I-ram solid state harddrive

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Perkwunos, Aug 19, 2006.

1. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Little expensive...I found a 1GB removable Flash Drive (USB) for ~$80 and I could take it with me.

3. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Whats the point, to put your OS partition on here so you have quick loading NVRAM (basically) to boot?

4. dew

dew Banned

im considering using it for boot with 4gbs

5. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Not worth the money. There are plenty of reviews of it out there including a few for a company that builds high-end game PC's that boot from it. The boot time compared to a good RAID setup just isn't good enough to justify the cost of the device + RAM for it. Plus great, you spent $700 so your machine boots really fast. So, now what? Once booted it will not run much faster than a machine with a good RAID setup and plenty of RAM, plus you have to deal with a 4 Gig C: drive trying to fill up with crap the programs try to throw into windows and system32 directories.

I look into that very card when I was getting the parts up for my dual/dual and it just didn't make the cut.

The only time this might be really useful is if you are absolutly running out of RAM and you cannot add more to the system and you can't/won't upgrade the MB to allow you to add more. Then you could put up to a 4 gig page file on it and get pretty good performance out of it. Since you would have to buy the extra RAM anyway the added cost is just the card.

6. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

If it were big enough, you could use this as your swap partition in Linux. That would increase performance a bit, right? Not as much as more RAM though eh?

Last edited: Aug 20, 2006
  7. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Wouldn't there be a problem with the pagefile getting deleted when the backup battery runs down? I know the data in the pagefile isn't important, but wouldn't the OS complain about its pagefile being gone, or would it just make a new one without making a fuss?

8. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

It would just rebuild it on boot. Better yet just tell the OS to clear it at shutdown to avoid the issue all together. Now if it vanished while the system was running for some reason, that would be a totally different story (it would BSOD instantly).

9. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Yes it would, but then again it would be cheaper to put the RAM in as, well, RAM, if you have room to add more. If not, then it becomes more practicle to do use something like this.

10. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

:down:

boot it when need be, then use sleep. basically the same idea - everything is in memory, except in sleep it it all configured and set up from your last reboot

11. deusexaethera

In Windows, this is called Hibernate. Unfortunately, hibernating won't keep the RAMDrive from draining its backup battery while it's sitting in the trunk of my car.

12. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Dude, how often do you sit a computer in the back of your car for long periods, and why the fuck would NVRAM need to account for that situation?

God dammit I miss jolly.

13. deusexaethera

Every time I move.

I was making the point that the RAMDrive being discussed here would still drain its battery dry -- and lose all data stored in it, as a result -- if the computer is unplugged for more than a few hours, and it doesn't matter whether the computer is shut down or hibernating.

14. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Actually Windows uses both Standby (sleep) and Hibernate. Standby is a APCI function that suspends the CPU but leaves everything in RAM, with the memory powered. Hibernate dumps memory to a file and completely shuts the PC down. Standby boots up faster but drains power if you use it on a laptop.

15. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

These devices don't use NVRAM, they use standard system memory DIMMS.

16. Peyomp

Peyomp New Member

Yeah, I know. But I'm used to referring to it as NVRAM, as in my industry battery backed ram is called NVRAM, even though its not technically.

17. plat

plat New Member

i think it would be a good idea for a swap file

however this product using SATA to transfer seems pretty lame to me..

i'd like to see one that uses a like a 4x PCI-Express bus.

18. EkriirkE

EkriirkE Zika Xenu OT Supporter

um. no. hibernate saves ram to your disk and allows all power to be removed. sleep is where everything is still memory-resident and there is minimal power used

where this ram card will lose memory if the power to refresh it is lost. similarty?

19. deusexaethera

I guess I misunderstood what you were talking about. I never used the Sleep setting on my computers -- only Hibernate, once it became available.

20. dorkultra

dorkultra OT's resident crohns dude OT Supporter

this would be really awesome for making a totally silent pc

thats about it

21. reverse

reverse hooooooooo

I've been using Cenatek's version (Rocketdrive) for about 3 years now, mainly for databases... Anytime you need to locate something where data is not sequential, these things will spank the shit out of a disk anyday. It's not always about boottime. Altho, they ran $4k when originally purchased :o

22. Perkwunos

Perkwunos Dog Bones OT Supporter

23. deusexaethera

I've seen that video before myself. As long as everything involved with bootup is all stored on the RAMDrive card, I suppose that's what you'll get. If a traditional hard drive has to be accessed at all, though, it will slow right down. And unless you're willing to trust your "Documents and Settings" folder to a bunch of RAM with a small battery backup, then a traditional hard drive will have to be accessed during bootup.

24. EvilSS

EvilSS New Member

Meh, when you get past post that's about 7 seconds faster than my current box, with no RAID, on boot. That's almost $100 per second. No thanks.

And if you only had a 4 gig hard drive and the indexing service turned on you could do really fast finds too. Not that fast, sure, but close enough you probably wouldn't care.

25. deusexaethera

From what I can see, the Windows Indexing Service sucks. It only indexes files that it can read (of course), but it doesn't seem to have the ability to use plugins to read files it wasn't programmed for. All my PDFs are a mystery to it, and that is what I could really use the Index for.

The Google Desktop Search, however, does a great job but it eats up ridiculous amounts of CPU power. Why the hell can't I get a free lunch, anyway?