GUN I need your advice v.handgun

Discussion in 'On Topic' started by SlowTA367, Jan 6, 2007.

1. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

I went to the gunstore today, since I'm finally 21, and I was checking out the Glocks, XDs, and a Sig P226. The Sig was priced $650 and they guy said he would give me $450 for my Colt 1911 if I wanted to trade it in. So, I'm looking at $200 before tax.

Its really damn tempting, but I don't know what to do. I was really looking for a P229. Is the difference in size going to make that much difference in a carry gun?

What would you do?

2. For carry get the sig, or even better, a glock. ;)

The extra size will matter between the sig and the 1911.

3. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

Well, I meant the size difference between the P229 and the P226.

And how can I find out what my Colt is worth?

4. Sorry, I thought you meant with the 1911.

5. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

Yeah, actually its for Slow TRANS AM. And its a Series 80 Colt.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. 01_Cruiser

01_Cruiser An American Classic OT Supporter

jesus, that's worth so much more than $450 :rofl:

7. soccaian

soccaian New Member

:werd:

8. kellyclan

kellyclan She only loves you when she's drunk.

Gold Cups were the budget model of Colt's early 1980's Metal Cup line. Platinum Cup's routinely go for $450-500 used these days, so if he's offering you $450 for a Gold, I'd jump on the deal before he realizes what it's really worth.

9. Slick26

Slick26 Gun|Bike|Cigar|PS3|Beer |Whisky|Night Crew

There's a pretty good difference in heft between the 226 and 229.
    Even the 229 can be difficult for some to carry. The 226 just isnt a CCW gun. Maybe a duty gun... but since its a full-size, you'd have a hard time carrying it for long periods of time. Sigs are heavy.

10. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

I agree, my 226 is heavy as hell. Glock 19 ftw

11. That's a good point. My cop friend has a 229 that he carries off duty. I always give him shit because my glock, loaded, weighs only 1.5oz more than his 229 unloaded.

12. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

I dunno, after holding the Sig, the Glock feels like a damn toy. And my dad has 2 G19s, so I kind of want something different.

It seems like a good deal to me, because I paid $500 for the Colt a year ago. Losing $50 after a year of use doesn't seem too bad, unless its worth significantly more than that.

13. bigboostdsm

bigboostdsm New Member

Glock 19 is going to be a 21st bday present to myself at the end of this month.

I think if you plan on carrying it a compact frame is probably your best bet. Maybe just go to your local gun dealer and hold as many guns as you can to see what fits in your hand the best. That's what you should carry, something you're extremely comfortable with. At least, that's what I've always been told.

14. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

Well, how much is my Colt worth? Everyone keeps acting like its worth a shitload, but nobody is saying how much. If its worth quite a bit more, I'll just hang on to it and maybe sell it on down the road.

Between the sig, glock, and xd, the sig felt the best in my hand. The xd just doesn't feel right to me. I still don't know what the hell to do.

15. KIDRR

KIDRR Duck dog>* OT Supporter

Yeah you're right. If you get the Glock you'll be carrying it around every day saying to yourself "This thing is just too small and light to be carrying every day, I need to get a bigger heavier gun to carry around" :ugh2:

16. Slick26

I agree with everyone's advice about not using a current gun to buy a new gun. You will definitely regret it. I say, honestly, who cares how much your Colt is worth, its YOUR gun... keep it. In 20 years you'll thank us for talking you out of trading it in. You're down on it a little right now, I understand, its happened to me... but you can rekindle the flame. :bigthumb:

I sold my G17 to a buddy and ended up buying it back from him because a.) I terribly missed it; and b.) it made me extremely nervous for someone else to have MY gun in their hands, considering it was technically still in my name.

Slow, you and I are in the same boat. And the guns you've been looking at are essentially the same ones I've been considering as well. I in no way want to influence your decision, but I'm leaning toward the Sig P229 myself. But I already have a Glock. And I'd love to have more in the future, just not for my next purchase. I completely understand what you mean when you say the Sig makes the Glock feel like a toy gun. The fit and finish and feel of pretty much any model Sig are incredible, and the extra heft really helps buffer recoil. But you need to make the decision on whether its too heavy to carry or not. That's really what I'm down to as well. Of course, I'm 5'10" and 235, lol, so I doubt it'll affect me as much. Probably just jab into my gut is all.

You certainly could do worse than a Glock as your carry gun. They are incredible weapons that rarely have major issues. Sigs have been a little more notorious for quality issues and failures, but I do believe many, if not all, have been addressed. I guess the good thing about Sig, is they have an incredible customer service staff if you do have an unforunate issue. Unlike TaurASS. Same with Glock, great CS.

17. krott5333

krott5333 Guest

even with a good belt and holster, a polymer gun is going to feel so much better at the end of the day.

18. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

I appreciate everyone's advice, and I decided to keep the Colt. I know damn well that I'd regret getting rid of it.

The reason that P226 is so appealing is that its a factory recondition, so its quite a bit cheaper than new, and it has the same warranty as a new one.

19. Slick26

:bigthumb:

I found a Sig factory reconditioned P229 on gunsamerica.com for $559. Thinkin' about snagging it soon.

20. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

Do it! Buy me one too while you're at it.

21. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

:wiggle: I know man, I'm glad you guys got me to pull my head out.

22. Slick26

:bigthumb:

23. SlowTA367

SlowTA367 New Member

On another note, does anyone know where I can get a spring kit for the 1911?

24. Platinum_Thunder

Platinum_Thunder Reliability for life and liberty

if you're a pussy

25. JaimeZX

JaimeZX Formerly of :Sep 2001: fame - Also: Sprout Crew OT Supporter