I saw the Sun BlackBox

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Peyomp, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

I saw the Sun BlackBox. I had flashbacks to unloading floor loaded ocean containers one summer 5 years ago. It got up to... 135F up top of those fuckers.

Anyway, it was neat.

2. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

I've only ever seen pics. It's a cool idea though, I bet the military owns a few of those stashed somewhere where nukes can't reach.

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

They talked about the military. They said they have their own shit, far tougher and superior to the BlackBox. The guy giving the presentation said his first service call at Sun was 'How to get a Sparc 20 to run in an Apache helicopter.'

The floor is on spring shocks though, which is neat. Can sustain a 6 inch fall and not exceed 9Gs.

They were neat, but it doesn't really affect me, since I don't do data centers. They have other cool things at the user's group though, like a session on "How to use DTrace," and other stuff like that.

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Heh...SMS has a spring-suspended server room inside a cargo trailer, DOD has a spring-suspended military base inside a hollow mountain. Yeah, I guess the DOD's got 'em beat.

5. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Well, supposedly DoD has mobile data centers that are tougher, and more badass in general than the blackbox, for nearer to combat. Much more expensive. The Blackbox starts at $300K-400K empty. The DoD one would be much more expensive, and capable of operating while moving, etc.

6. RiSk

RiSk New Member

I dont really forsee the SMS BlackBox taking out datacenters, but eh maybe one day the world will all have blackboxes instead of large 100k sq foot dc's