I never thought I'd end up doing more harm than good to my car...

Discussion in 'That'll Buff Right Out' started by tekknikal, Sep 6, 2004.

1. tekknikal

tekknikal Nothing's ever been better than that

So I got my stuff from pakshak the other day. VMW,EXP,Megs #80, WW MF towel, another MF towel and some foam pads.
    I already had some MF towels and other odds n ends.
    My car is black and hasnt ever been waxed/polished or anything. I figured today was a good day to do it.
    I started at 6am and washed the car. First I tried to clay a section of the car and I was having trouble: I couldnt get the clay to rub against the car.. it didnt seem to want to form the shape of the car's body. I was lubricating the car and trying and trying and it just wasnt working out that well. In the end I figured one panel was enough.. didn't see or feel a difference so I thought I could go ahead and try to use megs #80.

Well that didn't work out so well either. All I can figure is that I'm missing something. All I've read online seems to just say 'apply' it without anything specific. I'm not sure how its supposed to look or feel before/during. And yes, I've read the stickies and other posts here and on several other forums. Anyway I applied this stuff with the yellow foam pad and covered the car with it. Unfortunately for me it rained a little (sprinkled) .. I figured no problem, I used a MF towel to get the rest off. It was then that I noticed that the car was full of swirl marks. Really bad ones. They didnt look deep like scratches or anything, but it was to the point where if the sun was shining on the car it made bands all over the hood. Very depresing. Anyway I dont know what else to say about this....

Any pointers on what might have happened, how I can prevent it, and exactly how I use megs #80 (or anything else I got for that matter) would be very much appreciated.

Maybe the other threads are geared towards people with more experience than me :dunno: but please dont assume anything and just break this down to me cause I'm just fucking this up. :sad2:

2. tekknikal

the car is 4 months old. I'll post pics before the job in a sec. I got frustrated and washed the car with dawn to take everything out. I also noticed I have small white marks on some of the plastic. I guess this is where the #80 made contact. How do I get it out?

edit: i attached a couple pics. maybe i shouldnt have bothered and this is as good as the car will ever look? :confused:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

it keeps raining off and on now, even though the sun comes out :mad:
    the first pic was taken with the sun in the clouds.

anyway some specific questions: how much of these products should i be using? how long do i leave them on the car for? (I didnt put them on in direct sunlight)

Last edited: Sep 6, 2004
  3. perry

perry burp

Did you read the swirl remover sticky? See Scott's reply in there, #80 should work the same way

http://forums.offtopic.com/showthread.php?t=782150

Maybe also this article: http://www.bettercarcare.com/articles.php?articleId=17

It's a polish, so just putting it on doesn't really do much. You actually have to move it around so that the polish can work. Try working on small sections at a time with the #80, instead of applying to the entire car and then trying to remove it. Once you're happy with the way that small section looks, move on to the next.

For the EX-P, you'll want to start with a slightly damp foam applicator.. Few sprays of water from a spray bottle should do. Apply about a dime sized drop to the applicator. I kinda like to spread it around the foam with my finger. Then I make medium length straight line passes across the paint with the foam applicator. With EX-P, try to use as little as possible. Make it a game for yourself -- trying to get the thinnest coat possible. If you're working outside, apply to a panel and remove. If inside, you can apply it to the entire car, wait 45 minutes to an hour, then buff off with a MF towel.

:dunno: about VM.. never used it. But from the stuff I've read, you probably could get away with just VM + EX-P for your first time. The car looks like it is in pretty good shape, so it may not need the abrasiveness of #80.

4. tekknikal

thanks for the article, ive already read the sticky though. word for word in detail...

i figure i must have been putting too much on, although I'm not sure how that put swirls into the paint.
    from a distance of maybe 10ft you wont see much wrong with the paint. you only see the problems when the sun shines directly on the paint and youre a couple feet away looking directly at it. Now I'm not sure if VMW will do the job of taking care of the swirls or #80 or what. I'll take a second look at it though and try to do a little section with dime sized drop of VM and see if it helps.

5. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

If you read the stickies, then why did you simply apply #80 with a foam pad? In addition, the directions on the back of a bottle of #80 specifically say to work until nearly dry. If you use #80 exactly as specified in the swirl removal sticky, you will not get any swirls or surface marring. You have to use the products properly to get the best results. Don't wash with Dawn either. :nono:

Use regular car wash soap. Any polish will take off old product.

Start over with #80 and follow the directions in the sticky. Folded terry cloth towel, work product until nearly dry, refold towel for each section.

6. tekknikal

To answer your first question, I dont have a decent terry cloth towel, unless youre saying a typical bathroom towel works.

I read the back of the bottle (work until nearly dry) but was having trouble anyway. I realized that I must have been using too much, so I used less. I think this was the key thing I was missing, you really shouldnt use a lot. Maybe this was understood by everyone else, but as a first timer I didn't realize how little I needed to use.

I know your attitude toward dawn but I wanted everything off the paint, this was my first time using dawn as well.. I normally use normal car wash soap, nxt actually. Since I was starting over and I was frustrated I wanted everything off.

In any case I redid the job and I think it came out better.
    Heres a pic from afterword. I'm satisfied with how it turned out (got a lot of the swirls out), but I think there's room for improvement.

[​IMG]

7. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

Please tell me what Dawn will get off your car that regular car wash soap won't?

Also, when applying/removing any product to/from your car, use back and forth motion, like the way the ind flows over your vehicle. I'd bet that's where some of your swirls came from.

And yes, a normal bathroom towel is terrycloth. If we say use one thing, and you use another, you can't expect to get the same results.

8. tekknikal

Sure, as far as I know, #80 and VMW (I had experimented with this on a panel). Does #80 come off without dawn?

True but I read that (in the sticky) and I did it that way (back and forth) :dunno:

True again but I thought at worst I wouldnt see much improvement. It doesnt make sense to me that a foam applicator would damage the car, so long as the right amount of product is used. I feel that I'm right on that, although I don't disagree with you that a typical terry cloth towels give better results. Next time I'll try that.

9. Jackhole

Jackhole New Member

There's nothing to remove with #80 or VM. You've already removed them when you buffed the product off your paint. Neither of them are waxes, they don't leave anything on your paint. Therefore, Dawn isn't taking off anything. It's just dulling your paint.

I'll never understand why people are so obsessed with Dawn washes.

10. tekknikal

didnt know that, thanks for the info. for some reason i thought that they left something on your paint and that dawn took it off.

a few questions:
    1 if i wanted to take off exp, how would you suggest I do it? by using #80?
    2 when applying #80 do you agree with me that my using too much is what made it so ineffective? could too little be similarly harmful? (quantity isnt covered in the sticky)
    3 could i layer ex-p to get better results, by just washing it and doing it again?
    i saw a black m3 on here that looked amazing.. i think the poster used vm/exp... im looking for similar results.

11. Scottwax

Scottwax Making detailing great again! Moderator

#80 is not a wax, although it does have some protective qualities, making it great for finishing out new paint. Going back over it with #80 again will remove any protection #80 might have laid down.

1. Vanilla Moose will remove EX-P. Always use the least aggressive product to get the results you want.

2. Too little won't really hurt, you just won't be able to work a large area.

3. You can add another layer of EX-P after washing. Two should be sufficient.

You may be limited by the quality of your factory paint as to how good it can look. I've seen Ford trucks that have better paint than Mercedes S600s so no matter what you would do to the S600, the truck would always look a bit better. If you regularly polish and wax your car, it will look better than 99% of the other G35s on the road, and judging from the pics you posted, it does. :bigthumb: