I needs a new mp3 player v. 4-8 GB

Discussion in 'OT Technology' started by ranthal, Mar 28, 2008.

1. ranthal

ranthal i did what?

I've had terrible luck with mp3 players so far. Most recently my 30 gig Zune was crushed between a car door on the way home from snowboarding. Now I'm looking for smaller, cheaper mp3 players and need suggestions. So far I've kinda narrowed it to:

Sansa Fuze-4 or 8 gigs, expandable memory, thin, still new so not too many reviews, read that interface is dull & screen quality suffers from anti-scratch coating
    Sansa e260-4 gig, cheaper w/ recent release of fuze, also expandable, kinda bulkier, heard buttons and scroll wheel aren't that great
    Creative Zen V Plus-small, no expandable memory but comes in 4 & 8 gig models, i have fat thumbs so buttons & joystick might not be easy to use

My criteria: Mainly for music but if I get a 4 gig model I would like to be able to expand it to about 6 gigs, want to work out with it, not Zune or iPod, about $100-$150

Which one should I go with/any other recs?

cliffs: Need new small mp3 player thats not a Zune or iPod, what should I choose?

2. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

why not an ipod?

3. ranthal

ranthal i did what?

too expensive, too many bad experiences w/ them breaking right after warranty expires, hate itunes...

4. deusexaethera

deusexaethera OT Supporter

Check out my review of the Creative Zen in this forum. There's also 4GB and 8GB versions, though I prefer to have plenty of room to grow.

And I agree with your distaste for the iPod, though more on principle than from experience. I just don't want to hand one guy the ability to sell AND play my music, because then I can't listen to anything he doesn't want to sell me.

5. ranthal

ranthal i did what?

yeah all my prev players (ipod photo, toshiba gigabeat and 1st gen zune in that order) have been larger capacity but for the luck i've had with them ive decided to go smaller since i use them for pretty active stuff like running and snowboarding.

as for the review...
    1. i heard bout the no ac charger which sucks but isn't a huge deal to me, i managed w/ the zune.
    2. one of the big concerns i have w/ the smaller versions is the controls cuz like w/ the iPhone i cant use the touch keyboard cuz of my big thumbs
    3. i like the idea of it being solid state 16 gig so do u know of any good deals on that?

good review though, any other good refs?

6. asp

asp New Member

Sansa fuse is supposed to be pretty good but apparently the interface isnt so hot

7. Coddle

Coddle New Member

8. DaveyD

DaveyD Fuck Ohio State, son

I have had my nano for over a year with no problems. User Error. There are other programs to music on an ipod, like winamp. Again, user error v.2

9. P07r0457

P07r0457 New Member

for once i agree with daveyd.

I've had a few ipod nanos, and save for upgrading to higher capacity or replacing a stolen ipod, they've been very solid products, for me.

That is in stark contrast to the hard-drive based ipods -- which I have had problems with.

10. fattie64

fattie64 New Member

sansa e200 series is what you want.

11. deusexaethera

I bought mine on Amazon, but you can search Dealtime.com for the best price.

Amazon has a few decent reviews of the thing, as does CNet.

12. End

End You've got that shotgun shine

Cowon D2

there's no other alternative

13. TOAD

TOAD New Member

I've got a D2 too and it's great. Expandable SD slot is a nice touch.

14. Phantom Empress

Phantom Empress mmmmmm tasty!!!

i just got a Sansa e280. I'm lovin git.. but we had a hell of a time getting it to change from MTP to MSC format

15. deusexaethera

MTP vs. MSC isn't an issue with the Zen; it switches automatically. It also uses a normal USB-to-mini-USB cable instead of some proprietary shit.

There are a nice set of portable speakers with a pop-out dock that the Sansa can use, though, so if that's important to you, it's worth considering.