I, Robot: Movie vs. Book

Discussion in 'Entertainment' started by Joe_Cool, Feb 18, 2004.

1. Joe_Cool

Joe_Cool Never trust a woman or a government. Moderator

I was reading a little bit of stuff about the new film version of I, Robot and I'm a little confused. Will Smith is a detective investigating a murder supposedly committed by a robot, which has major implications in a society saturated with robot servants and helpers. After all, if one robot can violate the first law, then can't any of the rest of them? The ultra-hot Bridget Moynahan is Dr. Calvin.

The thing is, I don't remember anything like this in the book, which is a collection of short stories. Is this supposed to be a story "inspired by" or "in the spirit of" I, Robot? Is it a story I just missed? Or is it one of the sequels that I haven't read yet, packaged and sold as I, Robot?

What do you guys think? Can the Fresh Prince pull off a major role in a hard sci-fi story, or are we doomed to seeing agent J meets Bad Boys in an Asimov setting?

2. anjego

anjego Invading your economy!

i know this - the movie is inspired by the series, not a re-telling of the short stories. i'm looking forward to the movie... if they do it correctly, it could be really cool.

3. Canucker

Canucker Banned

maybe they will touch upon a caliban type theming to the robot.