I screwed up v. kinda format

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by lump, Sep 11, 2007.

1. lump

lump New Member

:wtc:

I was trying to do a repair windows install and I wasn't really paying attention to what I was doing and ended up having it go to format my storage drive. I realized I was a dumb ass and just quickly killed the power to the computer while it was still at 0%. When I booted it back up I saw I fucked myself.
    The main drive with the Windows install is still solid, but the other drive which had about 172 GB of stuff on it is now gone. I can do a recovery on it, but the problem lies in where do I start?

In my computer when I right click on the drive (D) to format it it says it's only a 127 GB drive when it's really 300. I'm kind of thinking running like fixmbr would fix it or something to repair the partition tables maybe would save me doing hours of file recovery?

where do I go from here to get my files back?

cliffs: started a format of wrong drive, quit the format while it was still at 0%, now I can't read drive as it's not formatted when I go to format the drive it says it's only 127 GB. Theres over 100 GB of stuff on there I'd really like to get back if possible.

2. Sexual Vanilla

Sexual Vanilla New Member

:rofl:

Unless you send your drive to a data recovery center, you're screwed.

3. Doc Brown

Doc Brown Don't make me make you my hobby

You've got nothing to lose by trying.

I would go to download.com or some such site and read trhough what each recovery app says it can do. One of them can probably fix the drive.

4. lump

lump New Member

Thursday I'm going to go ahead and make an image of the drive and mess with that. Recovering the files won't be a problem for me it's the drive being split up weird that bothers me.

After the image is made I figure I'll format and repartition it to get all the size back and then restore the files back.

5. lump

lump New Member

I was able to recover everything and then some. I had to limit what all I recovered down to about 200 GB to fit it onto another drive.

Even files I had deleted a long, long time ago, a format and some rewriting ago. The bad part is a good chunk of those files are corrupted, the really old ones and those that are <a week old. Most of my movies took a big hit, they are still 4-8 GB in size, and they are the ones that all got corrupted. None of them are actual movie, most don't even open, others contain parts to songs before playing corruption sound that sucks.

:hs:
    oh well.

6. lump

lump New Member

08-Fort-Minor Back Home - fuck song live about half way through then goes to Richard Cheese - Ice Ice Baby then to Jacks Mannequin - Mixed Tape, 2 seconds of Fort Minor. Abrupt end.
    all for one file.
    Kind of amusing. :hs: