I saw a 13w7 blow yesterday.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ledzep73, May 7, 2005.

1. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I went up to Ovation, the one of the local audio shops, to get a dash kit for my *new* car, and my buddy Bill was doing a demo of a 13w7. They use a 500/1 to power their demo subs so they don't blow the lower-end subs with a 1000/1, and he turned it up really loud to show the guy that a w7 can really slam, and it just died. Amp clipping > your soul. The guy still bought two 13w7's, and two 1000/1's. I was amazed. The reasoning was that 500 watts will blow it, but 1000 won't, and I guess its kinda right.
    Two pairs of boston Z's and two 300/2's also went into his little BMW, rich bastard.

2. Ronin

Ronin Guest

13 w7s are over rated and getting 2 of them isnt going to make much more of a difference than a placebo medication would.

3. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

You "guess" it's kinda right? If the speaker was destroyed by clipping (highly likely) then it is absolutely right. Those people are stupid to use the reasoning that with less power they are less likely to blow their subs. If they want to prevent customers from damaging lower-powered speakers then they can put in a resistor or something inline with those subs, or other various methods.

The guy must have known something about amps, which would be why he still bought it. Makes sense to me. Sounds like has a nice setup in his bimmer, although I don't know why anyone needs 2 13w7's in a non-sql competition car.

4. veonake

What? Doubling the effective cone area won't have any effect man? More air being pushed = more volume. Adding an identical sub and an identical amplifier should give either a 3dB or 6dB gain (I can't remember which). It's not a lot, but it will certainly be noticeable. I'm pretty sure w7's are underrated actually and can handle a fair amount more than the recommended power (which I believe is 1000 watts). That's what I've heard anyways. Hooking up 500 watts to a 1000 watt sub and playing it to it's limits is a recipe for disaster.

5. Ronin

Ronin Guest

i know the DB gain, i dont think thats very much for about 1000+ dollars.

And I've seen W7s doing about 2000 watts, its pretty crazy.

6. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Well I knew it was right, that was just the way I put it :hs: Dang.

I think you're right, they should just use a resistor, but hey. They don't.

No one needs a w7, or Boston Z's, but they are fun to have and brag about. The same reason he bought a beamer, Im sure. It was to look cool.

7. Ronin

Ronin Guest

If you're talking in general there are valid reasons to have a BMW

8. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

They are nice cars, but he was like 25, wearing some stupid silky shirt, fancy watch, just trying to look special, flashing around all his money. I like M-series, don't get me wrong, but around here they are just to show that you have money, just like a Mercedes.

9. Ronin

Ronin Guest

the M series handlobraes :x:

10. veonake

BMW is one of my favorite non-supercar brands, along with Porsche so you're going to make me defensive :noes: . Mercedes is not the same as BMW. BMW is a driver's machine, Benz is a luxury car. There are many more reasons to buy a bimmer than the chick-magnet qualities. I want an M3 because they are amazing machines, not because I will look cool in one. If he is living within his means, I see nothing wrong with owning one at that age.

11. veonake

Sorry to jump on you.

12. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

our demo board has a switcher... so we can choose the right amp to demo, for each of the subs we are showing to the customers. :mamoru:
    poor planning of the shop design>that poor defenseless sub

13. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

I think its the silk shirt that made me think less of him. A silk shirt man... a silk shirt. And around here cars are more of a status symbol than anything. M3's are fucking sick, but not when you are wearing a silk shirt. I would be a hick and take a Trans Am over an M3 anyday. WS6's are just pure sex if you ask me, to get a 'new' one would probally kill me.

14. veonake

I truly mean no offense in this man (really), but that post shows your age.

15. XR250rdr

XR250rdr OT Supporter

Resistor?? :rofl: Anyone here ever actually seen a resistor rated for 1kW+? let alone one in an audio install? And dont show me that impedance adjustment resistor that I think PG used to make, that wasnt a power limiter.

I highly doubt even a fully clipped 500/1 could kill a good condition 13W7 in a short period of time, heck I doubt it could do it at all. That sub already had something wrong with it.

16. delussional77

delussional77 Active Member

x2 on the last post, there is NO way that a 500/1 (even if it's in full clip) could blow that 13w7. Something was already wrong with it.

17. veonake

You don't need a 1kW resistor to pad down a 1kW device ass. Ever heard of an l-pad? Man, even if I was completely wrong, you don't need to be a dick about it.

Why do you doubt it could kill it? You obviously have a sea of knowledge at your disposal, so inform us of why it could not.

18. Ronin

Ronin Guest

if it wouldnt kill the sub it would probably kill itself from clipping in the long run, wouldnt it?

19. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

If you would have seen him, you would agree completly. And if you really think that the interweb is a good representation of who I am, I will just sit here and chuckle a little bit.

20. Ronin

Ronin Guest

why dont u go to another shitty concert u POS zep fan!! go do some heroin while ur at it in vw bus 2!

:noes:

:hug:

21. veonake

The amp kill itself? No, I don't think so. I'm pretty sure an amp is not damaged as a result of clipping, 04 can correct me on that if I am wrong. I think he would know.

22. veonake

See, you took offense anyways. Sure, you can be anyone who you want to be on the internet, but that is still a representation of yourself. If you are the person capable of being a completely different person online, that also says something about you. There is no way around it. And you can't say I would agree completely, you don't know me. Not everyone thinks the same way or has the same attitudes. Don't get defensive man, I have no problem with you. Not to mention I was drunk when I wrote that post.

23. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Haha, don't worry, I still love you. You're right, I can't say you would agree completely, but you would at least understand what I mean. I wasn't really offended anywho, you had just said that in a very condencending way, so it made me think more along of 'Wow, that dudes being a prick" than anything. But like I said, I still love you. ;)

24. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i know you don't like me, and/or don't like to listen to me but... at the shop i've seen both bad amps kill headunits and/or speakers, and i've seen bad speakers kill amps. :dunno: plus i'd stay away from jl audio amps... just my personal expirence.

25. ledzep73

ledzep73 New Member

Why stay away from JL Amps? I think they are pretty good. I need an amp to push 500 [email protected], and the 500/1 does that perfect.