A&P I spent the last ~10 days or so shooting with a D700 as a Canon shooter

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by CornUponCob, Mar 23, 2009.

1. CornUponCob

CornUponCob New Member

I photographed two swim meets (9 days total, roughly 10,000 pictures taken) with a friend using one of his D700s with a 300 2.8 non-VR (And the VR version, he has two) and 80-200 DG AND 70-200 VR.

The image quality on the D700 at high ISO is pretty sick. Don't even blink when shooting at ISO 6400 (and we had to sometimes as sometimes we found ourselves shooting at 1/800th 2.8 ISO 6400).

AF is great with the 300 2.8. Very average with the 70-200 or 80-200. Sometimes if it gets too "confused" it just kinda quits focusing and it's faster to release and repress the shutter instead of letting it find focus on its own again. The Non-center AF focus points work well.

The Nikon wireless file transfer works pretty well, but is a huge pain in the dick. They need to build a battery grip version for the D700 (maybe one exists, I don't know).

Everything on a Nikon is backwards and some of the controls are a little hard to get to if you have large hands (although I do like the manual controls / switches to change the most often accessed features (metering, focusing, etc).

I'll be curious to see if Canon can match Nikon with an 8 FPS FF camera with good AF performance at ~ $3000 after the cost of the grip and battery. I'm sure they can, but weather or not they will is the question. The FF DoF is sweet and 12 MP is perfect. Working with 21 MP files seems like it would get a bit clunky. I may consider the switch as I'm already considering changing my lens lineup anyway.

2. someonenew

someonenew He's Dangerous

the battery grip for the D300 fitst he D700. And is AWESOME!

3. Girth

Girth ¯\_(ツ)_/¯ OT Supporter

My name is Girth, and I approve this thread. :bigthumb:

4. White Stormy

White Stormy Take that, subspace!

every time I say that some Nikon guy argues with me and then says a Rebel is hard to use with big hands.. as if a Rebel and D300/700 are comparable, anyway. :uh: