SRS I overslept today and missed my legal appointment

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by JS1, Oct 19, 2006.

1. JS1

JS1 sup

Of all the mornings to oversleep, why today? I had a 9 AM appointment to talk to my lawyer about the house. Usually if you do something a few days later it makes no difference because the divorce process is so slow.

But I feel like I've started a chain reaction. The bank is threatening to foreclose on Nov. 1, my idiot wife refuses to make a payment on the mortgage (now three months late), and I needed to tell my lawyer to tell her lawyer that she has to pay the past due amount or the bank will foreclose on the house.

Once it goes into foreclosure, I'm fucked. It's not the money that I might get from selling the house, because I already owe so much money anyway it makes no difference to me. The problem is that I will look like shit in a final divorce because they will blame me for letting the house go into foreclosure. There's also the practical effects, namely that my wife will continue to live in her McMansion for a few more months until the bank takes the house. Then she will have a hard time renting an apartment because she will have a foreclosure and eviction on her record, and then she will move in with her parents in Texas, which means my three children will be living in a pig sty.

I am such a stupidfuck! I have plenty of Valium; why didn't I take one last night at 8 PM or so? Why the fuck did I have to stay up until 5 AM? (browsing OT to boot)

Someone please smack the shit out of me, I deserve it. :(

2. 7960

7960 New Member

Why can't you just call her and say "If you don't make a payment on the house the bank is going to foreclose and we're BOTH going to lose."

?
    If she's living there but not making payments how is that going to reflect badly on you?
    Maybe because somehow you wanted this to happen?

I mean, you knew you had an appt but you stayed up until 5am. That's bad enough but you're not screwed until, for whatever reason, you thought it was a good idea to "lay down for an hour." Why did you do that?? Take a shower, get dressed (now it's 5:45am), get back on OT for an hour (6:45am), eat breakfast (7:15am), OT for a few more (7:30am) and go to the appt.

3. Darketernal

Darketernal Watch: Aria The Origination =)

We don't have to hit you at all. You are hitting yourself already with your unfavourable actions. The negative consequenses are reflected back as a mirror and add misery onto your life.

What you need to understand is that you need to bring order into chaos. If you don't understand that if you live outside the lawfull rules that keep everything set into place, you'll run into shit like this. If i where you id pray to God for a happy ending and would do everything in my power to get your a hold of yourself and save your own ass.

4. JS1

JS1 sup

I did. Her argument is that I've been ordered by the Family Court to pay $1,000 of the mortgage payment (it's $1,200 a month). I don't have a thousand dollars laying around after paying for her child support, outragous alimony, and my meager living expenses. She doesn't care that she could make the payment anyway and then get the missing $1,000 in a property settlement. She is a retard who is incapable of thinking beyond the most simple of transactions.

I talked to her yesterday about this, and I was trying to explain to her the ramifications of not making a payment. I told her that because I don't have any money, and she has plenty of money, obviously the best thing to do is for her to make a payment and keep the house out of foreclosure. When she refused, I said "Are you stupid?!!!"

Theoretically no, but since I'm the husband and I have a job and she doesn't, in the eyes of the law in this idiotic redneck state in which I live, it's all my fault.

I don't know why I did that. I didn't want it to happen; I just fucked up staying up most of the night and then trying to get two hours of sleep.

5. JS1

JS1 sup

He doesn't have time until next week. I'm afraid he's not making my case a priority because I still owe him $1,500.

I've called them about four times in the last month. If I make a payment, I won't be able to pay the alimony for this month, and if I get behind on alimony, I'll go to jail (again). If the house goes into foreclosure, I won't go to jail. It's so fucking stupid how family law works in this state (and probably most states, but I think it's more fucked up in SC). But I would rather see my wife (and kids, unfortunately) get booted out by the sheriff to the streets than go to jail.

6. 7960

7960 New Member

So, she got a settlement that you can't afford and now you're saying she should be using her money to pay for a house you can't afford? If you owe money on it let it go to foreclosure. You're not making court-mandated payments so it's not like a forclosure it going to make a difference in the long run.
    I don't know...sounds like she's pretty smart, actually.
    You need a better lawyer.
    Freud has a reason, and it's that you wanted it to happen. I know you say you didn't want it to and I don't necessarily believe that either but then again you have to ask yourself "why did I make such a poor decision?"

7. JS1

JS1 sup

Yes, she should use her cash and we can do the accounting in the property settlement. Basically she would be loaning me $1,000.

How is that smart? She is cutting off her nose to spite her face. She stands to lose about $10,000 worth of equity (assuming we split it 50/50). $2,500 turns into $10,000 ==> easy choice.

He's a very good lawyer, which is why he's expensive. I started with a less expensive lawyer (but not that cheap, at $200/hour), and she sucked ass big time.

I'll have to ask my shrink about that.

8. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

If she doesn't have a job, how does she have $1000 laying around each month to pay YOUR share of the mortgage payment? Stop blaming her and start taking responsibility for your own actions.

How old are your children?

9. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

I killed the thread :o

10. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

good job :mad:

:love:

11. JS1

JS1 sup

Why would she need a job? She's getting $4,000 a month in spousal support as it is. She can easily afford to live on $3,000 a month for everything else.

The kids are 11, 9 and 7.

12. XPX

XPX New Member

Well, you know you did wrong and accepted your mistake, that's a great first step.

From now own you must learn from it and make things right, do whatever is needed to improve your situation. Is that possible? Personal loan to save the house from going into foreclosure...:dunno:

13. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

:hsugh: That's not the point. YOU were ordered to pay the mortgage. It's YOUR responsibility, not hers.

BTW you had not mentioned the amount of spousal support ;) What do you do for a living? Sounds like you should have been able to afford a better lawyer :o

14. darnit

darnit New Member

You obviously havn't been folllowing his other threads. the judge ordered him to pay more than he makes:eek3: ..
    Oh.. but thats ok , isn't it.. he's supposed to be responsible.:ugh2:
    Here lets do some math
    5200 a month total
    lets see.. her rent is $200 a month aftre HE makes the payment
    maybe what 200-300 in utilities/phone/cable
    That leaves he with over 4500 a month for what?
    lest say 1000 for food for his kids and her.. kind of high , but if they bought all name brands , and in small amounts and ate out alot..
    that leaves 3,500
    ohh wait.. hair stuff, thats another 1000..:rolleyes:
    that still leaves 2500
    I've said it before in another thread.. you got hosed.. go to the press.. scream from the highest mountain.

15. Cerridwen

Cerridwen Guest

No I don't follow his other threads :hsugh:

How the hell can a judge order him to pay more than he makes? That doesn't sound suspicious to anybody else?

16. Boy Bravado

Boy Bravado fuck this

I just read the other thread. :eek3:

That's one of the most horrible divorce stories I've ever heard of.

I really feel for ya, man, I really do. I really, really hope you'll win in the end, if not, then what the fuck is the point of being a providing husband and father in this generation?

17. 7960

7960 New Member

Depends on how much he has invested in other "stuff."

I have a friend who got some stock at a start-up company. He got divorced and the judge used his stock as part of his income. He was ordered to pay $7,000/month even though his bi-weekly paycheck was about $2,800. He actually had to sell stock every month to pay his alimony, mortgage, buy groceries, etc.

Eventually he went back to court and got it changed. He gave her a lump of stock and basically bought her off. He no longer had to pay alimony (he still paid hundreds in child support which he didn't mind at all). She ended up pissing away about $500,000 in stock and went back to court to go for more. In a rare display of common sense the judge agreed with my friend and said she was "nuts if she thought she could spend all her money and come asking for more."

My friend now has custody of the kids. His ex- is a waitress at a diner.

18. nish81

nish81 OT Supporter

:werd:
    This sounds like a good idea...

19. KatWoman

KatWoman •••••••••••

Winnar :ugh2: What the hell did she blow it on? That amount could sustain my husband and I with our current lifestyle for just over 7 years :eek5:

20. violatorx54

violatorx54 New Member

Just goes to show you how vindictive some girls are.

I once dated this girl who's mother went through a nasty divorce. The ex had several tax liens against their credit. So the mom refused to work (this is like 10 years after the divorce mind you) because any money she made would be garnished, meanwhile the ex got diagnosed with terminal cancer, the girl I was dating lived with the retard of a mom in a shack that was paid for by the grandmother's social security.

I'm never getting married.

21. JS1

JS1 sup

I tried but I don't qualify for any credit. My credit score is 499.

I am going to invest a few bucks in a vasectomy. While it doesn't improve the current situation, at least I won't have to worry about repeating the mistake.