I redid the wiring from my subs to my amp and now it sounds like shit...wtc Help?

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by StealthMode, Feb 13, 2005.

1. StealthMode

StealthMode Active Member

Awhile back I posted about my 2 sub's wiring to my amp (two 4ohm subs wired into the bridged rear channel on my Rockford 800a4, making it a 2ohm bridged mono load) and we came to the conclusion to wire one sub off the front channel bridged, and the other sub off the rear channel bridged.
    Well I spent this afternoon redoing all that, tuning each sub so they were the same gain, bass boost, and hz wise.
    Well, she sounds like shit!! I had to turn the gain down, or the subs disort, but then they put out no volume like before, and when I crank the HU up they sound like I have the subs mounted in a 5 gallon pail... (believe me...I built a sub from a 5gal pail once :o it was an expirment when I was 15 :coolugh: ) So I kept tuning it trying to get the right balance between gain, frequency and bass boost, and no luck. It almost sounds like the ground wasn't fully grounded, but I checked it and the grounds are fine. (note - it sounded just fine before I rewired it) Or like it isn't getting enough clean power or something, I don't know. I bought 2 gold plated RCA splitters to split the sub amp RCA cable between the front and rear channel on my amp, there wasn't any other way to do it. Could that maybe be part of the problem? If I can't find a solution for this, I might as well wire them back into a 2ohm load off the rear channel and call it good. :hs:

Cliffs: Rewired my two 4ohm subs from a bridged 2ohm mono load on the rear channel (Rockford Punch 800a4) to the left sub off the front channel, and the right sub off the rear channel and it sounds like shit now. Both front and rear channel settings match. ie. Gain, frequency, and bass boost. (yes, both channels are set at low pass)
    Any suggestions?

2. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

may sound like a stoopid question, but happens often... is one sub out of phase???

3. StealthMode

I'll double check. Just in case that isn't it, what else could it be?

4. StealthMode

Alright, checked it out and the subs are wired correctly, + to +, - to -.
    Any other ideas?

5. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

did you just look at the wires, or did you actually switch one speaker's + & -???

6. StealthMode

I looked at the wires and they looked like they were connected properly for each sub, + to + and - to -. They weren't switched. Or am I missing something? :coolugh:

7. IgnitionGSR

IgnitionGSR OT Abuser

check the amp, is it + to + and - to - on the amp?

8. StealthMode

I think is is + - + - ...I should double check that...

Front is bridged, as well as the rear. The sub is connected to the opposite + and - .... (+) - + (-) (connected) I hope that makes sense.. Anyway, I will double check again tomorrow. But I am almost positive that it's wired correctly.

9. StealthMode

Alright, I figured out the problem! I finally found the manual on Rockfords site, so I looked up the 2 channel mode, and as it turns out I was wired up wrong. So I redid the wiring according to the manual and it sounds better, but not perfect yet.

Now I have the switch at 2 channel mode like the manual says, but when I flip it to 4 channel mode, the subs get louder and don't clip as much as they do in 2 channel.
    If I crank it up in 2 channel too high the subs just stop puttin out bass, like they are clipping, and/or not getting the power. Almost like the speakers can't handle it, which I know they can, they've been alot louder and the bass was a lot more intense.

So it's better, but still not right, any suggestions? Sorry if this isn't clear, if you have any questions, ask away.
    Here is a screenshot of the manual regarding two channel mode.

[​IMG]

10. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Maybe the amplifier is not as powerful or as high SQ as you expected. This would cause clipping earlier than you would hope and where it stops putting out bass at very high levels may simply be a result of the amp going into protection mode.

Also, make sure your gains are set correctly. If you had an oscilloscope this would be easy, but you can do it by ear. Turn the gains all the way down, turn the level on your head unit to about 75% of maximum while playing something like a 60Hz tone. Slowly turn the gains up until you hear the subs begin to clip and immediately rotate them back slightly and turn down the volume on the HU. They should now be set correctly.

I just saw you said you changed something about your RCA's. Put them back to how you had it before and see if it is still the same. It is very possible you are only receiving one channel of sound, hence halving the intensity. Even though the subs are obviously operating in mono, they are taking the combination of the 2 stereo channels. You can check if one is not connected by disconnecting each channel individually, leaving the other one connected, and seeing if the sound stops. It shouldn't, the sound should just decrease in intensity.

(btw, louder and more intensity are synonymous :noes: )

11. StealthMode

Hmmm, well, the amp is the same amp I was using before and she would pound my car to pieces when I was running both subs off the rear channel bridged. Course that also dropped it down to a 2ohm load which wasn't too good on the amp, but she never overheated or clipped wired that way either.
    What I changed about the RCA's is not using the splitters like I was before because that was the wrong way of doing it :p So now it is wired properly for 2 channel mode.

12. StealthMode

Hmmm, I flipped the switch from 2 channel mode to 4 channel mode and the sound is back, fuller, punchier, great volume, no clipping, sounds good again.

It is wired exactly how it states in the screenshot of the manual above except that I think it is in 4channel mode now (switch is to the left) So yea.. what gives? Could someone explain it to me?
    It works, I'm happy, but curious :big grin: