GUN I struggle with some people's logic

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by [DWI], Mar 9, 2008.

1. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I was having dinner with my parents and my dad and I get into a conversation. (He's doesn't know I have a permit to carry) He's telling me about how he had to go to a "company policy meeting" regarding firearms, because a woman at work was having domestic problems with her husband and was fearful for her safety. So she had a shotgun in the car, well someone saw it in the car in the parking garage and got all :ugh::eek3::noes: about it. So the whole staff had these meetings where they were told that the company did not like weapons of any kind even by those who hold a concealed weapons permit, even if I don't agree they are entitled to their opinion. However they brought in a "paid professional" to discuss "safety" or some such thing. This professional tells them that there are 500,000 concealed weapons permits in northwest florida alone, when the state's website says there are 627,189 total in the state, only 478,293 being civilian CWP (the rest are judges, officers, security guards, recovery agents, private investigators ect) So after being told they could not have weapons and being told that there were more permit holders in the area than there actually were, here is where I lose them completely, apparently to defend yourself every time you walk to your car, you should not have mace, a gun, a knife or a taser, but every time you walk to your car you should put your keys your hand and make a fist with the keys protruding from between your fingers.

Cliffs: Company says you cannot have weapons, but to defend yourself you should always use your keys to make ghetto spiked knuckles when walking to your car.

Logic has failed.

2. Admitted

Admitted I shouldn't be on OT right now.

"Paid professional" what a joke.

3. Keesh

Keesh New Member

Good thing they are supporting the use of an effective method to defend oneself :coolugh:

4. CString

CString New Member

i'm the only one professional enough to carry a glock foty :cool:

5. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

concealed means concealed. i wouldnt risk my life on their dime.

and fuck their "professional" its probably that DEA agent who got fired.

6. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

yep. 99% of the time where carry is "frowned" upon... you should be able to get away with it. Except for a pat-down or metal detector, you should already be profficient at carrying without attracting attention to or printing your firearm.... So what someone doesn't know, can't hurt em.

7. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

I haven't bothered with a CCW either since we are not allowed to even have firearms in our cars at work. :hsugh:

8. vettefan52

vettefan52 Guest

we are not supposed to have them in our cars at work either, but that means i would not have the gun all day. what they dont know/see wont hurt them.

9. Gimik

Gimik New Member

Just remember that your company doesn't really care about your safety - they care about money, and to them a weapon = liability. They wouldn't even have fire extinguishers or safe elevators unless it was regulated by the govt.

Your safety is up to you.

10. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

does the company hire a secuirty guard to walk the woman with the stalker to her vehicle?

11. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

Agreed. Every day at work. Every fucking day.

Including right now. Hi Smithy, how YOU doin? :coolugh:

12. Slick26

They care about themselves. They care about liability and reputation.

This is why I have decided to carry at work, despite my company's policy about them.

Fuck em. They don't care about me, and I don't care about them. Fuck their shitty job. My life > them.

13. Slick26

At my company, I AM the security guard. No guns allowed. :ugh:

Did I mention fuck em? No one knows, and no one will ever know.
    The time they finally know about it, will be the time I just saved my life with it.
    I'll get fired, but I'll have my life, and my kids will get to see their dad another day.
    That's what's important to me. Not their shitty rules.

14. crazynova

crazynova OT Supporter

In Nevada, to properly ban concealed weapons carry in a building, there has to be a clearly visible sign at every entrance saying so. If its similar in Florida, and they dont follow that, I would say fuck it and carry anyways. If they fire you, and the firearms thing wasnt in the company policy you signed when you started, you could probably sue them.

Hell, my last company, the owners all had CCWs, and would come in and show us thier new "toys" (in a safe manner of course). The owner said if anyone had a problem with guns, they could find work elsewhere.

15. Slick26

At my company, we have signs... the great thing about that though, they aren't displayed properly. :mamoru:

16. NEp8ntballer

NEp8ntballer New Member

that's my kinda business owner.

17. Jumpem

Jumpem OT Supporter

They have the right to search our vehicles.

18. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

same... they even got the size of the whole sign right, and even the 1 inch letters on the NOTICE, but they forgot to make the part about no weapons 1 inch. Course I'm friends with the VP, so i doubt it'd be an issue. I'm just to lazy to "get approval"... it's pretty easy to pocket carry.

19. nozoki

nozoki Hail to the king, baby.

employee: So what you're saying is I should keep my keys in my fist every time I'm walking out to my car?

paid pro: yes

employee: why?

paid pro: So you can defend youself in case of attack.

employee: If there's enough risk of me being attacked that you're telling me to always be prepared to defend whenever I'm in the parking lot, shouldn't I be allowed to carry the most effective personal defense item there is?

paid pro: uuuuuhhhhhhhh duuurrhhhh...... logic....make brain hurt.....stop thinking.....

20. Keesh

Keesh New Member

[​IMG]

21. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I agree and I understand, hell I still carry when I go visit him at work and some other places where it is frowned upon, but it is a shitty situation for someone who wanted to carry since its their safety or grounds for termination.

Florida had a bill being considered last year that would allow employees to leave the gun in the car, but a pro-gun guy turned on the bill saying it was really a property rights issue and not a gun rights issue, still out of sight out of mind, work may be safe but too and from work may not be so nice.

That happened some time back and I doubt my father actually knows what they did about it and he didn't say anything.

Oh I know the company he works for and let's just say the too biggest chunks of their company are insurance polices and lawyers, of course it is all about their asses.

I live in Florida and while I have looked and there is nothing in the law code about signage, nothing in my training course, nothing in the paper work for the permit or that came with the permit. Basically what it comes down to is they can post the sign if they want (its funny to see some of them, normally movie theaters only on the ticket booth and kind of crappy at that) but you can ignore it if you want, if they catch you they can ask you to leave and if you refuse you can be charged with trespassing. If it is at your place of work though you have just given them grounds for termination and you have no legal protection.

22. Burmonster

Burmonster OT Supporter

I am waiting for the court case to come up where someone was not able to defend themselves because they didn't have their firearm on them because their place of employment does not allow firearms even in their vehicles.

When I go to work I don't spend all day their. The drive there and the drive home and everywhere in between when I am not on their property I should be allowed legal access to my firearm.

23. Paul Revere

Paul Revere OT Supporter

[​IMG]

24. hsmith

hsmith OT Supporter

That is what really will have to start happening.

Same with malls that "disarm" CHP holders. Something happens, massive lawsuit.