MMA I never really followed boxing till I started training...

Discussion in 'OT Bar' started by konrad109, Sep 10, 2007.

1. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

Yesterday I was looking at some Roy Jones highlights and info when I learned about the McClellan vs Nigel Benn fight. Youtube has some interviews with both Benn and McClellan some years after the fight and they are both wrecks. McClellan is blind, deaf, and partially retarded and Benn is badly depressed from what happened on that night. He tried committing suicide.

I am still feeling kinda anxious and sick to my stomach. I am about to go to boxing training but I keep imagining hitting one of my sparring partners too hard and something happening to them or something happening to me sometime down the road after too many headshots.

Ugh this is shitty feeling. I've heard about deaths and brain injuries from boxing before but I never really thought about it much untill I actually saw the victims of it. I mean I doubt it any serious brain injury will actually happen at this level but I can't get the thought of it out my head.

2. checkii

checkii ฝรั่งตาน้ำข้าว

you have been doing this for something like 2 months. there is absolutely no reason you should be in a ring hitting someone, or getting hit by someone hard enough to do any damage.

If you are truely worried about it happeneing to you, then you might want to reconsider your gym contract. If you are worried about hurting someone else? don't. Fuck them. They are your boys in there, but they signed up for it just liek you did. Injuries are part of the game.

What you should be doing is worrying more about making yourself a better boxer so that you can avoid taking too much damage (i know, the best ever are wearing drool cups).

Don't let the negative influence your confidence or your drive. just let it be your decision maker for when its time to quit or time to step up to a next level or down back to a previous level.

good luck.

3. konrad109

konrad109 New Member

We spar pretty hard sometimes, but we keep our chins down and hands up pretty well so nobody really gets injured. The hard shots that land are usually on the forehead.

What bothered me about the McClellan fight is the shot that made him take a knee and put him into a coma didn't look all the hard. I'm worried that the shots I take to the head that don't phase me in a fight will add up slowly and 20 years down the road I'm gonna need a drool bucket. I'm probably just overthinking this but I was hoping to keep boxing for a good long time but not if it hurts my mental health the long run.

4. Kozzy McKoz

Kozzy McKoz OT Supporter

There is a difference between just sparring and getting your dome smashed over a decade of professional boxing. :hsugh:

5. CrazyInteg

CrazyInteg Honda-Acura.net OG

by other professional boxers. Two amateurs sparring with big gloves on and headgear is not going to make you retarded.

My Muay Thai picked up a lot when we had some boxers join the class. There is definitely a lot of good technique that can be learned from boxing.

Getting hit hard sucks, but it just makes you work harder to avoid that happening again. Also it "knocks" some real sense into you.