SRS I stopped smoking finally

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by girle, Mar 10, 2005.

1. girle

girle Blindfolded

I'm here because i quit smoking 4 days ago after 12 years as a heavy smoker. i came in here and read all the smoking addiction stuff last week, got on the Aussie Quit site, calculated I'd spent over $50,000AUD on them and it really hit me. Thats a pretty big investment in my own death.

Anyway I quit on monday and I feel like a weight has been lifted off my shoulders. i really want to thank everyone for their advice in this forum.

I guess i just realised finally that if you dont have control over your mind and body, you havent got much. And even though its soooo hard, i really feel determined, i just hope the feeling lasts. So yeh - thanks, i owe you all one! :hsd:

2. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Right on, congratulations and good luck. A key to quitting is realizing how much money you've wasted on cigarettes, and realizing you don't really enjoy most of the cigarettes you smoke. Keep us posted on your progress

3. rYu

rYu OT Supporter

illness made me quit automaticly :mamoru:

4. girle

girle Blindfolded

thanks. im still off them! i guess this weekend will be the real test. :hs:

5. j.

j. Guest

today it's been 2 weeks since my last cigarette. i too quit from illness and have done so many times. recently, it was from surgery that i had on my throat due to chronic tonsillitis. i used to always get some time together not smoking then just go back and try to have that casual cigarette and it always led me right back to where i started.

somebody recently told me that it only gets harder and that they've never met anyone who smoked heavily that could go back and have a casual cigarette. i've never met anyone that could do that either.

i'm glad you've quite girlelixir, keep up the good work and thanks for the inspiration.

6. girle

girle Blindfolded

ooh, 2 weeks. Im looking forward to reaching that.

I agree - i know ill never be able to be a now-and-again smoker (dammit!) Thats probably the hardest part, realising i cant ever have a cigarette ever again.

How often do you think about having one now?

7. girle

girle Blindfolded

btw - welcome to OT! :wavey:

8. j.

j. Guest

i haven't been thinking about cigarettes much at all since the surgery. mostly, i think, because my throat just hurts so damn much that i wouldn't want to smoke a cigarette, but also because i've recently broken up with my girlfriend which is making me think more about drinking and using so i've been focusing most of my energy on staying sober from things that cause me more problems than cigarettes.
    i have no doubt that the urge to smoke will come back to me once i become healthy again but what my friend said the other day made a lot of sense.
    after meals was always the hardest for me after i quit drinking. that was where i'd usually go back to smoking. i'd be out to eat with someone that smoked and just couldn't handle the urge. when did you like to have a smoke the most?

9. girle

girle Blindfolded

pretty much always lol! after food, when drinking, when cruising in my car, when procrastinating, when hungry, you name it, i pretty much wanted one. I was the classic person to say, "yes for sure, ill just have this ciggy.."

Ive kinda done the full detox, i havent taken drugs for a while, but was drinking every day too, so i thought i might as well get rid of that in parrallel. so no alcohol for 5 days now either.

Its easy because im too scared to drink in case i smoke. And drugs, well ive been invited out partying this weekend for a bender but i just said no. Ive come too far to sit at some gig where everyone is off their nuts and drinking and smoking etc.

Instead im going to see my family. I think we are planning to do some gardening :rofl:

10. PNice972

PNice972 OT Supporter

awesome! keep it up

11. Dogz

Dogz interior crocodile moderator

Im only 21 but ive been smoking for 7 years today is the 5th day off the ciggies. Its not as bad as i thought it would be, i could still kill someone for a drag but gonna get through this...i used to be so fit could run a mile and half in 9.30 mins, now im going in the army and i should really get back to getting fit and being able to run without coughing and wheezing.
    I hope all you guys do really well at giving up, i wish you the best of luck.