I suck at computers (or have worst luck ever)

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by o2, Nov 29, 2007.

1. o2

o2 Witty Title Here OT Supporter

So my 680i mobo's sound got fried, and EVGA, being a shitty company that it is, doesnt cross ship, so I bought an Asus version of the mobo. The mobo is DOA, and loops reboots. I send it back, get it replaced. Put it it, it works, except I get a blue screen about every 6 hours while using the PC.

I go out and buy Asus Maximus, put it.... it all works, except the optical port (which is dead) and when I enable RAID in bios, I get a BSOD on boot.

I ship out the fired EVGA, get it replaced. Put it in, and its DOA, no beep, no error codes, nothing.

What the fuck!

2. Kelex

Kelex New Member

user error

3. ParTyBoy

ParTyBoy New Member

Have you tested your memory? You could have bad RAM.

4. PC Principle

PC Principle New Member

Yeah it may be something else causing it. I just fixed a laptop that was having similar problems by pulling the RAM out.

5. o2

I replaced RAM as well. Same story.

6. o2

I fixed the bsod on boot on the maximus by downgrading the RAID drivers, but the optical port is still dark.

7. ParTyBoy

ParTyBoy New Member

just because you replaced the ram doesn't mean that ram isn't bad. Have you properly tested the RAM?

8. o2

Nope.... how do I do that?

9. ParTyBoy

ParTyBoy New Member

http://www.memtest86.org

1. download iso
    2. burn to cd
    3. shutdown computer
    4. Grab motherboard manual, find DIMM numbering schematic.
    (this should list how each slot is numbered, i.e. 1-3-2-4, and tells you the order you should insert RAM. So if you only have one stick it goes in dimm slot #1, if you have two sticks, they should only use slots #1 & #2. and so on.)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow steps if you have more than one stick of memory
    5. ground yourself to the case _BEFORE_ touching memory.
    6. remove all sticks of memory from the motherboard except the stick in DIMM slot #1. (Do not place memory on Carpet) :hsugh:
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

7. reboot the machine, enter the bios.
    8. set the DVD/CD drive boot order before the hard drive.
    9. save bios settings
    10. reboot PC, insert the burned cd of memtest into the drive.
    11. the cd should boot on its own, but watch the screen, you may be required to press a key after POST to get the cd to boot.

Allow memtest to run all 7 passes. If you encounter errors, you have a bad stick of RAM. Repeat for each stick of RAM.

Note: It is possible to have bad RAM and not be detected by memtest. I've only seen this happen with Crucial Ballistix RAM and it was a pretty isolated case, but it can happen.

A couple of years ago Crucial had a widespread engineering issue with Crucial Ballistix DDR memory. This was widely talked about on various forums, but never officially acknowledged by Crucial. Basically, any time a substantial load was placed on a PC the system would crash. The RAM would operate for about 4-8 weeks without issues, then eventually it would degrade until signs of system instability would begin to show in the form of BSOD reboots or a total power down (black screen shut off). Often times memtest would not show any errors until the memory was so far gone that it was almost dead.

Last edited: Nov 29, 2007
  10. o2

Ok I shall do this tomorrow night, but I honestly doubt thats the case. My old ram worked for over 8 months, flawlessly, until the mobo died. The new RAM works fine on the Asus Maximus, now that I downgraded the RAID driver, but optical is still broken.

11. Leb_CRX

Leb_CRX OT's resident terrorist

dont assume cause something was working yesterday, it's working today, especially with IT

test it with memtest, and report back

and you have some shitty ass luck dude :o