A&P I stopped a bullet mid-flight

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by jeepilot, Mar 26, 2008.

1. jeepilot

jeepilot Banned

I give you my first attempt at becoming Edgerton.

It's a repost from WMD, but I figured you all might appreciate it too.

I put together a sound trigger for my flash and tested it out the other night.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    If you look at the pic above and below, you'll notice they're different, yet the pellet was in the exact same place. for hand holding the gun, and reseting the target, it shows the consistency of the system.
    [​IMG]

Below, the pellet was deflected upward as it hit the box. You can also see my sound trigger. There's an adjustable delay on the unit, but you can also fine-tune the delay by moving the mic.
    [​IMG]

Below, If you look closely, you can see the pellet just impacting the box in the lower right corner of the box, but it hasn't punched through yet.
    [​IMG]
    Here, you can see another deflection just as it's coming off of the box.

[​IMG]

I was using a Sig P228 Airsoft pistol that I got on eBay a few years ago. I would guess pellet speed to be somewhere around 180-200fps. The box is for the breadboard that came in the kit. Flash was set just to camera left. Camera shutter was remote triggered using IR trigger, then I shot the gun, and flash was triggered by sound of gun. 2 sec exposure at 500iso for the camera. Flash duration is somewhere around 1/25000 second, so that becomes the effective shutter speed. Camera was Nikon D80, with SB600 Flash.

I will eventually move up to food, and then other breakables and balloons too. This was just after I got it finished and it was pretty late. I just wanted to see if it worked, which it did pretty well. I don't think my flash is quick enough to stop a .22short. It may if I only use a pistol.

The kit wasn't too hard to build if you've done any sort of basic circuitry before. You simply plug the components into the breadboard and that's it. The kit can be found here: http://www.hiviz.com/kits/sk2-du.htm I got a PC sync-cord with it, and it came out to $37.75 with shipping. There are diagrams and good instructions on that site as well if you click around. You could probably save some money if you wanted to try it yourself, but it worked with zero problems for me, and included extra capacitors and resistors to change the delay, and different configurations for the delay.

Anyone else ever do anything like this?

2. DRAIGON

DRAIGON New Member

Nice.

3. Nick Gerz

Nick Gerz OT Supporter