I never thought that a simple 3M job could do what it did...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by RenaultFreak, Jul 31, 2005.

1. RenaultFreak

RenaultFreak OMG

This left me speechless...I'm upset I couldn't get pics of this transformation. My friend kept telling me about this place where they apply 3M products and such and that it was cheap (about US$45 or so for full exterior detailing) and yesterday I went with him to see what's the deal...

His car had a very oxidized paint, it's a 1992 car so years of old wax, sun, bird poop and more shitty polish/wax jobs took their time on that paint, we got up to the place at 8am and right away the guy told us that the car needed to be wet sanded for the procedure to work as intended, since the paint was very dull and rough we said it was ok to do it, after the wet sanding it looked horrible.

We actually got scared but the guy was happy and proceeded to work his magic with the 3M products (Perfect-it III line up, polishers, rubbing compounds and sealants) and 4 hours later my friend could barely hide his feelings, the car now looks really close to brand new! it is unbelivable, I was across the street talking to some girl at the Renault dealer ( :o ) and when I saw the car come out of the room I was impressed, of course some details won't dissapear as the paint is severely damaged but those details can be easily overlooked, you need to be careful to notice them...

I got a couple questions:

1) Why did the guy always kept the machine at an angle? like only using 50% of the pad?

2) Do rotational speeds matter for each product?

People like Scottwax never ceaze to amaze me :bowdown:

2. dan avoN7

dan avoN7 New Member

yea i would like to know more about question #2. I just got a PC and did my car and both my parents cars recently. I've just been applying the product to the pad, dabbing it around the area i want to work on, lightly going over it all on speed 3 to spread the product, then stepping up to speed 5 and going about an inch of surface per second. I'm mainly using DACP, Swirl free polish, Clearkote Vanilla Moose, and EX-P. Should i use different speeds for each product?

3. NorthPac

NorthPac New Member

"1) Why did the guy always kept the machine at an angle? like only using 50% of the pad?"

There is two ways of placing the pad down, one is at an angle and the other is flat. Placing the rotary at an angle I have more control. Speed you really don't need a heck of lot of speed about 900 to 1500 rpm's. You can use more speed is the condition calls for it but the risks are higher for losing control or causing damage. I have a variable speed rotary I slow down and speed up but you really have to have some experience doing that. On the products you can use and the speed, well that's all up to the temperature, the pad and the condition you are working on. Rotaries can cause damage real quick but with a trained hand you can have a car done real quick.

Like my friend I was doing his truck that had a lot of defects he wanted to use the rotary I warned him but he wanted to use it anyway he got to buffing and hit the antenna at 1500 rpm’s and the antenna went flying and so did the pad.

I use the PC more then the rotary, I haven’t used the rotary in months now