I sold my Ninja

Discussion in 'OT Driven' started by Scout, Sep 10, 2006.

1. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

:run:

Now I have no bike. I'm keen on getting a naked, and at the moment, I'm looking into the SV650, Monster 620 and possibly the FZ-6. Or if I can find a Speed Triple, I'll highly consider those, although that's a liter bike :o
    Anyone have information and possibly first hand experience with any of these?

2. Cachee0

Cachee0 OT's Technical Recruiter, Send me your resume

SV650 hands down.

3. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

I should also ask why :o

4. machine81

machine81 New Member

I have an SV650. It's a good bike. I wish it had more power though.

What type of Ninja did you have? A 650 V-twin might leave you wanting a little more if you are used to a 636 Ninja.

5. Cachee0

for good around Town Tq, full adjustablility has everything you need lots of options for suspention (aftermarket), makes 70hp. I really like the bike my self I was considering one but got the ducati instead. Vtwins are fun. Might get one to add to to my stable soon.

6. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I'de go with the SV or FZ, both are reliable, plenty of aftermarket parts for either, if the need arises replacement parts aren't to horribly expensive. Comes down to preference twin or i4. But like Machine said you might not be happy with the power of them if your coming from a newer 6R, in which case I'de say the triple or SV1K.

7. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

Ah OK. Is that the only peeve you have with your SV?

I had a 98 Ninja. I'm not after a machine that can get to 100kms faster than the other, although I don't want a slouch that can't overtake a truck either :mamoru:

Well most riding is done on the highway, as I live outside the city. So 1/2 the trip is done on the highway, while the rest is around 60-80kms.
    Which of the bikes would be best doing these sort of speeds? I'm looking to get a fairly new model. I also believe the FZ6 has a downtuned R6 engine?

That's a main thing with the bike I'm looking for. Something that won't cost 1/2 the price of the bike to fix :o I'd just be happy with a bike that can easily cruise at 100kms+ without breaking a sweat. There's no turns I can go to, so it's all just straight road riding :hs:

I'm assuming the Monster is a no then? No one has really said anything about it :dunno:

8. Cachee0

On the highway having a full covered sport bike is perfered IMHO. But the SV would be fine.

9. machine81

machine81 New Member

The SV650 isn't a slouch. It won't have a problem passing a truck on the highway. Hell, I think the think can do 0-60mph in ~3.2-3.4 seconds and can get the quarter mile done in ~12.00 seconds.

Highway cruising on the thing isn't bad. In 6th gear at 60mph I think the tach is at about 5000rpm. It's a little buzzy at 70+mph, but nothing unbearable.

Mine is the naked, and without the windscreen after about 1/2 an hour on the highway I get tired of bucking the wind. Like Cachee alluded to, you might want to look at the SV650S or the FZ.

Finally, the only other gripe I have about the SV is that the suspension feels a little cheap. Not like the bike is gonna fall apart underneath me, but it could just soak up some of the bumps a little better. But you get what you pay for. Both the SV and FZ are entry-level bikes. They cut back on the suspension to get the bike's price down. From what I've read the Monster and Triumph are both great bikes. And at a higher price their components are gonna be better.

Last edited: Sep 11, 2006
  10. Cachee0

Yes this is what everyone is say but I rode my friends SV and it was great I did not notice the suspetion being cheap. But I don't have alot of seat time on one. But the aftermarket is full of good stuff for the SV. Again the SV is a good deal and a great bike.

11. jtl090179

jtl090179 Oh I get it, yeah. He's the girl, then you're the OT Supporter

but after a while you start noticing every bump and tar strip and notice the bounciness of the rear and front. plus you cant brake under pressure in the front, it will squat on you and you will go down

12. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

:noes:

Maybe I should look into the Monster :o

Then again, like I said, I'm not some dude looking to be the next Rossi :hsughno:

13. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Aftermarket springs and racetech valves aren't to expensive of a mod and will make a big difference.

14. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

I know the earlier 620's had problems, haven't really followed them but probably been fixed by now but something to keep in mind if your buying used. Other then that biggest concern would be replacment parts will be more pricey then any of the jap bikes, also think it makes the least power of all the bikes you mentioned. If your buying new could probably get a SV and aftermarket suspension parts for the cost of the Duc.

15. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

That's true about the last bit. I think I need to look into them more :run:

I know if I got a bike anyway I'll do stuff to it, so I think a Jap bike may be the best option :o

Unless I get teh Speed Triple :noes:

16. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

The triple looks nice, I like the triumphs, almost got the anniversry edition 955 daytona back in 02 I think it was.

17. Scout

Scout OT Supporter

I think I'll buy a litre bike if I can find one that's a good deal :o