MMA I start amateur boxing training on the 2nd of July

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by FrankieSixxxgun, Jun 20, 2007.

1. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun New Member

Any pro/amateur boxers that can give me tips, warnings, just general info on what to expect? Right now I'm 6'1"-6'2" and about a dead even 200lbs (13% BF). I figure I should have no problem dropping into cruiser weight for weigh in. Experiences, stories, anything anybody wants to share? I've heard that it doesn't matter how fit you are, boxing training will make you feel weak and out of shape. I'm a 4-5 day a week strength trainer right now, so is that what I should be expecting?

I accidentally posted this in the fitness forum too, so disregard the cross post.

2. Optamix

Optamix New Member

If its a good gym, they will make you feel like an out of shape 12 year old girl.

If you're like most of us in the cage, you will fucking love it.

3. FrankieSixxxgun

I've always loved boxing and talked about it on and off for a while now. A friend are I just decided to pony up and do it. He just told me to hold off until the 2nd so he can get paid, otherwise I'd be in there tonight. I'm stoked!

The place is Tampa Bay Boxing and they claim to have trained Wright and Tarver. Ali's trainer trains there part time too they say. They have pics on the wall and everything. The place is a warehouse with a ring in the middle, so it's no upscale gym. I guess it was recently opened to the public, so they do cardio boxing now too if you want, but a lot of people there are stone cold fighters.

I'm a part time bouncer right now, so I think this would also be a great addition to what I'm doing at night. I know one day being able to just street scrap is going to catch up with me. It'll help to know how to stick and move.

4. Titus

Titus New Member

is that the place off racetrack? if it is i've heard of it before... you should love it man.

5. FrankieSixxxgun

Yeah, almost across the street from The Round Up and kinda by The Cracker Barrel. I've heard good things about the place too. I'll post back and let you guys know how it is once I start.

Hey, with amateur boxing, you're in full head gear, right? How much does that diffuse blows to your cheeks and such? I broke my right eye orbit when I was younger, and I'm mildly concerned about taking blows to the face in that area.

6. Titus

Titus New Member

Yea you're in full head gear for fights. You're still gonna feel punches with it on though, but it should protect your eye pretty well. Are you planning on competing eventually? Or just sparring and stuff?

7. FrankieSixxxgun

Great! I broke the orbit when I was 13, so it's had plenty of time to heal and harden. I have a pretty healthy diet, so I'd imagine that my bones are strong. The head gear should diffuse the blows enough to where I don't rebreak my face.

I think it'd be great to do some amateur fights for the gym, though I doubt I'd ever make it pro. I'm 25, so I'm probably too old to start a pro boxing career, but I'd love to actually go a few rounds in the amateur ring. It's just one of those things I want to do before I die, you know?

8. Titus

Titus New Member

i totally understand that. good luck with everything there, let me know how it goes. how much are they chargin ya?

9. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

The cardio done in these gyms is pretty rough itll take a little while to get used to that. Oh yeah you probably know your body well enough to know the difference between injury and normal pain just rethink it a little bit if you do heavy sparring youll be a different sort of sore from normal big weights session sore.

10. FrankieSixxxgun

Yeah, I figured the cardio exercises are gonna be killer, and that'll probably be the worst of it. I guess the bruised and beaten sore'll be a little different than the torn muscle sore too.

Joshy, they're at $15 a week I believe if you go weekly. They cut deals for longer term contracts like most gyms.

11. FrankieSixxxgun

Well, I'm stopping in today on my way home to sign up. Wish me luck!