I really need some help with getting a cell...

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by stiffay, Oct 8, 2004.

1. stiffay

stiffay Active Member

Alright, so with a monthly income coming in I thought I would get with this century and get a cell phone.
    I live in Canada... and I would like to go with either :
    Rogers or Telus...
    Rogers uses sim cards and Telus uses gsm...
    Now my first question is :
    What is the difference between the sim cards and gsm and which is better to use and why?

Ok, I looked through this forum and I looked up some cell phones with positive input from OTers and I picked out the ones that sounded the best and looked the best to me....
    They are :
    -Nokia 3660
    -Nokia 6230
    -Nokia 7610
    -Motorola E398
    -Motorola V600
    -Motorola V810
    -Motorola E310
    -Motorola MPx200

Feel free to tell me if i'm missing some phones and some good companies that make cell phones and some good Canadian service providers because I really don't know anything about this stuff :p

OK so that brings me to my next question :
    Is it better to order your phone off of some place like e-bay? Pay the cost for the phone and just get a plan with a service provider not having to sign some 3 year contract...
    or is it better to get a phone in Canada at a cell store and get a contract making the phone cheaper?

OK then, i'll add questions if I think of any...
    Oh yes, I want my phone to have :
    -a pretty good camera
    -txt messaging
    -caller ID
    -2 lines or more
    -color screen ( a good one )
    -and it can't be toooooo expensive

Thanks OT :)

2. Pineapple Devil

Pineapple Devil beat it!

gsm is the same thing as using sim cards. they go hand in hand. as far as which provider is better, i cant say b/c i'm not in canada.

i would go to a store and sign the contract rather than buying it off ebay. you'll get a better price on the phone and better prices on plans. some companies only offer some promotions with 2 year contracts.

if you have a chance to get the nokia 6230 i'd get that or any other nokia really. i'm not to fond of motorolas but the v505 and v600 are good phones. the nokia 7610 and the 6620 are great phones with everything you are looking for in a phone too

3. zennoodle

zennoodle ...hmm must've misplaced my socks

I would easily skip the Nokia 6230 if the Sony Ericssson K700i was an option. Motorola is improving but like Pineapple Devil siad, they are iffy. The 7610 is a great phone as well. Personally I use an SE S700i...this will not be replaced for awhile.

4. stiffay

stiffay Active Member

Ok thanks, but whats wrong with the other cell phones I mentioned? What are the negatives about them?

5. zennoodle

Ask specific questions about those phones and I can do my best to answer them.

Nokias in general are like Hondas, everybody has one and they are the staple of all phone providers. If you decide to get one, get a series 60 like a 7610 or 3660. Don't get anything lower than that.

Motorola....use to have a bad name. Everybody likes the V600 and I don't blame them. Its a solid phone and that is the one I would choose out of all of them even the unlocked ones that e-merchants sell.

Since you're in Alberta, you're in a good spot for either carrier up there but I heard Rogers is the one to choose. If you're looking at the Motorola E398, look at the Sony Ericsson K700i as well. Screen quality and ease of use, I would give that to Sony Ericsson. And with SE, you can have multiple phone numbers under each heading for their phones. Anymore questions, just shoot me an email. :)

EDIT: either carrier meaning FIDO or ROGERS, don't even think about Telus!

6. stiffay

stiffay Active Member

Oh ok thanks :)
    Why not Telus? and whats so much better abouts Rogers and Fido ?

7. zennoodle

Telus is CDMA = evil.

Go with Rogers or Fido...GSM is the way to go cause if you don't like the phone you're using, you can swap out with another phone. Just pop out your sim card and you're ready to go. If you need somewhere to go to ask about phones, I know a girl who works up at the mall you can go ask. I think she works at Wireless Wave or something like that.

8. stiffay

stiffay Active Member

In Calgary? What mall... :) Isn't Rogers not GSM though? I thought you said a SIM card and and GSM are different ?

9. zennoodle

I'll have to get in contact with her and ask her which mall she works at. Rogers is GSM. sim cards go with GSM, not CDMA. :)

10. zennoodle

fido has GREAT plans and shorter contracts, per second billing, they only have coverage inside major cities.

Rogers is more expensive but more phones to chose from and nation wide coverage.

PM me for info to find my friend :)

11. Matt2000ss

Matt2000ss OT Supporter

I'm looking for a phone to replace my busted nokia 3620.. These responses helped point me at some good phones, thanks guys.