SRS I sure wish whitmer's thread hadn't been locked.

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by O'Fuck, Jun 3, 2008.

1. O'Fuck

O'Fuck Guest

Sorry if this is out of line, I'm new here.

Ya, it got a bit unruly... but I think it was taking a positive turn and had a bright future.

I logged on this morning and found it, and it dealt with many of the questions and issues I've been working on lately. I was so excited to read exactly what I needed to hear today, only to find it was closed just as it was really getting started.

Maybe I'm just not clear on how things work back here. But that thread would have been very helpful to us AA noobs had it been allowed to go on.

2. Bennybenguin

Bennybenguin Active Member

Well you are the boss.

3. O'Fuck

O'Fuck Guest

lol well played sir

4. Bennybenguin

Bennybenguin Active Member

:h5:

5. O'Fuck

O'Fuck Guest

Glad I'm not the only one.

There are likely going to be a lot of people new to this shit. Like me. Just cause we might seem a little hardheaded at first doesn't mean we aren't worthy of figuring this stuff out.

I've come a long way in just a month myself. From "oh I can only make one meeting a week"... to doing at least 3 or 4 meetings per week. I still have a difficult time with the religious overtones and some of the rigid structure.

I left the meeting last night wondering why we are told we can choose are own HP, yet we close with the lord's prayer. So I was glad to wake up to a discussion about that... while it lasted.

6. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Here's another one that thought it should NOT have been closed.
    You absolutely ARE worthy of figuring this stuff out. IMO you should have the ability to challenge whatever is said either in meetings or in these subforums.

Any theory or idea that is worth believing in can withstand any amount of criticism or scrutiny. In fact, that's part of how I came to stay in AA. Had I not been allowed to discuss the principles, I would have been out.

I'm not sure why it was closed because it seemed to have a lot of value to me.
    Congrats on your progress. I wish you all the best.
    Another cool thing I love about AA is when I've been wanting to discuss something or confused about something, I show up at a meeting and they're discussing the EXACT issue I'm wanting clarification on. This has happened so many times it's kind of freaky.

7. O'Fuck

O'Fuck Guest

The AA founders were christian, sure. But why go through so much trouble to emphasize "as we understood him" if they wanted to establish a christian tradition?

I'm not trying to come off like I have some HUGE problem with it. I just find it a bit odd. It doesn't offend me to the point where I want to make some big production of going to get coffee when everyone is praying. Instead I just try and quietly reflect on my version.

Its not going to run me out of AA. But unfortunately I know people for whom it has.

Maybe its just my old paranoid nature, but I usually read any type of 'hsugh' reply as "you fucking idiot". I think this is a subject that will be important to any new, non-christian person that goes to AA :dunno:

I can't help but think of last week's meeting. When an old man took the floor and said 'I am a pastor and AA is based on the Lord God' and there would be no cussing ever again in this room of the lord. All these poor troubled people had to keep stopping their stories to apologize when the words slipped out.

8. Coottie

You know...it used to strike me as strange also. Then I found it really comforting to say it at the end of meetings and when I was having really difficult days, it was a welcome end to meetings.
    I don't know if you've met Floyd yet but he always says, "If God runs you out of meetings, that booze will run you right back in." :)

I would have, and have many times, spoken up and reminded everyone that we are all entitled to choose a God of our understanding. It's not because they would be attacking my beliefs it's more for those people that are either new or are still struggling with AA.

So many people think it really doesn't matter if those words...as we understood him...are there. They think the AA god is the christian god but the literature is very clear. The preamble states, "A.A. is not allied with any sect, denomination, politics, organization or institution; does not wish to engage in any controversy; neither endorses nor opposes any causes."

It's unfortunate that such discussions often cause confusion, pain and difficulty for newcomers but if they are as desperate for help as I was, they'll stay.

9. undirected

undirected Guest

I think that i killed tupac had a bit of a god complex and decided to try to play hardball. That's okay, whatever creams his twinkie, but I really think he should thoroughly consider the implications of his actions when he's dealing with something that, as Coottie put it in another thread, is very much life or death for some people.

And once again, as I said in that PM, I'm so glad I can't even describe it that I'm not the only one having problems with the things you mentioned. I've attended probably...I dunno, 500 or more meetings and I have YET to meet anybody who will even admit to having those issues in the past, much less anybody who will admit to still struggling with it

Sucks that we're in the minority, but as they say, the squeaky wheel gets the grease, right? If we speak up and make it quite frank and apparent that simply saying "read the Big Book" is not a viable answer for everything things might change a bit, slowly but surely

10. O'Fuck

O'Fuck Guest

If you are talking about the Floyd I think you are talking about... he's a great friend of my mother's and someone I always really liked back when I was going to meetings with my ma as a kid. I haven't bumped into him in many years but I'm always hoping to see him soon :)

11. Coottie

This is why getting a sponsor is so important because there is SOOO much work that's done with them. Sometimes a simple cup of coffee can be profoundly revealing.....no not the coffee itself but what is said while drinking it.

I learned so much from talking with my sponsor that it was amazing to me. However, this feeling usually came sometime latter. At the time, I thought, FUCK HIM HE'S WRONG!! lol

12. Coottie

He's a regular at the 6:30am meeting at The Western Club. Or at least he used to be.

The Floyd I'm talking about is a big black guy that's a postal worker. He's got some great sobriety and he's fun to be around....and man does he have some interesting stories.

Not sure if that's the guy you know but if so, I occasionally see him at the May Club but he's supposedly a regular at that early bird meeting at TWC.

13. O'Fuck

O'Fuck Guest

Yep, thats ol Floyd :big grin:

I haven't seen him in literally like almost 18 years :eek3:

You might actually know my mom too. We've spent most of this year getting her to eat and walk again. She got hit hard with a very rare vascular disease. 18 years sober last saturday :)

14. Coottie

Awesome....he's a great guy and one of my all time favorites. He's helped me so much though out the years. There was a time when I was maybe 4 years sober and just all fucked up in the head.....like everything was wrong, job, home, life, everything!!

I saw Floyd at a meeting and desperate, I ran up to him and just started purging. I was spewing all this shit about what was going on and all that....he just listened then said very calmly, "Well....keep coming back". :rofl:

I was pissed...I couldn't believe it. It seemed like he didn't want to help me and didn't give a shit about my problems. Turns out, he was giving me the best advice. It really is that simple sometimes.
    Unfortunately I don't but it's because I haven't been going to meetings much lately. I've been working hard and allowing life to keep me away. I really need to get back.

I'm really sorry to hear about your mom. I hope she's OK. What's her first name, if you don't mind posting it.

15. O'Fuck

O'Fuck Guest

First name is Tricia. We always did May Club when I was a kid, but I think she's mostly done Western since then.

Speaking of May Club... the other night there was a lady there who just hit 43 years :eek3: It turned out she and three other people started May Club in the 70's because there were no clubs around.

16. Coottie

Hmm...I know some Tricias but none with 18 years...or at least I can't think of any.
    Was that Opal? I think she was around back then. If so, she's friggin amazing.

17. ~stangzorized~

~stangzorized~ New Member

I love OKC.

18. O'Fuck

O'Fuck Guest

I wanna say it was Helen, but I do remember an Opal too. I think they were both there.

19. O'Fuck

O'Fuck Guest

We are pretty awesome aren't we.

20. bdub

bdub New Member

AA noob here.

21. O'Fuck

O'Fuck Guest

Uh oh, more okc crew :mamoru:

22. bdub

bdub New Member

brand new AAer, long time OKCer