kuet New Member

we should enjoy this- it is a one fight deal. And the fight just happened.:mamoru:

9. maks

maks Bah! t(-_-t)

I think gomi lost legitimately.

He trained ground work for this fight. Obviously, he went in with the game plan of taking diaz down, and probably wanted to finish quick with his ground 'n' pound. If he thought he could whup diaz standing, he wouldn't have gone for the take down. A few seconds after they got stood up, diaz knocked him with a few very accurate punches. This happened a few seconds before gomi rocked him. I can see how they were enough to stun gomi and lead to that loss. Straight jabs add up and diaz was deadly accurate.

If it was for lack of preparation...then yeah, Gomi doesn't deserve to be champ nor called the greatest with that attitude.

10. xinster

xinster New Member

i was just about to make this thread. boxing being one of his strengths its the olnly reason i can think of for some of those horrible swings he through end of the first. what a jackass, take his belt away, ANYBODY

11. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Its not that Gomi was out of shape, it was that Diaz has an akward style for Gomi. I think if they fought 5 more times, Diaz would win at least 4 of them.

12. Maestro Nobones

Maestro Nobones Great Job! - GLAD DADS CREW

yeah, that bullshit right there is one of the things that makes me mad about pride. you know gomi and that ref are tight, probably have lunch together on wednesdays. notice how heath herring was using the same tactic to no avail during his snorfest too? wonder where he picked that habit up?

13. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

Getting punched in the face a bunch of times will make someone look like they didnt train.

14. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

:werd:

Diaz is too tall for Gomi and a better ground game, horrible matchup for Gomi. And if Gomi didn't get punched in the head 3 dozen times the first round, he wouldn not have looked so gassed.

15. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

I agree he was definitely out of shape. He was doing well until his ability to breathe began deteriorating... and eventually he got so tired he was just letting Diaz hit him in the face repeatedly.

16. Skeletor

Skeletor Guest

all those punches landed after he gassed and stopped holding his guard.... he just let them connect.. it wasn't until that point that Diaz was actually getting a lot of shots in.

17. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Not 10 seconds after Diaz got up after the first takedown he nailed Gomi with a solid right hand that knocked Gomis head so he was looking right at the celeing, followed up by 3 more solid punches. Then Gomi knocked Diaz down. Soon as they got up again Gomi took 6+ shots to the face, got clinched, and got a bunch more shots to the face. Only then did he start droppin his hands. Maybe he didn't train enough for the fight, but I think Diaz would still beat him both standing and on the ground in a rematch.

18. xinster

xinster New Member

gomi's been kicked in the chin and got up unfazed. This reminds me of what happened with his last loss. if gomi keeps this shit up hes gonna go the way of penn

19. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

I still don't know what happened in this fight.

It's like Gomi was prepared to eat as many punches as he needed to get inside lanky Diaz and knock him out in highlight reel fashion.

I've re-watched and I'm still not sure why he eventually drops his hands. It's kind of surreal, like when Penn came in against Hughes in round 3 with his hands down and "gassed".

I notice when Gomi knocks down Diaz, he throws his hands up as if to celebrate, like he's expecting the ref to dive in and stop the fight, and that hesitation costs him a bit. Then when he's pleading with the ref to stop the fight due to Diaz's cut, as if to say, "I'm the Japanese poster boy! Why haven't you stopped this fight yet!"

20. xinster

xinster New Member

def i agree with u abotu him thinki9ng hes the poster boy. he wanted out of that fuckin fight

21. Kuet

Kuet New Member

look at my AV ..... it says it all....

22. Kuet

Kuet New Member

penn didnt gas, well he did but it was due to his 2 separated ribs...
    but you should have known that already.

23. whup

whup I wish you had children and.. so that I could step

Yeah that's why I put speechmarks around gassed, I was being sarcastic.

That Penn Hughes war was awesome, god I hate that Penn got injured. Hughes' GNP in the crucifix still wasn't hurting him. What do you have to do to cut Penn?!

I'm also a huge fan of GSP and Penn. Once Penn wins the LW title and then comes back to WW, I don't know who I'll be cheering for :)

24. Kuet

Kuet New Member

dude penn was totally taking it to hughes until that happened....:wtc:
    but then again, if penn won we wouldnt of been able to see gsp give hughes the left high-kick followed by elbows and gnp for tha TKO !!!!! :bowdown:

25. Degenerate

Degenerate Optimus Riem! OT Supporter

GSP will just end up beating BJ again