I really want to detail as my job, I dont care about money, I turned down over 32k!

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by quamen, Jan 7, 2004.

1. quamen

quamen New Member

Well, I really want to do this full time detailing business of mine. I figured this out today when i got a call. I have a 2 year degree in Criminal Justice and im going for my BA degree in Criminal Justice. I work for a company now as a under cover security, I catch shoplifters. Anyways, my old company I worked for knew I was interested in this part of their corporation, but at the time didnt have a opening. I moved about 1 hour away and the money wasnt worth the commute. The position I had paid a little over 12 dollars an hour.

Anyways, the one security guy is leaving, the head guy and wanted me to get his spot since im experienced I assume. The pay is a tad of 32,000 dollars a year!!! Guess what? Im turning it down to do car detailing on how that might sound. Something I have wanted to do for a very long time, as a full time "Professional" and just not friends and neighbors cars when I had off from my other job.

I know I might not make 1/2 of that my first seaon, but I have to start somewhere. I have been reading so much on this board, researching different methods, gathering information from other shops and much more. Im giving it my all to do this and hopefully the rewards will come. Either way, whenever i detail a car Ill be happy because of what im doing.

Money isnt everything, but if your happy with what your doing, to me that is more important. I get bored walking around all day sometimes, tracking register shortages and that stuff. Im good at it, but it doesnt make me nearly as happy as thorwing down a nice coat of wax.

Yes, I know I sound like a dork and turning down alot of money since im only 22 living at home. But hey, even a bad days detailing, beats a good day at work!

Rich :bowdown:

2. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

What company did you work for doing LP? I do Security myself.

3. quamen

quamen New Member

I work for a company called BonTon. It is a store similiar to Sears or Jcpenny. I get paid horrible compared to what i was making in Jersey. The company I worked for in Jersey I worked in a Tire shop as a Salesman/Installer and made damn good money while going to college. They want to hire me back for that 32 plus a yera. What kind of Security you do? Loss Prevention. What kinda stats do you pull in a month?

4. Maverick

Maverick Guest

Detailing is a "hobby". Unless you're going to find a job detailing Jay Leno's collection of cars, then stick with the security job. A job that can support a family is always higher priority than a hobby.

5. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

If thats what you want to do, go for it...:dunno:
    Not to put you down or anything, but I definately wouldnt do that for a living, but if it makes you happy, then do it. Although it would be a shame to waste that fine education of yours, I am a Criminal Justice major as well.

The world needs ditch-diggers too.

6. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

I know Bon Ton. I don't do LP, per se. I'm Security at the mall, we have Bon Ton there, too. It's The Mall at Greece Ridge Center in Rochester, NY. We get called in on shoplifters pretty often. Usually if LPs are working alone and think they might have some problems with the suspects.

7. quamen

quamen New Member

Cool. No im stil going to college and getting my BA degree. I wil become a cop one day. Right now I work LP and I make a wopping 9 dollars an hour!! Full time that is like what 12k a year!! The other security job for like 32 is over 1 hour away. I get bored walking around. Im going to become a cop for sure, but you never know. I didnt appreciate that comment about ditch diggers etc. Cause my brother does that,but just got prometed a few years back and makes over 40 dollars and hour and over 100k a year. Not bad for a ditch digger? Well actually he is behind a desk now, but still got paid well for that at PSEG.

Also i mean full time during the summer and summer. I can make that in a summer then a whole year working LP for 9 dollars and hour. Then I can attend college full tiem in the winter since i wont have to work and have the money I made from the summer.

Also one more thing to point out. I always think big alot of times. If I had a successful detail business, I could always expand and get more trucks and own a small fleet of them. I personallly know some mobile detailers not from my area thank god, that sit at home while they have 4 or more trucks going in different areas. They make well over the 6 digit range, more then most any kind of job would pay working for someone.

But finally to put it out ther, maybe you guys got confused. I want to have more time for myself, and make the money quicker so i can continue my college full time and become a cop sooner. I highly doubt this would ever turn into my real job.

8. mikdavi84

mikdavi84 OT Supporter

I think most people got confused, thinking you wanted this as a life-time career. I can see how you could turn that into a highly sucessful business. As for the ditch-digger comment, it may be 100% insensitive, but its also 100% true. Of course there is nothing saying that ditch-diggers can't be sucessful. Isn't America great?

9. quamen

quamen New Member

ok were cool then.