SRS I quit smoking after 2 years, ask me about it...

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by about:blank, Nov 27, 2005.

1. about:blank

about:blank Whether you think that you can or that you can't,

If you learn the expression "business is business" you will know never to mix emotions in business and use your head not your feelings.

The same concept can be applied to smoking. Smoking became a liability when it took time, money and health while providing absolutely no benefit. I started finding it disgusting, and decided to give up on smoking. I simply stopped. I had my craving here and there but I just stayed focused on important things.

It's 3 months later now. I have not picked up the habbit, I haven't relapsed. I won't lie to you, I have smoked 1 or 2 cigs in those 3 months. I did this merely as a test of self control. I did not enjoy it and was thankful I had dropped this annoyingly retarded habbit. I currently have no addiction to nicotine and don't intend to in the future.

If you're trying to quit, make sure you WANT to quit, thinking you SHOULD quit is not enough. If you WANT to continue smoking, then please by all means do so you will not be able to quit smoking. Adapting a business sense to this will rewrite the idiology and your only choice will be to quit.

2. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Well, that's good for you that you quit ... mostly. However, for an addict, smoking 1 or 2 cig's is a relapse. The time you have off cigarettes is really just the time it's been since you had your last cigarette, I wouldn't call it 3 months.

3. apman0000

apman0000 OT Supporter

yep, if you cheat and have a smoke you no longer have quit smoking, you are just smoking less. you can only count time since the last. I quit 4 years ago and have had 0 cigs in that time, still crave them from time to time but there ain't no way i'd smoke again, quit smoking, quit drinking hard liquor (drink beer about once every 3 months) and quit taking pain killers,,,,,,the cigs were the toughest to handle so good luck

4. about:blank

about:blank Whether you think that you can or that you can't,

I didn't even finish the cig and chucked it after a few pussy drags :hs:

I guess I have skewed views on addiction. My father use to be an alcoholic but once he kicked the habbit he no longer felt that he needed to drink as often. He still drinks occasionally, as any healthy human being would but never close to what could be considered a relapse.

My uncle on the other hand is a huge alcoholic who lost his livelyhood because of it and fails to see the fact that his obsession with alcohol is an unhealthy one.

5. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

Are you able to go out and drink alcahol without relapsing?

6. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

A true alcoholic loses the ability to moderate, ever again, according to most definitions of one. Your father was probably just a heavy drinker.

7. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

No, that's a relapse to an alcoholic/addict.

8. Swerve

Swerve OT Supporter

The subject is smoking, not drinking.

9. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Oh, I understand now. I don't have that problem because I don't drink, but that must be a difficult time for people that do drink.

10. xela

xela So say we all!

I smoked for almost 10 years and quit cold turkey two years ago this month.

11. gnat

gnat New Member

I quit smoking about 4 years ago I guess. I had quit once before and started back after 6 months. All it took was bumming a few cigs here and there. Then before you know it you're buying packs again.

I agree, you have to WANT to quit. I tasted a cig once about a year ago but immediately passed it back because it tasted like crap and I coughed hard. I would hardly call that relapse... more of a confirmation that smoking sucks. I haven't had any real desires to smoke since I quit the second time and I'm really happy for that.

12. eligh

eligh Go To A Meeting

Congrats, I have a feeling when I quit it will be something like that. For some reason after a little while it's like I forget that cigarettes suck and I need a reminder. Unfortunately, so far my reminder has gotten me back to smoking after a little while. Hopefully this New Year I will lose the desire to continue smoking.