GUN I realized it was time to clean the 1911...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by copperhead035, Feb 6, 2008.

1. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

When the slide wouldn't go all the way forward on its own anymore. Kinda sucks having to push it manually after every round :rofl:

Even with it that dirty, I still shot better with it than my XD SC :mamoru:

2. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

I've run about 1,500 rounds through it since I bought it, and this was the first time I ever field stripped it. Now its SMOOTH.

3. Tdizzle

Tdizzle New Member

It will shoot even better if you clean it regularly

4. AustinL911

AustinL911 Illudium Q-36 Explosive Space Modulator

Cleaning? What's that?

5. soccaian

soccaian New Member

:werd:

i got bored and finally cleaned my P228 the other night

my Oly AR is going on about 600 rounds without a fair cleaning :o

6. RyeLou

RyeLou OT Supporter

I ran out of shit to do earlier so I cleaned my CZ 75 SP01 and two 12 gauge shotguns.

7. TL1000RSquid

TL1000RSquid ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Mine starts running shitty after less rounds then that, I'm hoping once i put all new springs in it, it might run a bit better :hs:

8. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

It was still more accurate than I am. I've got nothing bad to say about my Rock Island, it's a trooper. I still need to get my CCW so I can start carrying it.

9. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

they are great guns, I love mine. :bigthumb: even with all the wilson combat stuff in it.

10. Dumbstixlars

Dumbstixlars Ron Paul/AR-15/Glock/old car/Scooby/R/C croo OT Supporter

Pics?

11. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

After my animal development exam tomorrow I'll try and remember, still nothing to special to look at, but hey I'll have nothing better to do

12. xpinchx

xpinchx hes got a nice cock, on the thin side but its stil

I got physiology II tomorrow (later today) and calc II on friday. :wtc: Then micro biology first thing on monday. I predict very little sleep in the next 7 days. :hs:

13. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

my girl has micro today, but for some reason she us still asleep :squint:

14. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Like I promised pictures, I love the look of the stainless on the stock RIA finish.

Side view, you can clearly see the new beavertail grip safety (no fitting need for proper functioning), commander style hammer, competition match trigger (I love being able to reduce trigger travel, it now only pulls enough to reliably trip the sear an no further), the tactical thumb safety (not hard at all to fit and much more positive feeling to the safety) as well as the extended slide release (mainly for the woman, her smaller hands couldn't quite work the release, though I must admit it is nice. I had to file the top of the stock grips slightly to get the clearance for it, but you can't see any damage to the oil finish)

[​IMG]

Shot two is just a rear look at commander hammer and new beavertail

[​IMG]

Just a shot of slide and barrel, I polished the barrel when the stock finish started wearing off the barrel. one other mod you can't see is I got a trigger track stone and some files and smoothed track for the trigger, so now it pull a bit smoother.

[​IMG]

Finally the stock parts, since you can't all the work done. Disconnector, Sear, Mainspring, Sear Spring, hammer assembly (damn pin is welded to connect the hammer and hammer strut.), slide release, grip safety and thumb safety.

[​IMG]

I've probably spent at least 2/3's of the purchase price on upgrades for this gun, I guess there is no such thing as a cheap 1911 :mamoru:

15. Dumbstixlars

Did you swap all those parts out yourself?

16. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

Yes I did, none of them required fitting to function properly except for the thumb safety and that was easy to do as long as you take your time, everything else it was just like a tear down for a good cleaning and then reassemble. I got lucky in some places like the grip safety, but hey I like what it has done to the gun.

17. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

How did you polish the barrel? The finish on mine is wearing off too, and I had no idea what to do about it.

Also, it may be a good thing I don't have CCW yet. I just busted my ass sliding down the icy stairs on my front porch, that would have hurt like hell had I landed on a gun.

18. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

polishing the barrel was more of a bitch than I thought it would be. Mainly because outside of the barrel was nowhere near smoother, but the OEM finish hid it. (in fact mine still isn't perfect, but most of the spots it really shows you can't see unless it is torn down.) Also after a a few more rounds there start to me "hazy" areas near the front of the barrel where it constantly makes contact with the slide and brushing. As for the actual polishing, I started by stripping all the finish with a higher grit sand paper (I recommend doing it by hand and not power tool) and sanded until it appeared smooth (though I had to fix areas later because they weren't). Then I switched to finer and finer sand paper (2 or 3 times) and then I changed to steel wool going finer and finer again. At each step finer I went I checked to see if there was anything not smooth, if there was I hit that spot with a rougher paper and worked my way back. Finally I broke out a Dremel and polishing compound and worked that over the who barrel, occasionally cleaning the compound off to see if the barrel was shiny enough for me yet or if there were spots that need more sanding to level out. While I had the Dremel out I went ahead and polished the feed ramp.

Its relatively mindless work, I did it sitting in front of a TV show.

19. Dumbstixlars

Looks good DWI.

20. copperhead035

copperhead035 New Member

Did you do the entire barrel, or just that section that's exposed on top?

21. [DWI]

[DWI] Master of Nothing

I actually did the whole thing, mainly because the barrel was getting worn finish in the area exposed when the slide locks back. You could actually get away with doing the front and the back of the barrel, there are some small spots I didn't get around the barrel link.

Plus if I get a criminal with ADHD maybe the shiny barrel will distract him.