MMA I really have to stop debating TMA vs MMA

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by Optamix, Jul 31, 2007.

1. Optamix

Optamix New Member

It just makes my blood pressure go up.

They are just aggressively ignorant :o

Example of what I'm dealing with on a dsm forum.

"In fact I see that none of you mention Aikido in your background. If you ever want to boost your defensive techniques It's definately worth looking into. The most basic and elemental techniques are quite effective and as you grow into more advanced techniques you will learn ways to reverse ever more diverse situations. "

and this is in response to talking about the Human Weapon on the history channel. He wants a master of kung-fu(what he studies and teaches) to be with the 2 hosts to fight.

"Yep, thats what I want. Someone that is known to be a lethal martial artist taking on the masters they come across. This way you can see if the guys they are learning from every week are for real or not and if their styles actually work (not to mention I would like to see some good fights)."

Because we all know Kung fu whips some ass :mamoru:

" Tae Kwon Do not practical? From what I remember It was pretty straight forward and will toughen you up."

And this is my favorite in response to a post I made. :mamoru::mamoru:

"Yea we get a lot of MMA guys in our dojo most of them big muscular ex-Marine law enforcement kind of guys. I love It when they ask sensei (who is not muscular and is in fact quite small) "what if I do this move here?..." and they are on their face with their wrist and arm ligaments fully extended and making that "please don't twist any further" face before he can say "what if.."

Yea you don't see Aikido in the cage, you can't format it for the cage. And when your watered down grappling training stops working for you go ahead and hit up the TMA Jujitsu school because that's where It all came from anyway. They'll be glad make it lethal for you if you'd like."

I give up. They won't listen to reason. I'm really not being inflamatory towards the TMA's either, this is a response that I made.

"
    Originally Posted by TEC
    So MMA training is better than any other form of martial arts?

Not at all, it depends on what you want to get out of it.

MMA isn't going to offer any history or tradition. You aren't going to learn how to use weapons or defend against them. It isn't going to teach the discipline and structure inherent to TMA's.

MMA is something that many people wouldn't enjoy. Its very hard, very intense, and its goal is very focused. People that aren't looking to be near as focused on the actual fighting are better served to do something that they enjoy more.

I have mad respect for a master in any art. But I understand that it is a /ART/. Someone that is very skilled at Kung-fu or other TMAs are fun to watch, to see the fluidity of the movements. Or when you watch Tae Kwon Do masters watching the aerial acrobatics.

But when pure effectiveness is a fight gets brought up, I will always side with the pure combat arts(BJJ, wrestling, boxing and kickboxing(both western and Thai boxing)).

Of all the TMA's I would pick Judo as the most effective. Its been proven by many people(Karo, Yoshida, Nakumura, Nastula, and recently Manny) to be very effective in a pure combat situation.

Those judoka's are sick. And I'm finding that many judo schools that are geared towards actual combat are integrating more BJJ into their grappling than traditional jiu jitsu.

I hope that cleared up how I feel. I don't hate TMA's. I don't disrespect them. But for pure combat I feel that MMA is the best.

And I've seen both sides of it. I practiced Tae Kwon Do for 7 years. I taught it and competed actively in it. It was a waste of time. Had I been doing Thai boxing for that time I would be much further in my MMA career.

2. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

The general public are ignorant but be aware on alot of other subjects you are the general public... Its best to walk away slowly and not make eye contact.

3. Optamix

Optamix New Member

I know everything :squint:

4. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

But it's just so damn fun.

5. Optamix

Optamix New Member

The Kung Fu guy told me that lots of MMA guys have been coming in to challenge his Sifu(trainer I assume?) to fights and have been losing and leaving humbled.

I don't believe him.

6. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

7. TigreTek

TigreTek omega member OT Supporter

traditional martial arts.

8. FloppyCock

FloppyCock New Member

Two things:

1) Any dumbass who watches UFC would be labeled as an "MMA guy" by somebody trying to prove a point.
    2) Don't underestimate the death touch. That shit is hardcore.

9. SCirone

SCirone Moderator

Nigga can kill you with his thumb

10. raxton

raxton .

mma for fun and a gun for the run.

11. smell my finger

smell my finger strive nonetheless towards beauty and truth,

the trainers at my 'mma' gym are refered to as 'sifu xxxx'

12. MyLittleAirport

MyLittleAirport OT Supporter

jkd gym?

13. 2ofdem

2ofdem OT Supporter

:eek3: I apologise.

14. sandwichaction

sandwichaction New Member

What do you mean by training MMA? Cross-training?

15. xrukus07x

xrukus07x Active Member

5 finger palm heart exploding technique!:eek3:

16. Optamix

Optamix New Member

Its typically understood that most of the time when you talk about MMA your talking about wrestling, BJJ/submissions grappling, MT, and possibly judo. But yea, cross training these.

17. this reminds me of the time me and chechen flamed the crap out of the relic forums and then their IRC chat, because they had a bunch of ninja masters that broke people's arms in .2 seconds.

18. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

tma mma its all the same crap. same kicks same punches same submitions

19. Savage5point0

Savage5point0 Im an asshole.

If you dont train and drill against a live, resisting opponent with 100% (or close to it) force you cannot easily and effectively translate your training to real world applications. I think this is where many of the TMA's fall short.

20. miek

miek New Member

:rofl: link to these forums?

21. CxRxAxNxK

CxRxAxNxK New Member

TMA is great. MMA is great...Why cant people just relax about this shit?

Its all about what you want. There are some Kung Fu schools that can teach you to fight pretty well...And there are some shitty MMA/Grappling classes I have seen personally. I dont know man...To each his own...People should just let their skills do the talking.

22. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

I prefer ATM

23. The Ripper

The Ripper New Member

yeah pretty much the problem is alot of people associate tma with the karate marts but right now the same thing is happening with mma. you have alot of those mma marts popping up around

alot of mma guys dont even do that

24. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

25. chechen

chechen Brazilian Jiu Jitsu OT Supporter

see listen to the way these guys would talk:

"In my experience, karate is a high-impact sport, involving little in the way of useful biomechanical knowledge. I haven't met any karate students who could punch in a way that would not get their hand broken if I walked into it, and the various counters all seem to involve deliberately trying to break yourself.

I study and teach European martial arts, focusing on Liechtenauer's Kust des Langenschwert, and personally I think that the German ringen (unarmed combat) techniques are far more effective than any Asian martial art I've seen, on the basis of anecdotal evidence. I don't doubt that proper living-tradition Asian martial arts are very effective, and incorporate proper concepts of distance, timing, biomechanics, footwork, etc; but the modern combat sports like karate and taekwondo seem to generally be very poor at these things, and I am highly skeptical of their use as actual martial arts that would work outside a dojo."