I really hate how MOST movies have an incredible lack of low frequency effects

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by 04, Aug 21, 2003.

1. 04

04 Guest

If anyone here has LOTR or Starwars Ep. 2 they know what I mean. These movies are LOADED with tons of bass, in otherwords, the LFE channel is well used.

However, 90% of the movies I own have a shitty LFE track. I mean how hard would it be for the producers to throw a little 20hz rumble in there?

I realize many of you could really care less, but considering I have spent over 800 dollars on my subwoofer system, and it can reproduce Dolby reference levels from 20hz on up, it makes me mad that it doesnt get used as much as I would like it to. I personally think it brings me closer to "being there" when my chair and clothing is vibrating from massive amounts of subsonic waves.

What do my fellow audiophiles think? :o

2. 04

04 Guest

:bigthumb: It makes me mad that I pay between 10 and 20 dollars for a movie I will only watch a few times and the audio is :greddy:

If they are worried people's systems can't keep up, they DO have dynamic range compression, and you CAN adjust the level of output, the sub is calibrated 10dB above all channels anyways, so you would still be flat if you reduced by 10dB.

I think it is just studio lazyness. I mean I will give George Lucas one thing, he makes sure the soundtrack is all good.

3. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Not many people have subs nor do they care for what subs can provide.

4. jaydub

jaydub Every calling is great when greatly pursued.

I don't even have a subwoofer at home. :rofl:

5. landonhodges

landonhodges Guest

rumble DEEEEZ NUTZZ

6. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

I like the rumbling. Makes it realer.

7. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

Rumble is poo.

8. 04

04 Guest

That is very true, but the DVD was designed as a "audiophile/videophile" product where its buyers would demand the best sound and picture quality available at the time. Then unfortunatly the average consumer started buying them, and I suppose the studios decided that it didnt matter what kind of bass track the movie had if it wasnt an action film :mad:

I realize that many people dont care, but for those that do, why couldnt the producers spend a bit more time to make it more enjoyable for us? :dunno:

9. 04

04 Guest

Do you have a home theater?

10. Werdness to the Turdness

Werdness to the Turdness RIP Penguins OT Supporter

band of brothers has awesome bass. my whole room rumbles when those shells are going off or when panzners roll thru the forrest :bigthumb:

11. twistid

twistid Banged By Super Models Moderator

i love being knocked out of my seat during an splodin, but sadly it does not happen often. :o

12. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

Well, thats probibly becuase most panzy ass idiots with a "home theater" have the $5 15watt sub from their HTIAB setup they got at Wal-Mart last week to watch their full frame DVD's on.

And lord knows if they watched a movie that blew their speakers (lord knows they will crank that sub up to all the way to get that extra ricey bass head effect of clipping [read:mad bass y0), they would piss and moan about how the movie blew up their DVD player, while they drank their Coors Lite.

BTW, dont forget the opening scene of Toy Story 2 either. Great LFE.

As of now though, my two favorite LFE tests are the opening of SW:EP2, and the foyer explosion in the 5th Element Superbit, in the main fight against the Mangalores.

13. thewise1

thewise1 Guest

I think that adds a lot to the movie. The problem is a large portion of society lives in condos, apartments, etc, and if they have any bass whatsoever the neighbors will have them reported so fast they won't have time to turn it down.

14. jinushaun

jinushaun New Member

Oh man! Homan's dad is a audio-videophile! :eek: :bowdown:

15. twistid

it's coors light :o

16. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

We should get along good with Homan at the meet then. :bigthumb:

17. BlackWRX

BlackWRX New Member

18. Buck-O

Buck-O Guest

No, its piss in a can. :o

Get it right.

19. 04

04 Guest

VERY good point as well. It is for this reason that I hope to NEVER live in an apartment, and only live in houses with the walls quite far away from the neighboors.

20. Ziggy!Talon

Ziggy!Talon Guest

i have a pretty decent sub setup in my home theater too, the lack of LFE in movies doesnt bother me all that much...i just like knowing that, no matter how loud i have it turned up, if there is a bass heavy part my system is gonna reproduce it beautifully, without a sweat :)

21. 04

04 Guest

Also the RPG scene on Ronin is pretty good

22. HisXLNC

HisXLNC ๑۩۞۩๑ Hot ๑۩۞۩๑

I have no neighbors. I can do whatever the fuck I want short of launching a rocket. :cool:

23. thewise1

thewise1 Guest

Hoping to be in a house within ~6 months :x:

24. twistid

:o

[​IMG]

25. 04

04 Guest

:hs:

You have a good situation then. My room is a good 50 feet from the neighboors, so I can pretty much crank it up as loud as I want, and while you can definatly hear it outside, with the fence and their house walls, I doubt they can hear anything.