SRS I QUIT Effexor!

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by Diesel Fumes, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

I just wanted to tell someone, thats all. I had been on 150mg for about 3 years and I went against the advice of my doctor and weened myself off it by taking the capsules apart and removing one extra pellet each day. It took a long time to ween off it and I still had withdrawal symptoms, but its been over 4 weeks now and I feel happier than I can remember in recent memory. Whats next for me? I dunno. Theres no doubt I feel a bit unstable without my drugs, im more prone to bouts of anger now, but I can control it if I just use some natural relaxation skills, eat well and exercise. I feel the drugs only gave my brain the time it needed to get shit in order again. But overall, I can conclude that the time I was on drugs was nothing short of a living hell, but I still think it has helped me and I have come out of this a better person.

Who here has come off effexor? Am I going to have any more withdrawal symptoms in the weeks to come? BTW, the headaches and shockwaves throughout my body have dissappeared, though for about 2 weeks my life sucked like you cannot believe.

2. Coottie

Coottie BOOMER......SOONER OT Supporter

Why are you going against the suggestions of your doctor?? You pay for his opinion and his YEARS of training...yet you don't have a Medical Degree, you haven't been to med school but you know better then him. Hmmmm...ok.

Perhaps you need a different doc...one that you can discuss your desires with (getting off these meds) and ask him to help you do just that.

Stopping what your doctor has suggested isn't all that smart now is it?

3. BradUF

BradUF Guest

I agree, if you want to quit get with another doctor if this one clearly is not going to help you.

4. i killed tupac

i killed tupac New Member

doctor doctor doctor therapist or something dont mess with this...

5. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

STFU. I dont pay him anything. And I think he is a jackass who just wants to make money from selling me drugs.

Ive had other doctors tell me that I can go off it. Its really my decision apparently and a lot of other doctors feel there was no need for me to go on effexor to begin with. It was only my family doc who said I shouldn't quit. And I can't say as he really knows that much about me to make an educated guess. And considering how I was put on it in the first place: I went in to his office, complained about having troubles staying focused on my school work. He assumed it was depression and gave me free samples of effexor and I took them for 2 weeks, then he kept giving me more for free. I never thought anything of it. Before I knew it he had me taking huge doses and I never seen a reason why. I did my own research and talked to others who took effexor and they all had wondered why I would need to be taking it. Im talking to life long friends.

6. Coottie

:rofl: emo much?

This is the asylum, for serious responses only....my advice was sound even if you don't like it.

And you should reread my post, I told ya if you can't work with the doc that has you on these pills, find another one that will help you get off the pills. I don't care if your friend was with you in the womb....if they aren't an MD, they don't have any business advising you on medical matters.

but whatev...you seem to just want to vent....ok

7. Jake!

Jake! Guest

:werd:

8. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

it doesn't matter because im off it now. Sorry, like I said im prone to bouts of anger. Here is no different I guess :dunno:

It was a choice I made and I came off it in seamingly the safest way possible. I know myself better than any MD knows me.

I reread your post and I still think its rubbish. Thanks for the response though, but I feel as though it was a pointless response. Just because someone is an MD it doesn't mean they know everything there is to know about medicine. Especially drugs which haven't exactly proved to be a miracle cure. He straight up told me that he doesn't know what will work for any one individual and that if I were to ever go off it, he wouldn't think negatively about it. He did tell me not to go off it, but I theorize that this is because he just wants to keep me coming back and making money off prescribing me drugs.

ANd I can't exactly afford it right now anyways. Even with medical coverage that pays 80% of the costs, I was still paying about 50 bucks a month for drugs. I dont have coverage now, so damned if im going to pay whatever astonomical dollar figure it would cost me now.

9. Coottie

Being prone to bouts of anger might be exactly the reason you need to be on these meds...but I dunno...I'm not a doc.

And you're certainly entitled to live your life however you want and I really wish you the best.

I've know ppl that have gotten off meds only to fucking kill themselves because they got so fucked up with real life shit. I've also know others that are fine. We can all provide examples to support any claim we choose to advance. However, if I was a betting man, I'd be more willing to place my money on docs then with non-docs.

Oh and your claim that docs won't ever know you better than you know you, is nice but IMO completly false. sure you know how your body is reacting but simply due to their years of training, they already know more about your body then you do. This is why I suggested finding a doc you can work with....so you can experience what it's like to have a partner in your health. SOme docs just push pills but the ones that really kick ass are the ones that will work with you and your desires to achive a healthy life.

Not every doc is the same tho and some truly suck. IF they graduate last in their class, they are still called doctor....but there's a huge difference between last and middle of the class.

Anyways, the point is moot.

10. BradUF

BradUF Guest

He gave you effexor for ADD? Oh you must be an adult because I know some doctors don't think ADD exists in adults so they consider it depression. Oh, adult ADD will cause bouts of anger.

11. 7960

7960 New Member

I think this post right here is enough proof that you need SOME kind of meds for two reasons:

1. He politely asked a few questions and made a few observations and you jumped down his throat?? WTF.... ironically my niece's advice would be "take a pill!"

2. You said he gave you the drugs for free and that you're not paying him but then you say he's trying to make money by selling you drugs, AND you realize he doesn't make money by selling you drugs, right?? He prescribes them, he doesn't sell them.

Go see another doc. Maybe effexor wasn't the right drug but you're sure demonstrating that you need some help with something.

12. Falconer

Falconer OT Supporter

Alright, I'm not going to support going against your doctor or anything, but that seems like a pretty clever way to ween yourself off. How many pellets were in a capsule? I'm curious by what perecentage you were reducing your dosage each time.

13. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

id guess that each capsule had somewhere around 300 pellets inside it.

14. HatSee

HatSee Active Member

I forget what I was at when I quit it, 225mg and getting bumped up to 300mg a day I believe.

But unlike you I was an idiot and quit cold turkey, it's brutal.

Even after being off it for about a year I am more "normal" but it seems like everything is a bit dazed now. I can't seem to concentrate as well as I remember, and things just don't seem right. Perhaps I'm still depressed and should not have dropped the medication, but I can't even imagine what my doctor would say if I showed up now after avoiding them for so long. :mamoru:

But I have to admit that it did help me out when I was put on it to start, but it kept "plateauing" and my dosage kept increasing, perhaps I may have found a good dosage that worked but it was getting pretty ridiculous, especially if I screwed up and missed my medication for a day. :hsd:

How was withdraw like lowering your dosage slowly like that? It was absolute hell cold turkey, I think in total it took me out of commission for about 2 months. :sadwavey:

15. kingtoad

kingtoad OT Supporter

Good job, man. Just don't recoil back into them when something tests you. Just maintain it.

16. Diesel Fumes

Diesel Fumes Guest

were you at 300mg/day then 0 the next day? If so, I can only imagine what it must have been like. I remember when I was on 150mg and I was on travel and ran out of pills, just those 2 days were enough to render me useless.

To me its all about not having to rely on drugs. What if I were living in ancient times and I complained about not being able to concentrate, what would they do? Tell you to smarten up, eat your greens and take care of yourself. Thats the key for me, I just need to take care of myself and realize that just because there is a drug, doesn't mean I need to take it to help.

17. Electric_Church

Electric_Church New Member

and your a dumb shit

18. Coottie

Hey dude...this is they Asylum, for serious responses only. Feel free to head back to OT anytime...or post constructive feed back.

19. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

you're

And remarks like this DO NOT belong here. Keep that crap in the main forum.

20. slowbird

slowbird I am the son, and the heir, of a shyness that is c OT Supporter

To be honest, I quit taking Effexor a while ago mostly because I kept forgetting to take it anyway, so I just gave up. I didn't really notice any withdrawal symptoms either.

I don't remember how I felt when I was taking it, that was so long ago...but I know that I don't really feel that great right now :hs: then again, some days I'm happy and excited about things. Mostly when I go see a movie I want to see or when something I ordered online comes in the mail. I think I'd be okay if it wasn't for the crappy job that makes me want to quit every second that I'm there.

21. Colonel Panic

Colonel Panic New Member

I was on Effexor 150mg for a few years and decided to get off. My Dr. scripted me a plan to ween off in a month. It was a bitch for a while but the withdrawals finally subsided. After about six months I went back to see the doc and told him I felt worse since being off them so he put me back on. I don't care if I'm on them for the rest of my life, it works great for me.

22. Eat Shit

Eat Shit OT Supporter

I did the same thing. I had some withdrawl symptoms when i forgot to take it for a few days. Id get sick for maybe a day or so, thats about it. When i finally quit, I didnt notice anything. I didnt even feel any different being on it or notice a change in anything........