A&P i really dig this 'geotagging' stuff for some reason

Discussion in 'Lifestyle' started by ace3, Oct 25, 2007.

1. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

i bought one of these $110 Sony GPS-CS1 gps data loggers ... it comes with software that takes the log file out of the gps, looks in a folder for JPGs, compares the times (your camera & the GPS need to be set to the same time), and geocodes the gps position into the EXIF. It's pretty pimp.

It takes no longer than it does to pull the images off your card (which you don't even have to do if you don't want to.

it's this unit ... runs all day on one AA:
    http://www.amazon.com/Sony-GPSCS1KA...0?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1193348181&sr=8-1

then you get something like this:
    [​IMG]

zoom in on Omaha, and i see my geotagged pictures from my drive from my house to the office today.
    [​IMG]

2. Trlstyle

Trlstyle New Member

now where do you keep this thing? how is it attached to the camera?

3. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

it's not attached to the camera. it's got a caribiner attached to it, so you can clip it to your belt/bag/etc.

check out some of the pics ... it's really pretty neat and actually kinda fun
    [​IMG]

4. redna

redna New Member

I'm guessing that it doesnt have to be attached to the camera electronically. It just has to be along with you for the ride. When you're done with your shoot and you are loading all your pics onto the computer, it goes back and takes it's coordinates from the same time that the picture was taken (according to EXIF) and places a geotag on it for the corresponding time and it's location.

The only problem with that is that you could take your camera out to do a shoot, and leave your GPS at home and it would geotag all your pictures as being taken at home when in fact they were taken in some other location.... If I'm understanding this correctly.

Likewise, you could throw off other people by having someone take your GPS with them to work one day and go out and take pictures and then you'd be all fucked up on where the pictures were actually taken.

5. kristin

kristin my dog > *

On your end, can you get then click on the 1 or 2 and see what the picture is?

6. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

:rofl:

technically, yes.

but, it's not that powerful of a unit, so it's not going to work indoors. so, no need to worry about that.

i travel pretty often, and just though it would at least be pretty cool to have gps coordinates for where i've been. and since it only takes a AA and has storage for something like 12 weeks of data (being on 24 hours a day), it should work okay.

when you plug it in, it's recognized as essentially a memory stick with a .log file in it. you run the sony software, import the log, tell it where the pics are, and then run it. it'll create copies or import the new exif info into the current pics. that's it. upload to flickr, and it automagically finds the gps coordinates.

the test is going to be if i can take a RAW image, put it on my computer, screw around with it in LR, create a JPG, and see if the program will know that jpg was taken 4 days ago at X:XX.

i would imagine "date taken" (or something similar) is in the exif. :dunno:

7. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

yep!

8. Xtreme2k2

Xtreme2k2 GTI Crew ಠ_ಠ OT Supporter

thats pretty sweet

9. N-Word-Jim

N-Word-Jim Cure for boredom

I'm planning on using it as my alibi for a murder.

10. keroberos

keroberos OT Supporter

man this would realy be cool for me, i travel all over eastern pa and i often stop and take pics, be nice to remember where i went.

11. wisie

wisie New Member

Interesting, I was considering the GiSTEQ which is a similar thing http://www.gisteq.com/

Might consider a Sony now.. Thanks for sharing

12. BeachBoy

BeachBoy New Member

wow, I want one.

altough reviews seems to say it looses signal easily when in a city, and battery dies fast.

any other competing brands/models so I can shop a little?

13. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

the only real downside with the sony for me is that it won't do shit with RAW files.

so, my plan of attack is this:

- shoot in raw
    - pretend like i know what i'm doing with photos in LR/PS
    - export to JPG
    - run GPS photo software
    - re-save JPG with updated XIF
    - upload to flickr

14. ace3

ace3 mouthify my wang.

this one was really the only other one that i was debating over:
    http://www.amazon.com/DG100-Logger-USGlobalSat-Google-Integration/dp/B000OLAEHO

it got some good reviews, but i liked the form factor (and name brand) of the sony much more.

i've left mine on for a few hours once, and it only lost connection when i was in my house/garage.

it might not have been exact when i drove downtown & was inbetween large buildings, but i'm not terribly worried about it being 100% accurate.