SRS I talk too fast and mumble

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by psyclone, Jul 13, 2009.

1. psyclone

psyclone o_O

I talk really fast and tend to mumble. I have been stopped twice this week and asked to slow down so people could understand me. any advice?

2. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

you mean in 12 step meetings?

I think we all do that sometimes :rofl:

Speak slower than you think you need too, pretend you are reading something, i guess just practice! We all get nervous :)

3. DIAFatty

DIAFatty Guest

for some reason i felt the need to read your post very quickly, skipping some of the words you wrote, in an attempt to read it like you would say it.

4. seismic

seismic New Member

One of my friends does this. It annoys me to no end. I can never understand what he's saying. He does a lot of meth. Are you using anything?

5. oakback

oakback New Member

My brother does this, I can't imagine how he sounds in job interviews with nervousness on top of it.I'm guessing it's hard to tell when you're doing it, but I'm sure you know afterward if you were speaking to fast (at least that's how I feel about my ramblings).

If you hang out with a regular group of friends, tell them you're trying to slow down your speaking, and for them to interrupt you when you talk to fast or mumble to correct you. Once you're much more aware of it, you should be able to think more clearly while speaking, and slow it down. My wife used to kick me under the table when I rambled, I've gotten better.

Public speaking is also a GREAT way to help your speaking skills. When you're projecting your voice and speaking a prepared oration, you're forced to choose your words more carefully and to enunciate clearly. If you're up for that, I'm sure there's a Toastmasters club in your area.

6. illectronic

illectronic I'm Coming Home OT Supporter

When does this usually happen? Are you on any meds? Have you seeked outside medical help for this? For me, if I'm manic that shit happens all the time. You think faster than you can speak basically.

7. chickenfeather

chickenfeather New Member

I just noticed that I do this recently because a 5 year old called me out on it :wtc: Prior to this I just assumed people were ignoring me when in reality no one could hear the unintelligible mumbling that was coming out of my mouth. You have to make an active effort to speak louder and open your mouth. Practice this by singing in front of a mirror or reading a book in front of a mirror.

8. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Don't speak as fast as you can think, think as fast as you can speak. Use a tape recorder to capture your voice, then play it back later and see if you can understand what you were saying. If you can't understand your own voice on a tape recorder, nobody else can either.

I tend to speak faster and slur more around my family because we all kinda speak the same New-England-meets-Tennessee dialect. Around everyone else I slow down.

9. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

in a sales training i did once we left ourselves voicemails

10. CodeX

CodeX Guest

I have the same problem, people are always asking me to repeat what I said because I speak so fast that words blend together I guess, it's actually tied to intelligence, especially if you are trying to explain an idea and your brain is thinking faster than you can say it.

It even happens when I post here, I am a pretty fast typer, I havent tested how fast but I write computer programs for a living and type thousands or even tens of thousands of words every day, then come on forums lol. When I am typing a post I usually think the whole thing out in my head over and over again multiple times as I am typing, revising/editing it in my head before I even get a chance to type it.

11. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Uhm...stop talking so fast and speak louder?

It's not that hard but it does take practice. Finish a sentence when you start it. Realize that you don't have to have a brain dump....just talk in complete sentences.

12. psyclone

psyclone o_O

Im the same. I think really fast and when im tired especially i just talk faster and faster. I drink lots of coffee but don’t have any regular illicit drug habits. I used to take a pills a fair bit back in the day. It may have seemed like a strange place to post this thread but i figured some people recovering from drug habits may know a bit about it?

I am a mathematician and engineer so talking effectively is a pretty big deal for me. I am very average reading out loud too, so i have been practicing that. I am used to reading at speed or skim reading and struggle to slow down and read everything out slowly. I think i should join a public speaking class :) thanks for you advice guys!

13. don21stc

don21stc New Member

Talking fast is generally a sign of intelligence or at least a brain that acts very quickly and is always full of ideas.
    If you speak clearly then speed shouldn't be too much of an issue provided what you're saying is in properly constructed sentences that come to a proper end. If people can't follow you even if you speak clearly, maybe you're just not expressing yourself.
    I used to speak quickly and mumble, like the author of this thread. I still speak fast but I don't mumble so much - I think my mumbling was covering a lack of confidence or something.
    The thing I find really irritating is if people try to butt in before you've finished what you're saying - it's bad manners in my opinion but sometimes I think it's genuinely because their minds are overflowing with ideas as well, so it's hardly my place to criticise!
    To conclude, I would say that mumbling is worse than talking too fast both for you and the people you're talking to.

14. solarian

solarian ya heard

I've been working on this also, it may seem weird to fully pronounce words at first, but soon you will realize that this is normal! Your voice will change a little also, instead of a light tone, you will actually talk the way you always should have!!

15. SBIArn

SBIArn OT Supporter

I have the same problem, and not to mention I tend to stutter a couple of words when I talk to fast. I also mumble.. A LOT!
    I tend to have to take a deep breath and start over purposely going slower than before and speak clearer than the mumbling. Although if there is indeed a better method, I'm all ears.

16. Rampage

Rampage OT Supporter

I used to have this, I learnt if you talk slowly, you can be a better person.