I needs me a REAL cheap set of 5.1 speakers.

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by Ryuhei, Feb 6, 2006.

1. Ryuhei

Ryuhei Oh gawd

I have a nice TV, nice DVD player, and a nice receiver. I also have a new baby so the nice 5.1 speakers are going to have to wait. I want some 5.1's in the mean time but dunno anything about the cheaper type speakers. I have a Yamaha HTR-5750 receiver, Mitsu WS-48515 TV, and a Sony NSP-750 something or other DVD player. What speakers can I couple with all this shit for CHEAP? Thanks!

2. GlocksRock

GlocksRock Glock > You

I think walmart has a set of really inexpensive 5.1 speakers, like for about $50 or so I think.

3. veonake

veonake OnT poster, OT lurker

Just go to best buy and have a listen I guess. Why not spend equal money on a better 2-channel system? Do you primarily watch movies? If so, are they heavy in 5.1 material? Only if you answered yes to both the previous questions would I pick cheap 5.1's over decent 2 channel (well, I wouldn't, but it's the only case I would recommend to someone else).

4. Ryuhei

Ryuhei Oh gawd

Uh. I'm new to all this. 2 channel...? I just need some inexpensive speakers to go with my receiver and I figured since most movies and stuff are 5.1 I should get that. No?

5. Soulfire

Soulfire No Pain, No Gain

^ Good idea if your looking for "CHEAP"

Cheap and decent at the same time, I would say your gonna need to spend at least 200. Anything under 200 and you'll be looking at a small satalite speaker setup.

The less money you spend the small the speakers are going to get. And small speakers = small sound. So you maybe want to drop a little cash to get some sizable speakers. If you could find some cheap floorstandars you'll be in good shape.

Good luck.

6. about:blank

about:blank Whether you think that you can or that you can't,

Just buy some JBL E20/E30 bookshelves in the mean time and slowly upgrade to 5.1. A decent 2 speaker system will sound a lot better than a cheap 5.1 setup.

7. Ryuhei

Ryuhei Oh gawd

I appreciate all the responses but I think I've decided to bite the bullet and get the Definitive Technology Pro Cinema 60s. I didn't skimp on anything else why start now, right? Thanks!