I really want to detail as my job, I dont care about money, I turned down over 32k!

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by quamen, Jan 7, 2004.

1. quamen

quamen New Member

Well, I really want to do this full time detailing business of mine. I figured this out today when i got a call. I have a 2 year degree in Criminal Justice and im going for my BA degree in Criminal Justice. I work for a company now as a undercover security, catching shoplifters. Anyways, my old company I worked for knew I was interested in this part of their corporation, but at the time didnt have a opening. I moved about 1 hour away and the money wasnt worth the commute. The position I had paid a little over 12 dollars an hour.

Anyways, the one security guy is leaving, the head guy and wanted me to get his spot since im experienced I assume. The pay is a tad of 32,000 dollars a year!!! Guess what? Im turning it down to do car detailing on how dumb that might sound. Something I have wanted to do for a very long time, as a full time "Professional" and just not friends and neighbors cars when I had off from my other job.

I know I might not make 1/2 of that my first seaon, but I have to start somewhere. I have been reading so much on this board, researching different methods, gathering information from other shops and much more. Im giving it my all to do this and hopefully the rewards will come. Either way, whenever i detail a car Ill be happy because of what im doing.

Money isnt everything, but if your happy with what your doing, to me that is more important. I get bored walking around all day sometimes, tracking register shortages and that stuff. Im good at it, but it doesnt make me nearly as happy as thorwing down a nice coat of wax.

Yes, I know I sound like a dork and turning down alot of money since im only 22 living at home. But hey, even a bad days detailing, beats a good day at work!

Rich :bowdown:

Ps: I know I ask to many questions and post alot of new threads. I try to search out all the stuff before i ask a repeat. Anyways, I really appreciate all your time and effort into answering everything as correctly as possible and all input. A special thanks goes to of coarse Scottwax for bringing his information, and once what were trial and error, now perfect combinations of products and everything else to the board! I thought i knew so much from reading, watching tapes and mastering my techniques, but I learned so much from this board. Thanks again, and a big part of my business making it will be because of the members on the board!! Keep the good job up!

2. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

I agree that money isn't everything, but make sure you can pay your bills. I worked part time as a waiter my first year of detailing, and it took me about 18 months to equal my previous income when I was a restaurant manager. Now I make quite a bit more so it all worked out.

Do what makes you happy for a living and doing it well will lead to money. Focusing only on the money won't. Words to live by.

3. quamen

quamen New Member

Yeah and I bet even before detailing you made a nice amount as a resteraunt manager. I dont have many bills since im stil living at home with rents. My car payment is done this year, so ill just have like a total of 250 a month or so in bills. I want to get another new pickup truck, so my bills woud be pushed to like 600 a month total. Before you ever leave one job, you should always have another one lined up. Before I leave, im going to just a ton of advertising and see where it gets me. If I start to get a ton of calls and there satisfied, im out. All i need to make is 10 thousand this whole summer, and i would be more then happy. I dont think that is asking for to much, do you?

4. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

What company did you work for doing LP? I do Security myself.