GUN I suck v. IDPA

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by GarandBobcat, Jul 23, 2008.

1. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

So I finally entered the local IDPA match 'round here on Saturday. Used my mostly-stock Springfield 1911.
    20 competitors....

...I finished dead last. :Ownedd:

But 4th in accuracy :hs:

And 1st in my Division (CDP --unranked/whateverit'scalledwhenyou'reunclassified) :mamoru:

What Yar and AB said about getting spanked by everybody in your first match is true...:hsd:

2. PanzerAce

PanzerAce Active Member

Stage 2 done fucked you up :o

If you hadn't blown that, you probably would have been 15th or so :dunno:

3. Milky

Milky I'm in your Millenium Falcon, rumbling your Wookie

Awesome, I bet you're hooked now, aren't you?

4. texchef

texchef Guest

I have done about a half dozen matches and always bring up the rear. It is a blast regardless. I did do better with my new G19 the last one. NOt sure why. ibglockisbetterthanxd

5. hsracer201

hsracer201 New Member

i would love to shoot a match sometime, but there are no such matches around here.

OP, somebody's gotta be last. dont' sweat it. at least you have actually shot a match. that's better than i can say.

6. PumpScout

PumpScout New Member

I have to wonder, does competition shooting teach you to handle your weapon in a fashion that would comprimise you in a "real world" firefight? The only competative group around here does the cowboy shoots, and an area sherriff said he had to relearn how to shoot to score well for that. :hsughno:

7. In a real world firefight, you will benefit greatly from the speed and accuracy you have to learn to do will in competition shooting. While sometimes there are odd rules regarding some things, overall the skills you learn will vastly improve your shooting.

8. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

no worries once upon a time Yar came in dead last at his first match too.

9. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

My world is shattered.:eek4:

10. texchef

texchef Guest

No fucking wai!! :wtc:

11. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

:hs: dont worry broseph, you'll get better.

12. AB13

AB13 New Member

Everyone starts somewhere. The difficult part is over, actually getting to and participating at a match. Now you know what I mean by never being prepared for one until you shoot one. You could not have known how or what to practice for that sort of thing. I hear all the time " oh well, I have to practice before I can do that. " I say " really, what are you practicing?" My point is you just have to go out there and " do eet".

What a rush getting up to the line, hot and anticipating the buzzer. I have new shooters always say they have mad butterfly's, I always respond, so do I. :) The day those butterflies go away is the day I hang it up.

Good for you! The first few months will be a blur, and the next thing you know, you're in the middle of things fighting for position in your division.

13. texchef

texchef Guest

NONE of the matches I have shot do anything in the way of division rankings. It seems like social gathering with guys showing up just to get practice for the bigger shoots out of town/state. I have fun but I have been real disappointed in how they are run and the fact that there seems to be no rhyme or reason for the match. Go out, get squad, shoot, wait a week for results, rinse and repeat. They rank you on what you shoot and not how you finish overall.

14. Soybomb

Soybomb New Member

Sounds like fun, I wish we had those around here!

15. AB13

AB13 New Member

It doesn't sould like your club is a true sanctioned IDPA club. I would venture elsewhere. I did a little research for you, but since I don't know Texas very well, don't know what is closest to you. Check out this list. Hope this helps.

http://idpa.com/clublist.asp?state=TX

16. yar1182

yar1182 New Member

easy, go shoot uspsa/ipsc. IDPA is weak sauce anyway.

17. texchef

texchef Guest

Yea, been there. Very few of the good ones are not close at all.

No IPSC at all around here.

18. GarandBobcat

GarandBobcat New Member

I enjoyed it, even though it was my first time trying to shoot a pistol under any kind of time stress.
    RO's were making sure I knew the stage, etc., since I was a complete n00b (well, I listened during the stage briefs and such, I'm vaguely aware of how it works, just never done it before), and occasionally checking that I was actually doing the stage right.
    I'll be doing it again, but since the local sheriff's dep't just swore me in, I might do it with my duty rig next time...

Oh, is it normal to not remember finding your front sight after the fact? I didn't miss all that much, compared to the field anyway, but after I got home, I wasn't sure if I'd actually been properly seeing it...

19. AB13

AB13 New Member

That's what pressure does to you, you don't realize you have a front sight until "after" the match. It's called adrenaline. A little more matches and practice and, viola! hey look, someone put a front sight on my gun! :mamoru:

20. AB13

AB13 New Member

Trigger time is trigger time. I know your talking in jest, maybe not. I hear it from both camps. IDPA'ers call them gamers, USPSA shooters call them rule nazis.

Each has their strong points. I like IDPA because it requires you to think more and use tactics by implementing strict rules, sequence, etc.

I love USPSA for the "problem" solving aspect of it. I love the ability to shoot the stage "different", and of course run and gun aspect of it.

As with guns, I'm the same way about shooting. I'm not an IDPA shooter, nor a USPSA shooter, I'm just a shooter. Lots of hard cores in either group, lifes a buffet, have a little of both! :)

21. 12many

12many s;lkfm;oja;g OT Supporter

All i have is a Sig p6. Whould this be ok to use for a first timer?

22. AB13

AB13 New Member

Ideally you would like a gun that will have a capacity of at least 10+1. But it's not like you "can't" use it. You'll be doing a lot of reloads, which will be good practice.

Get a holster, mag pouches and some magazines and your good to go.

23. Thumper

Thumper OT Supporter

I have got to find a place close to me that does this and try it. All of the people on here who have been doing it for their first time seem to really be enjoying it. Sounds like a great way to spend a day.

24. AB13

AB13 New Member

http://idpa.com/clublist.asp?state=VA

25. 12many

12many s;lkfm;oja;g OT Supporter

Awesome. I think i can get some ten round mags.