I suck at detailing.

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by SkyAce2004, Oct 17, 2007.

1. SkyAce2004

SkyAce2004 New Member

I just spent 5 hours polishing my car with SONUS products. I used the SFX-1, then the 2, then the 3 and then applied the P21U or whatever the hell its called wax. The car and shine look great, but the car STILL has swirl marks!!!

Its a black 02 altima BTW, I found a link:
    http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=3199993

But seriously, what the hell am I doing wrong? I was using the PC on max warp speed, and I was putting some decent pressure on the damn thing (enough to bog it down a little bit). Is it me, or the crappy products im using?

2. Paulie Walnuts

Paulie Walnuts Im an agent of chaos

Well you should have inspected your work after progressing after each Sonus product. I dont know what level of abrasive that 1, 2, 3 have but if you didnt remove them with the most abrasive what would make you think that you would get them out with a lower abrasive?

To get the PC to perform optimally you need to apply 10 to 20 pounds of pressure while polishing / compounding. And yes, you should have it cranked to warp speed as the PC does not cut a whole hell of a lot as it is. Make sure you going in over lapping motions and moving pretty slow across the paint with adequate pressure.

If you cannot correct them with the PC you will need to step up to a cyclo or rotary.

From Megs OnLine:

http://meguiarsonline.com/forums/thread/35439.aspx

3. SkyAce2004

SkyAce2004 New Member

well the step 1 was the most abrasive, and i spent about 2 hrs on the whole car using that. I was doing small spots at a time, going warp speed and using plenty of pressure. yeah, my towels were brand new. the problem was i was working in a garage with 1 light. it looked pretty good until i brought the car out into the sunlight.

dont get me wrong, the car looks good, but there are still swirls in the paint :mad:

4. JRock10

JRock10 Active Member

make sure the pad still rotates as well as oscillate. I make that mistake as well, putting too much pressure on the PC and losing rotation.

edit: it's caused by my noobness to the PC. i don't think you can bog a rotary, well not without melting a fender off.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

What kind of car? Some paints are a lot harder than others.

Optimum Compound or Meguiars DACP #83 and a cutting pad work well for me on harder paints.